PDA

View Full Version : *** September-October Super Challenge VOTING: Mapping the Big Apple ***

torstan
11-03-2010, 11:48 AM
The largest challenge we've ever run has come to a close. The challenge was to create a map of New York for an upcoming gallery show at the Soho Gallery for Digital Art. We have a wide variety of entries and I'd like to take the opportunity to congratulate everyone who successfully finished a submission - this was a huge task.

Please have a look over the Thumbs here:

Thumbnails for September/October Challenge (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Sep10.htm)

This month we have 26 entries, so please vote for your top 6 (six) maps. Remember to rep any map that you vote for, as well as any others that you feel deserve it.

This poll will close in 4 days time (the 7th of November).

RjBeals
11-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Only 6. Impossible. I printed the thumbnail page, and am using small post-it sticky notes to help with choices. I have 9 maps selected, and I don't know how I'm going to take 3 away.

Good luck everyone!

geamon
11-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Here's my six picks and why.

RjBeals: Very nice work man. I love someone who has a varied and lively palette of colors.
cereth: Hints at Lovecraftian styled New York stories that are just waiting to be written.
Djekspek: I just love your isometric hand drawn look, inspiring.
Larb: Awesome RPG styled map, makes me wanna play some sessions based in that time.
Lumisade: Very creative and inspiring. Hoping that you can continue to contribute from time to time even though you more into creative art.
Moutarde: I love the simplicity of the style and how the off white colors are only hinted at but make the difference.

Again props to everyone I wish I could have been motivated and finished my piece.

Jaxilon
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a couple questions - First, didn't you do a map Torstan?

Second, I noticed on Ravells' map that he had the CC stamp on it. Is that a problem for the gallery being able to sell it? For some reason I was thinking you needed to leave that off. Maybe that was rules from another contest or maybe they are only selling the "printing" so it doesn't matter? Or, maybe it should be removed. Just pointing it out.

Lots of really fine looking entries folks.

torstan
11-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I believe that CC never stops the actual copyright owner (Ravells) from selling a copy of his work - but I'll let an actual lawyer (like Ravells :) ) answer that one.

I did put together a couple of pieces but they didn't get to the point of being finished by the deadline. I pulled them out from the voting and will keep on working on them.

Avengeil
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
All of these entries are just amazing. I am postponing my vote for a few days because I don't have enough free time at hand and because I really want to check every single map.

RjBeals
11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Larb: New Amsterdam - plain and simple, but georgous. The docks/boats won this vote from me.

Immolate: Zombies in Central Park - Still looking for the zombies!? You spent a ton of time detailing this out, and it's georgous. The newspaper font and border bring it together nicely. Great job.

Djekspek: New York Makeover - I wish I could do that. You have such a talent. While I don't really consider this a map, it sure is a piece of art. You have such control over that pen.

Cereth: Never York - This map looks like it came straight from a genuine historic collection. The soft grays and blues blend so well. Very soft. I love it.

Sapiento: Carte de Nouvelle Reims - Something about the feel of this map just appeals to me. The aged parchemnt with the red borders looks great.

and of course, RjBeals: Hip Hop - I spent too much time not to vote for myself ;)

mearrin69
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
And, once again, I can't count. I only voted for four...doh. Mine were for Djekspek, Gallifreyan, RjBeals, and Sapiento (#2). Nice work everyone!
M

Marken4
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
My votes went to (in random order)

RJBeals (Ofc. The colourscheme is amazing. And the history behind it makes it even better)
Sapiento (The PApeice. I really like how this turned out, the bevel may be slightly to harsh tho, but I forgive you :P)
Larb (Real clean and nice, I've never tried CD3 tho, so I don't now if this is easy to make or not)
Popup (Love the cute little ISOgraphics and the work lay down in the advertisement and ****s)
Djekspek (Wow, this was a last minute save. I love drawings like this)
Crayons ("New Amsterdam in Three Deee". 'Cause I just love Three Dee.)

If I had two more votes they would go to Crayons disastermap (Was waiting for a nice colourscheme or something, sorry. It looks too messy) and probably Cereth (Too pale for my taste, sorry..)

Larb
11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Marken4: It was made in photoshop by the way, not CD3.

I always find voting difficult usually because I hate ranking things or I want to pick more, but I ended up voting for:

RJBeals: I thought the map looked really nice but was also really informative.
Crayons: I really like seeing three dimensional maps like this and it was also nice to see someone elses version of New Amsterdam.
DjekSpek: I'm a big fan of architecture and building diagrams and I thought this one was great! And now I know what the fort is supposed to look like!
Immolate: It was nice to see a map of the park and it looked very nice.
Industrial Helix: I thought the map had a nice dreamy quality to it and was very visually pleasing.
Mrmox42: This one was really cute!

RecklessEnthusiasm
11-04-2010, 03:28 PM
My votes are going to, in alphabetical order:

Crayons - Your monster map is absolutely one of my favorite concepts here, just a really appealing idea. While it is pretty 'rough around the edges' in presentation (intentional no doubt!) I can easily see the detail and craftsmanship you put in. Truly wonderful.
Djekspek - Your New York Makeover is just beautiful and, to me, looks like one of the tops in term of artistic tallent demonstrated. It has a great vibe, a clean presentation, and I think it will catch a lot of eyes in the gallery.
Industrial Helix - Absolutely the most aesthetically beautiful map here. The techniques and colors used are just gorgeous. While I tend to get behind maps with 'ideas' to them, the crisp, clean presentation makes this one of my favorites.
Larb - The thumbnail really didn't do this one justice, and I'm glad I opened it up to see the full version--while most people (me especially) depend on fancy-pants textures, there is a lot to be said for this kind of solid, smooth presentation. The overall profiles are great, the crispness of the lines really does it for me. It was the docks and the ships in particular that won me over and earned the vote.
Lumisade - This, Djekspek's map, and Industrial Helix's maps all seem to call out to me as the most 'artistic,' the ones with the most skill behind them. Really a beautiful idea and wonderfully executed. It would make a wonderful posted, and I'll bet this is one of the prints that will sell the most.
RJBeals - amazing palette (everyone seems to agree on this point), a great concept, and perfect execution. When the second gallery showing comes around, I really hope we get more maps just like this one: informative, interesting, showing more about New York than just the geography, and just plain eye-catching.

Props to all, this kind of showing really reminds me how much talent there is floating around on this site. Bravo, guys.

Redrobes
11-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Well done everyone. That was another tough call and if the vote was on different criteria then I would have chosen differently. I liked RJ's the best as it had a great NY centric theme and it was done so well with nice font and art. I also liked Ravs annagrams. I also went with Gallifreyan, Larb, Imms and I liked the wild art of Lumisade which incorporated the map. I think for a pure art and interesting thing to look at I also liked MrMox and Tilts & Crayons stuff was interesting too. There was nice lines and maps in the older style or fantasy and alternate reality but alas, there was only 6 votes...

Steel General
11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Lots of great entries, quite the conundrum to choose only six!

jbgibson
11-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Argg... so hard to pick six. I like the NaNoWriMo concept of "if you finish, you win" :-). Those I like best mostly tell a story. In no preference order:
Moutarde - the story you tell is that in 200 years Cartography's lost a lot ... just beautiful.
Gallifreyan, RJBeals - your work drew me in, and I learned some history. I wish I'd gone ahead and used a lot of explanatory text.
Cereth - fair to say I like old-school... only the slightly mechanical wave-lines keep me from looking for pen strokes and ink blots.
Sapiento, Popup - delightful alternate history! Both make me want to see out beyond the neatline.

I tried to tell a story - alternate future instead of alternate history. I just haven't carried it off as well as y'all. So if we can rework / polish / complete for a later rerun opportunity, mayhap I can add a sheet covering those elevated pneumatic subways, even get the Aerial Atlas up above its current Nile Books rank of 645,377,210 :-).

RjBeals
11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Damn! Seem's the mapping folk do like the old-school rap after all :)

tilt
11-05-2010, 05:57 AM
ok... that was way too few votes to pass out - lots of great entries and great ideas :)
well, the votes of the Trelleborg Jury goes to:

Djespek, a beautiful little fort, always love your drawings
Immolate for one fantastic map of Central Park - zombies or no zombies :)
MrMox for his entertaining look on the statue of liberty
RJBeals for a great map of hip hop - but with with such nice colors that non-B-boys can love it too :)
Cereth for his great looking map :)
Ravells for a really fun idea - and probably a good seller :)

and honorable mentions goes to Aval, loved the cyber look , Crayons for a Monster-good idea and RE also for a great idea :) ... wish I could have voted for you all :)

Avengeil
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
In random order and for completely deifferent reasons my votes went for:
Gallifreyan's historical map because I really like history
Cereth's atmospheric map
Djekspek's New York Makeover, man you have talent
Lumisade , really artistic
RjBeals the best color palette I have seen in a map up to now and
Immolate for his hard work.If I ever visit central park I will for sure print your map out.

Other maps that I really liked but didn't have enough votes for were both of Sapiento's, Ravells, Aval's, moutarde's and MrMox42.
Congratulations to everyone.

Immolate
11-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Many great maps and I could have easily voted for twice as many as I did. Props to RjBeals for a great concept and superb execution. I am proud to have been among the contestants and only wish I'd had it in me to finish my second piece. Thanks everyone for your hard work!

[edit: rude of me, but I didn't even mention the others I voted for. Been working hard all week and just finished an assignment for college and the wifey and I are about to settle down to a replay of the first episode of The Walking Dead on AMC. If you haven't watched it, WATCH IT!!! Second episode comes out Sunday night.]

It is my custom to give reputation to all who participate. Everyone put a lot into it and they deserve recognition for it. However, there are limits to what the site's software will permit, so I only got about halfway through before the rep fairy took her wand back. I'll be back tomorrow to hopefully finish the job.

Immolate
11-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Grats to RjBeals and Cereth! Woot! Way to go everyone and enjoy your special badge once we get 'em :)

tilt
11-08-2010, 03:20 AM
congrats RjBeals, Imm and Cereth - truly deserved :)

Jaxilon
11-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Congrats to all and especially to the finalists. So many good looking maps.

RjBeals
11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
All - I really can't believe I was voted in first place for the super challenge. I've seen some of the talent in these forums, and I can only hope to be as good as some of you one day. A humble attitude I know, but it's what keeps me pushing myself to get better. This challenge was so much fun for me. I literally thought about the map as I was going to sleep at night. I'm a music lover, and was a huge rap fan back in the 80's. So to learn about the beginnings of hip hop was a bonus to the challenge. It took a good bit of investigative work. I tried to make the locations as accurate as possible, but some are simply based on the local memories. No physical address to pin-point, just, "up on Jerome Ave, near Mt Eden". And the stories behind these places are unreal. A tiny little section of the world, with it's own unique history.

Thanks for all who voted for me - and congrats to EVERYONE who entered. Hope you all had as much fun as me.

Djekspek
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
gratz RJ, a well deserved win! cheers! now to spread some rep around...

cereth
11-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Congrats RJB! A well deserved win! Great maps all around! :)

Immolate
11-08-2010, 09:58 PM
All... I've done my best to rep everyone who completed an entry in this contest, but with all of the entries, I'm afraid I missed some. If you completed an entry, I would consider it a favor if you'd check your rep and PM me if I missed you. You all did well and deserve the recognition.

Katto
11-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Congratulations RJ!

Coyotemax
11-09-2010, 03:29 AM
omygod I missed the voting!!!!
not that it would have changed anything, looks like - they're all great entries and one vote wouldn't have changed anything, i think, but still, DANG.

Beautiful entries in there, seriously. I just looked through them all in detail, and with a lot of work and thought, I narrowed down my choices for favourite to 20 :)

I almost cried when I realized I had to withdraw from the competition, I would have loved to have had my map displayed among these masterpieces.

Next show, hopefully!

time to start spreading the rep....

geamon
11-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Forgot to rep you guys who are my votes. I can't seem to get Lumisade and RJB. I'll catch you guys in a little bit

Gallifreyan
11-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I missed the voting too! :o There were many fantastic entries I decided to wait until the end, but when I came to vote (on the 7th in the afternoon) it was already closed. Even though it doeasn't really count, my 6 favorite are cereth - Never York, Crayons - New Amsterdam - in Three Deee, Djekspek - New York Make-over, Immolate - Zombies in Central Park!, Larb - New Amsterdam, RjBeals - Roots of Hip Hop.

Time to get repping! :)

torstan
11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Congratulations to all on a great entries. I'm now working with the gallery on the details of the show and I'll be in touch shortly with more information.