PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Pass Encounter Map

Amazon.chique
11-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Hi all,

I'm working on a few maps for Open Design that need to read well in B&W. This being my first professional mapping gig, I was hoping for a little feedback.

This is a midway stage of an encounter map. Players approach in the mountain pass, while monsters on the cliffs attack them below. I'm not 100% convinced that reads easily at first glance.

I still need to build the monster tokens and map key. The monsters are clever enough to build a bridge, so I'm also debating fleshing their camp out a bit.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Sapiento
11-09-2010, 02:59 AM
As you cannot work with colours here, you should consider this when creating the tokens. You should go for easily distinguishable shapes, either simple readable symbols or clear top-down views.

tilt
11-09-2010, 04:22 AM
looking good - perhaps a little more shadow to convey the depth of the valley? But the hanging bridge does do most of the work :)

Amazon.chique
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
As you cannot work with colours here, you should consider this when creating the tokens. You should go for easily distinguishable shapes, either simple readable symbols or clear top-down views.

For the monster icons, I was just planning to use white circles with a heavy black outline. Maybe include a lite inner glow to give them a slight shade at the edges. They'll be just about the only white objects on the page, so they should read easily.