PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Argentina

Franco
11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Hello to all of you guys, nice to meet you. My name is Franco, I'm a student and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm quite interested in cartograpy and in creating fake worlds (or maps) but I have no clue on how to do it. I've managed to create a "map" of a country

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/MapForCart/dfghfgh.png

but it sucks. (Don't tell me it doesn't)

I would like improve my techniques and make the maps look a lot more realistic.

Thanks

Franco :)

jbgibson
11-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi, Franco - welcome to the Guild!

I see you have also
asked if anyone would be interested in building a country map from your outline (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12472-Just-a-Simple-map&p=134017#post134017). If you want to learn to make your own maps, it might be more useful for you to just start yourself. Pick a tutorial that demonstrates a style you like, and see what you can do. The fact you already have an outline brings up an interesting thought - you could use the one outline for several different learning projects. Do not be shy about "learning in public". Every mapmaker who shows us the process by which he improves, teaches us all something.

It doesn't, it doesn't, it doesn't. Sorry - it's the rebel in me, when told to not do something. :-) But really, it's a perfectly believable outline. There's just not enough *there* for it to be bad, if that makes sense. Can you tell us what you want to do with the map?

Do you already have in mind details about your imaginary country? That will make as much difference in what methods you choose, as the style you like will. Forests, deserts, mountains, steppe, volcanoes, swamps? Is it a great maritime nation in the age of sail? A tiny modern city-state? An empire of dwarves, or the lair of dragons? Do you have in mind a scale - is what you show ten thousand kilometers across, or ten kilometers? A land at war with itself, or the domain of a prosperous and peaceful people?

-- Jake

NeonKnight
11-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

And it doesn;t suck. Sure it is plain right now, but already I see a large Naval Nation, border by two other nations around a portion of an Inland Sea.

Steel General
11-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Welcome Aboard!