PDA

View Full Version : November Challenge: Grimm's Gate

Immolate
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I've wanted for the longest time to break out of PS4 and see what I could do with other tools, especially 3d. I've doodled with Bryce a number of times over the past ten years or so, but I can't get a handle on the workflow and I always wind up getting frustrated after a few hours and deciding to forget about it.

I doodled a bit with Sketchup a year ago, but without a project to put it to, I quickly got bored and moved on. I decided to dust it off again for this project. Castles beg for 3d software. I thought it would make the job trivial compared to the effort I invested in a project like Siete Torres.

Heh. I was stupid.

You can do some amazing thing with 3d software, but saving time isn't one of them. Having just finished the basic shape and top detail of the main towers, I'm already ten hours in. Of course some of that is learning time.

Here are some detail shots of the tower top. The lower parts will be less fanciful of course.

### Latest WIP ###

MadCartographer
11-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Nice work! Someday I will my hand at 3D. (but not to soon :) )

Marken4
11-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Looks gret :) You got a rendering software?

tilt
11-10-2010, 03:49 AM
looks damn good, and remember those 10 hours - you'll never get back *lol* ... nah, just kidding - it takes time learning a new program, but the result is great - can't wait to see more :)

Steel General
11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Looks like a fine start...

DevinNight
11-11-2010, 08:05 PM
very nice, 3D but sketchy. cool. I use Carrara for my 3D works, it's affordable and pretty easy to learn.. But it looks like you are doing fine with what you got.

Djekspek
11-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Cool stuff Immolate!! the sketchy lines look really great on this. Looking at the details I can image the time you needed to get this far, but it payed off. And remember that once you got the model in, you can SO easily change perspective and composition :D looking forward seeing this progress... cheers!

moutarde
11-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Oh man that looks great! And very, very time consuming! :)

Immolate
11-14-2010, 07:57 PM
It's been a tough week with work and school so not much more done, but I'm still trying!

### Latest WIP ###

Mrmox42
11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Dang! Nice indeed. Good work

RecklessEnthusiasm
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
This is great, Immolate! I have been fiddling with sketchup for mapping too, and this is the kind of thing that inspires me to try harder! Really nice!

Immolate
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks a lot! I'm finding that one of the biggest practical differences between Sketchup and Photoshop is that Sketchup imposes a requirement for workflow. You have to know what you're doing or there's a good chance you're going to wind up doing it twice. This has been a recurring theme for me. Of course doing it over gives you a chance to do it better, but it is also an eater of time. I'm sure once I'm further up the learning curve, it will improve. I'm beginning to wonder, however, if I'd be better advised to switch to another 3D program after this project. But for now, Sketchup is getting it done and you can't beat the price.

cereth
11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Those towers are pretty awesome! I've been thinking about messing around with Sketchup but alas there aren't enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do.

Looking great so far!

Immolate
11-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I've been grabbing time here and there to work on the castle. I've started on the castle proper and have got most of the gatehouse in, along with the foundation. If any of you are castle lovers, you may recognize the one that I'm using as a model for this, with lots of creative license of course. Two views in two different styles.

### Latest WIP ###

Marken4
11-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Neuschwanstein I guess? People always use that castle reference... :P I'm not completely fond of the colorpalette tho. And I think you should get a proper renderingprogram. I could recommend this (renderin.com). It got some irritating bugs, but I still think it's the best free renderer for sketchup at the market at the time. If you're thinking of a more expensive (but better) solution you should go for shaderlight (shaderlight.com).

Immolate
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
You got it Marken, and thanks for the rendering pointers. I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to 3d so I'm focusing on what I understand at this point but I'm going to give the rendering a whirl.

Riggamorphus
11-23-2010, 11:24 PM
This looks very good for 3d. I know that the poly count is low but the design is very creative. I can see through the limitations and the learning curve with the software that this will be a great piece. You can eventually take it to Vue 9 to retexture or add more detailed rocks. Or you can draw over it like as a guide. It nice to see you exploring new frontiers in the outer reaches :).