PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

Parabolist
12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi, everyone!

First, from what I've seen your illustrations are amazing! And I've read through a few tutorials now--all of which are well done. I can't wait to start drafting up a few maps...

A few quick details about myself: I work in the Civil Engineering field and so have a ton of experience with Cad programs (right now I use Civil 3d 2007 & 2008 heavily but my experience is not limited to those versions of Autocad). I also have some Photoshop experience and starting today, GIMP experience.

In the past, I've drawn most of my maps by hand or in Autocad.

Nice meeting you all!

~Parabolist

NeonKnight
12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the group. Looking forward to seeing soe of your works.

pyrandon
12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi, Parabolist, and welcome to the dragon's hoard of the cartography world! As a civil engineer, I hope we can pick your brain about your specialty at times, and I hope you post maps soon, too!

Once again, welcome!

jaerdaph
12-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Welcome, Parabolist! :)

RobA
12-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Howdy Parabolist!

So is it par-a-BO-list or pa-RA-bol-ist? And looking forward to seeing your efforts!

-Rob A>

The Cartographist
12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
RobA - I think that it is hilarious that you asked how to pronounce his name. So often in fantasy settings, it's anyone's guess how exactly to pronounce names.

Although, I'm slightly offended (;)) that you didn't ask me how to pronounce mine: cart-o-GRAPH-ist or car-TO-graph-ist or car-TOG-raph-ist or maybe cart-o-graph-IST.

But it is a good question.

RobA
12-05-2007, 10:14 AM
RobA - I think that it is hilarious that you asked how to pronounce his name. So often in fantasy settings, it's anyone's guess how exactly to pronounce names.

Although, I'm slightly offended (;)) that you didn't ask me how to pronounce mine: cart-o-GRAPH-ist or car-TO-graph-ist or car-TOG-raph-ist or maybe cart-o-graph-IST.

But it is a good question.

An even more ironic is that I will most likely never say it aloud - I just wanted to know how it should sound in my head when reading :)

I had even worse problem with most of the names in Edding's WoT series...

Anyway, yours only has one pronunciation (for me at least) a variant of the third one...car-TOG-ra-phist

-Rob A>