PDA

View Full Version : Map a Food Court

kermitdefrog
11-15-2010, 08:28 PM
One of the future mapping challenges could be to map a food court. What do you think?

Rythal
11-15-2010, 08:55 PM
yah, I could think of a few good ideas for it.

tilt
11-16-2010, 02:30 AM
no idea what it is...

rdanhenry
11-16-2010, 03:11 AM
A food court is where cases of food poisoning, food tampering, and food fighting are tried. It's a bit specialized, but there's a lot of technical nutrition information that the judges need to be expert in.

Actually, it's just a place in a mall where lots of restaurants (to use the term loosely) are grouped, with a shared eating area with lots of tables.

Aval Penworth
11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
no idea what it is...

Food courts are usually found in shopping malls. You must have them in Denmark and Sweden, because we have Danish and Swedish food chains here, and they must have started there. :) No?

jbgibson
11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
There have been standalone food courts as well - collections of widely variant restaurant *kitchens* under one roof, with a common seating area. In the sixties or early seventies there was one such in Denver, Colorado, the Yum Yum Tree. A great solution to the problem of "I want Italian, she wants Chinese, the kids just want a burger and fries".

Really, though, if one is flexible in one's definition, a thousand souks, bazaars, and street markets over the ages fit the general description. Shoot, Manhattan fits the description, if the clientele is hungry alien overlords...

tilt
11-16-2010, 01:36 PM
ah.. many kitchens - common seating. Nope, not popular in denmark - every kitchen, coffeeshop, restaurant etc. has its own seatings. There is a place in Malmö (Sweden) where there are common seating that I know of - but thats the only one.
and Aval, what food chains with danish/swedish food do you have? I'm curious now :)