PDA

View Full Version : Doodle for the day

Jaxilon
11-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Nothing much, just wanted to test out a new way of doing mountains. It came out pretty well I think and then I decided to just make the whole thing look like a watercolor painting just for kicks. It's not much but I thought I'd just share it anyway.

It's going to be crappy because the whole thing was only done 72ppi which was an accident.

Marken4
11-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah.. The quality is pretty low... But concept of the map is great :) I love the river. And the mountains.

jbgibson
11-27-2010, 01:12 AM
The resolution may be crummy, but the quality is great, if you'll accept that nitpicking distinction. Do you have any other maps herein done in waercolor style? I like the look.

Erik Gauger has some lovely watercolor maps (http://www.google.com/search?q="map"+site%3Awww.notesfromtheroad.com&safe=active) in his Notes From The Road Blog (http://www.notesfromtheroad.com).

tilt
11-27-2010, 03:04 AM
looks good Jax, been thinking of real watercoloring myself, but never gotten around to it :)

Jaxilon
11-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I think I know what you mean jb. I was mainly going for a way to make good looking mountains but once I had that looking about as good as I could there wasn't anything else to do with it and since I haven't yet been happy with making watercolor in Gimp that's what I tried. Sort of phase 2 of the exercise. I think the real mountain came out well and i will use the techniques in my next satellite map I imagine.

@Tilt - It's a great medium but can be tricky. If you aren't careful you can end up with puddles of warped paper. :) Nothing else much looks like it though once you get it. Make sure to get some real watercolor paper. I always try to do it with regular paper and while parts of it look good it tends to get messy.

tilt
11-29-2010, 05:58 AM
yeah... I have an A2 water color pad that I bought 10 years ago... but haven't got any water colors at the moment... for now, I'm doing a pencil map instead, fun to work with that again :)