PDA

View Full Version : *** December Challenge: Pirate Cavern ***

pyrandon
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
This month's challenge will traipse into TWO new areas:

First, ever since the inception of our Guild Challenges we have yet to assign subterranean cartography. We'll change that this month by challenging you to create a cave map. Specifically a coastal cavern and tunnel/cave system. To make matters more interesting, these caves were once used as a pirate hideout, although these cutthroats have long since disappeared. Still, evidence of their stay awaits the intrepid adventurer. (Optionally, you may also have the cavern system re-inhabited by human, undead, or beastly denizens.)

The second new twist for our December challenge concerns the time allotted for map creation. You must, from start to finish, craft this map in under four hours. You may conceive, plan, and roughly lay out your map for as long as you like beforehand, but from the moment you begin putting actual pen to paper (or virtual pixel to screen) the act of cartography may last no more than four hours. (Trusting on the honor system here, of course!)

GUIDELINES

* The map should be a cavern and accompanying cave system located by a large body of water or a coastal river
* Evidence of now-vanished pirate use must be evident
* The map may be in any style: authentic (aka, "player handout"), antique, realistic, representational, etc.
* Provide a scale and at least basic labeling
* Era is at the creator's discretion (i.e., this may be medieval, a modern, Age of Exploration, sci-fi...)
* The map must be completed in less than four hours (not including planning time)

The following "bonus" considerations may be completed outside the time requirement, although remember that the actual cavern map entry alone will determine the winner:
* Bonus consideration for mapping the surrounding countryside/nation/continent/sea...
* The long-lost pirates' legend/story would also add to the enjoyment of the map!

Remember to adhere to the contest rules, plus create a thread for your entry (WIPs welcome), and if you have any questions please post them in this thread. Good luck!

Valarian
12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Does it have to be a coastal cavern?
A typical pirate cavern system for Sci-Fi would be an asteroid hideaway.

pyrandon
12-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Hm! I guess I don't see why not!

NeonKnight
12-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Yippee!

I am gonna do mine as an OLD STYLE D&D MOdule!

RobA
12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Does it have to be a coastal cavern?
A typical pirate cavern system for Sci-Fi would be an asteroid hideaway.

Funny - thats what I was thinking as well :)

-Rob A>

RobA
12-12-2007, 04:00 PM
While looking for ideas, I came up with one that I didn't pursue - steampunk pirates in an abandoned volcano.

While seeking inspiration I came across this extremely cool train layout (http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=42458#42458) (check out the whole thread for more pictures)...

The option is still out there for someone else to join in :)

-Rob A>

RobA
12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Remember - there are still two weeks till the end of this challenge! Surely everyone can find four hours over two weeks! That's less than 18 minutes a day!

Question - can a single person put in two entries? I tossed out the "steampunk pirates in an old volcanic island" but no-one has jumped on it yet...

-Rob A>
(This post was brought to you by the colour yellow and the number 4 :) )

Gamerprinter
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
The thought has been playing in my head to create a Sci-Fi pirates map and I really want to try 3D, since my attempt at using 3D for the DuFlor map failed utterly - I know I can get 3D to work at fast enough pace, as long as I don't get so complicated in design.

I thought of possibly creating a thread outside the challenge forum to do just this, but I didn't want to confuse anyone regarding the current challenge entry. :?:

ravells
12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
I am so time poor at the moment...and I've bitten off more commitments than I can chew at the moment....so nothing from me....sorry.

Midgardsormr
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm in the same boat as Ravells, but I am hoping to be able to squeeze out some time next week to make an entry. And no, it's not going to be steampunk volcano train pirates, although that's a great idea, and I may very well use it in a game some day.

Torq
12-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Hi all

I am not able to take part in this month's challenge, because I am currently on holiday in the U.K. (or Ravland for the locals). I just borrowed a friend's computer to check in and wanted to say that the entries for this months challenge are amazing. Its also the biggest field that I seen so far. I'm really wishing I could take part. Good luck to all.

Torq

ravells
12-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Have fun, over here, Torq! How long are you over for? I would love to ask you to meet up for a drink but I have wall to wall commitments at the moment and trying to clear my desk before christmas. Maybe next time....when I'm in Cape Town!

cheers

Ravs

Torq
12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Ravs

I'm in London (Wimbledon) until 22 Dec and then going to stay with family in the country, place called Pangbourne (between Reading and Oxford) until 26, then off to Paris for a couple of days.

Also snowed under what with sight seeing tours of London for the kids and about a hundred shows booked by the wife. Great country, a little on the chilly side for me though. When you are in Cape Town give me a shout. Its weird I only seem to get decent computer time to do any maps when I am at the office. I notice you haven't entered this month's challenge. Are you really that busy?

Torq

ravells
12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm actually not that far from you (Richmond), but things are now beginning to ease up a little (clients wanting to close things down before Christmas). Do you fancy doing lunch sometime this week? Have you seen the High Courts of Justice on the Strand? I can't do Wednesday, but how does Thursday grab you?

Torq
12-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Hi Ravs

I'm on limited net time so I'm getting your posts quite late. I would love to get together but Thurs is a bit problematic. Going to early matinee of Mary Poppins (man thats embarrasing), then meeting family in Hyde Park. Dont know if there will be much time.

I have seen the Courts. It was in that part of the City yesterday buying supplies for the ridiculous outfits that I wear to court and ran into a few barristers who took me for coffee and a mini guided tour of the inns.

Just to detract from this blatant threadjack, the underground maps fascinate me. English people also seem somewhat obsessed with road maps. I'm amazed by how much more important maps are here than they are where I come from. Although how this relates to a pirate cave I'm not sure. Come to think of it I have met a few cabbies since I've been here.

Torq

Redrobes
12-23-2007, 09:28 PM
General question,

When it comes to voting is it assumed that you vote for yourself or that you are not allowed to vote for yourself or is it no rule. If you like somebody else better than your own and want to vote that way then fair enough.

Its just that with about 9 entries this month that would mean up to 8 votes lost if we all voted for our own map. If we weren't allowed to vote for your own map then there would be a better cast.

Just feels like id miss out on considering all the final entries if I had to vote for myself to stay on a level footing. Maybe technically its not possible to tell who voted for what or set up the poll so that it could be checked - I don't know.

Thought id be up front about it before the polls start.

ravells
12-23-2007, 10:25 PM
You can vote for yourself if you want to. Have to say, I've never done it (it just feels wrong), but you can.

Please, please don't forget that one the best things about this site is that we all have in common the idea of making beautiful maps and the real strength is the help we receive from others in making them. It really doesn't matter if you win or lose because creative endeavour is not really about that. I think that we're a lot more honest about choosing a map we like rather than one we drew.

Redrobes
12-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Oh good, ill vote for anothers map then.

mmmmmpig
12-30-2007, 12:16 AM
speaking of voting... shouldn't that be happening about a few days ago?

Gamerprinter
12-30-2007, 05:14 AM
I PMed both Arcana and Pyrandon regarding the delay - but no response yet. I don't want to seem anal, by over-reminding them, but yeah its bugging me too... :(

mmmmmpig
12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
It is the holidays, so I imagine scheduling for many aspects of life are probably a bit off

pyrandon
12-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Yes, I'll post the voting thread, seeting as how I seem to be the only one around. And then I'm, changing the name of this site to "Pyrandon's Hall of Maps". Won't Robbie be surprised?

Arcana
01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I had some issues at home over the holidays, sorry about missing the voting deadline...And thanks Pyrandon for posting the voting and not changing the site name ;)