PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm a new cartographer looking for a summer internship! please help!

Princess
12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
My name is Megan and I attend Rutgers University. I'm majoring in geography with a minor in public health. Im on route to receive a cartography certificate and have already worked on exciting projects with Adobe illustator and GIS analysis programs like Idrisi and ArcGIS. Desperatley looking for an enjoyable internship where I can further my cartography experiences. Any help will be greatly appriciated! THANK YOU!

Midgardsormr
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure how much you'll find here, as this community tends to be oriented toward fantasy and alternate history maps. If you haven't already been there, I recommend looking at cartotalk.com. That's where the "real" cartographers can be found.

That said, we do have a couple of professionals who post here who might have some leads, so do check back!

RjBeals
12-02-2010, 04:22 PM
GIS.... whats that??

(joke)

Good Luck with the internship Princess - but Midgard is right. However, you should browse around Finished Maps forum - you're sure to find some inspiration there for your future mapping projects.

Steel General
12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Welcome Aboard!

tilt
12-03-2010, 05:52 AM
yep.. i second the others - not a great chance of an internship through this guild - however, this might be a great place to push your skills in fun directions :)

Map Vandal
12-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I would contact the utilities department (http://www.fos.rutgers.edu/Utilities/default.htm)at Rutgers. I have no idea what type of GIS and mapping system Rutgers has for their utility distribution systems, but you should find out what capabilities they have and let them know what you have to offer.

NeonKnight
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

jtougas
12-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Welcome !! I hope you enjoy your stay.. :)