PDA

View Full Version : WIP working along to Ascension tutorial

sindustries
12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I just discovered Gidde's document for following Ascension's tutorial with gimp a few days ago and have been happily working along.

I just got to this stage this morning before work. I'm rather happy with the results so far. Next up is to get some rivers flowing.

I posted this in ascension's tutorial thread, but figured I'd repost it here for some c&c.

Ascension
12-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd say it looks pretty darn good. A few minor things to tweak (if it were me but you don't have to): the blue outer glow around the land is kind of bright so I'd tone that down either with more gray in the color mix or turn the opacity down a bit; same with the dark blue stroke; as for the mountains, you might want to group them together a bit more to form mountain chains but maybe it's not needed for your world. Still, looks really good.

sindustries
12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
I think its pretty much done. Used ijontichy's stroke path with taper plugin and RobA's fractalize path script to make the rivers. Toned down the land glow and stroke a bit. I like the idea of moving mountains around to create better chains, but all the mountains and hills layers are based on the same noise layer, that I think it'd take a lot of work at this point to move those things around. I'm looking at Ravell's long distance mountains tutorial and I may play with the GIMP felimage plugin to see if I can get a similar clouds effects and I'll try something like that for mountains for my next map world map attempt.

I never thought I'd be able to make maps this cool!

Midgardsormr
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Nice work! I think the coastal glow is still a bit vibrant. It really shows in the small lakes. Something I like to try to do is to match the coastal glow to the rivers, so that when a river reaches an ocean or lake, the transition between the two is seamless.

Ascension
12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
You're right about that glow, Mid, hadn't noticed that here. What I do to stop that lake-glow is to put the glow effect on a different layer - one that has the lakes filled in instead of deleted. I think I covered that in one of my tuts somewhere but I don't remember which one.

gungfuguru
03-22-2011, 12:47 AM
I've been following the tutorial for a while, working on different projects. My end product looks great, however, my middle steps rarely resemble the pictures, starting at the land glow part. Even when i zoom in, the land glow is not visible once i move it between ocean and land. Tips? Am i doing it wrong? I mean, it seems ok, since my end result is still brilliant. :)

Ascension
03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
This will sound corny but there is no right or wrong really. The steps I outline are just a platform for you to learn with and experiment with and change and try new things etc. So if you stumble upon something new then cool.