PDA

View Full Version : December Entry: Old School Map Take Two!

NeonKnight
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
OK, I am in on this like stink on a monkey! Mmmmmmmm......monkeys!

Like Gameprinter, I will be doing it Old School D&D Style. Funny thing is I already made a map that was an old Pirate Cave one a Body of water, seen here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com//showthread.php?t=1190

Map #4 on the Second Post.

NeonKnight
12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
So, I mocked up my 'Front Cover' for my 'adventure' for this map, because you can't have an Old School Blue D&D Style map without an Old School D&D Module cover ;)

So, here is the module cover is almost all it's Glory (It really only needs artwork to complete it :)).

RobA
12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I can see where the "neon" in your name comes from! :D

-Rob A>

NeonKnight
12-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I can see where the "neon" in your name comes from! :D

-Rob A>

What can I say....I like Neon Green :D

The Cartographist
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Neon Green sure is, well, neon! But I LOVE the cover. I think that you should generate the adventure and put it on the market.

NeonKnight
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
OK, here is an update to the Cover with some 'mediocre' artwork by Your's Truly :?

pyrandon
12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
LOL--that's awesome. And dont worry about the art: first of all, you shouldn't put yours down; second, "mediocre" pretty much defines that era's art! ;)

Keep it coming, Neon. Love it (even if my retinas do hurt now).

NeonKnight
12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
OK, I made the green background less 'NEON' in color.

NeonKnight
12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
In case anyone is interested, here is the 'sketch' I made last night of what I wanted the cover to look like.

Redrobes
12-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh yes - very good !
(btw - I prefer the darker green for readability even if it is a little less... neon)

NeonKnight
12-11-2007, 12:24 AM
OK, so here is the Pirate Cave. Not labeled or Keyed yet, but it will be soon.

TOTAK TIME: 20 Minutes

The Cartographist
12-11-2007, 05:33 AM
I appreciate the darker green--if only for readability as redrobes states.

And the map definitely has an old Dnd feel to it. It takes me back...

NeonKnight
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Ground level of the Ruined Tower. Total time 20 Min.

Who knows. I may just write this sucker up before this Challenge is finished :)

NeonKnight
12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
So I screwed up, and saved the Tower Dungeon as the same name as the Tower itself, and will likely need to redo the Tower :(

Total time on Dungeon: 20 Minutes.

NeonKnight
12-11-2007, 10:21 PM
OK, I am done the maps of the cave & Tower. I wasn't going for a BIG production, because really, with 4 hours, how much time does one have. so It took me approximate 1.5 hours to do Cave & Tower. I just need to make the Town map.

I have decided to do an adventure write up as well, and submit the entire thing as an Old School D&D Module (obviously), but done up for the 3.5 rules.

Here is the Module so Far (In a Word Doc, no write up yet).

The Cartographist
12-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Fantastic work! One question - What will you do with this fine module once it is complete?

NeonKnight
12-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Fantastic work! One question - What will you do with this fine module once it is complete?

No clue :D

NeonKnight
12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Background now done, now to begine the work of writing a module :?

ravells
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh I love the cover! It's got such a 'Keep on the Borderlands' feel to it! This is one case where I'd say, the more lurid the cover the better! It really does take me back! And the maps fantastic too! Just the right scale / feel to it!

NeonKnight
12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
So, here are all the maps for the Module.

I'm liking this whole writing a retro module deal, and having a blast churning our Old School Maps :D

Added a Final Much Need Map Aid.

ravells
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
That is poetry!

terrainmonkey
12-13-2007, 08:38 AM
this one is great! i feel like i'm reading "the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" again. good stuff. keep it up!

thebax2k
12-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow NeonKnight, I love the modules' vibe. Excellent job on the maps, they bring back memories. I'd be curious to see how this thing turns out when done.

Although its designed for 3.5, if you decided to do a 1st or 2nd ed version, submit it for hosting to Dragonsfoot--they love that kind of module.

Publius
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I laid out what you have thus far in the same style that TSR used for the modules as a pdf. After conducting a bit of research, I used the same typeface (or at least the available equivalent font) TSR used in the earlier modules (Avant Garde Gothic for the text, Helvetica for the titles). I also added a few details here and there to make it match some of the earlier 1st ed modules.

I hope you don't mind my doing this, and I was going to send this to you via email but you have that function turned off. I even picked out a nom de plume I found amusing. I cut and pasted your copy a bit but it is all your own words and pics...

ravells
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Ha Ha! Fantastic, Publius!

NeonKnight
12-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I laid out what you have thus far in the same style that TSR used for the modules as a pdf. After conducting a bit of research, I used the same typeface (or at least the available equivalent font) TSR used in the earlier modules (Avant Garde Gothic for the text, Helvetica for the titles). I also added a few details here and there to make it match some of the earlier 1st ed modules.

I hope you don't mind my doing this, and I was going to send this to you via email but you have that function turned off. I even picked out a nom de plume I found amusing. I cut and pasted your copy a bit but it is all your own words and pics...

Nope, not at all. I don't own that program, so I had to fake it as best I could in WORD.

One thing though. The map of Mistbay would be a single page map, likely located on the very last page, and rotated 90 degrees CCW.

Publius
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Nope, not at all. I don't own that program, so I had to fake it as best I could in WORD.Very glad you don't mind. The program I used was InDesign, the current standard (far as I understand) for publishing. It comes with Adobe Creative Suite along with Photoshop, Illustrator, full Adobe etc. (best way to get it is with educational pricing if you can manage, even then it is a few hundred bucks... Luckily I constantly use it for my business and thus can take it off as an expense on my taxes).

One thing though. The map of Mistbay would be a single page map, likely located on the very last page, and rotated 90 degrees CCW.Really? The numbers and text would be all sideways, plus it doesn't have the dimensions of a full page image. It did however have the perfect dimensions for a half-page and there was enough room as the text on page 5 only fit into one collumn without something else there (they usually had a peice of artwork to fill that space, alas...). I certainly agree it's a bit small at the half page size though.

And this is certainly not to say that I think it inappropriate to place the map as you indicate, in fact that would fit very well into the motif. The only problem "as is" is that this orientation doesn't fit and that puts gaps in for valuable space. By way of example, notice how the "front inside" of the cover, page 2, doesn't look exactly like the originals because of that blank space, TSR usually made certain to fill that space entirely. The map by itself (without the key) however is the right dimension for a full-page image, maybe with the key tucked into a corner by those trees or something. I'd still rotate the numbers at least so that it has the vertical orientation most folks are comfy with (the "Misty River" name is good as is, it follows the river and people don't expect it to be vertical). Just a suggestion, but maybe place the map on the second to last page (using the last page for a handout to photocopy or something), and on the third-to-last page (i.e. across from it) place the number descriptions with the key (unless it's already tucked into the unused corner).

The dimensions of the finsihed image are one of those things you have to get a feel for when you do published work. It isn't something you normally would think about when doing the map from a purely cartographic perspective. I probably caused more than one anuerism that way when I started out.

NeonKnight
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
The style of the Town map was inspired by the map for the town of Restenford from the TSR Module L1: Secret of Bone Hill. (Available as a free down load from WotC's website).

The style of the map is seen here (Admin's not sure if this is deemed illegal or not, but it is a free download, so not sure).

OK, SO, yep, wasn't sure if it would be a no-no, so here are the links then:

Mod Text: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/l1.rtf
Inside/Outside cover: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/L1_cover.zip
Interior Maps: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/L1_maps.zip
Artwork: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/L1_interior.zip

RPMiller
12-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Very glad you don't mind. The program I used was InDesign, the current standard (far as I understand) for publishing. It comes with Adobe Creative Suite along with Photoshop, Illustrator, full Adobe etc. (best way to get it is with educational pricing if you can manage, even then it is a few hundred bucks... Luckily I constantly use it for my business and thus can take it off as an expense on my taxes).

Er... I hope you didn't get your's using the education pricing. :o If they find out that you are using the educational version in a business, you can get hit with a huge fine. Just an FYI, and I know this because I have to deal with Adobe licensing at work, and they are not nice when they find out you have violated an agreement.

RPMiller
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
The style of the Town map was inspired by the map for the town of Restenford from the TSR Module L1: Secret of Bone Hill. (Available as a free down load from WotC's website).

The style of the map is seen here (Admin's not sure if this is deemed illegal or not, but it is a free download, so not sure).
I removed the map. You can provide a link to the map, but not the map itself, even though it is a free download. I know it doesn't make sense, but them's the rulez. :)

NeonKnight
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I removed the map. You can provide a link to the map, but not the map itself, even though it is a free download. I know it doesn't make sense, but them's the rulez. :)

Wasn't sure, cause yeah, doesn't make sense :?

Links now above.

Publius
12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Er... I hope you didn't get your's using the education pricing. :o If they find out that you are using the educational version in a business, you can get hit with a huge fine. Just an FYI, and I know this because I have to deal with Adobe licensing at work, and they are not nice when they find out you have violated an agreement.I have not used that pricing since my business was started. I did use that before I got into business though because I was setting up a good deal of things for the Department. Once I began my business, I got the software through the business instead so the funds could come out of the corporation :)

NeonKnight
12-15-2007, 01:31 PM
I am suffering a bit of a cold right now, so can't concentrate much. I have put a very, VERY rough draft of the adventure together. It will suffice as a finished entry. The write up of the mod I assume is bonus. I will hopefully recover from my cold to finish it better.

whtknt
09-19-2011, 11:32 AM
NeonKnight, was this projected ever "completed?" This is a fantastic work and shows a lot of effort and I would be interested in running it for my group. I wish that I had a tenth of the talent I've seen displayed on these forums.

NeonKnight
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Did I finish it...no, not really, but I _could_ finish it a quick and 'rough' format. Are you interested in seeing it as a 4e type adventure for the levels of 2-5 like I projected above? Possibly something that could be run in around 4-5 hours?

whtknt
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Did I finish it...no, not really, but I _could_ finish it a quick and 'rough' format. Are you interested in seeing it as a 4e type adventure for the levels of 2-5 like I projected above? Possibly something that could be run in around 4-5 hours?Or a 3E/3.5E would be fine, if you already have it as such. I can easily convert to 4th. But yes, something with about a 4-5 hour run time would be perfect.