PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tiles of a particular style - 3D -Top Down perspective

jfrazierjr
12-05-2010, 11:52 AM
So, I am trying to find some additional tiles of the same visual style (3-D top down perspective) as those done by Mazerik here (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11337&hilit=pit#p122633t). I KNOW I have seen something like this on Dundjinni's forums, but for the life of me I cannot find them now. While it would be nice to have an assortment of both walls and set decorations, at this point, anything would be helpful.

As it currently stands, Mazerik's are just hallways and are not suitable for making rooms without editing. Now... while I CAN edit to get something, I would rather spend my time doing other things if what I am looking for is already out there somewhere.

tilt
12-06-2010, 04:08 AM
I got some tiles in my signature - for now just marble floors - cause I haven't really gotten around to making rock, cobble, dirt floors yet :)

jfrazierjr
12-06-2010, 09:06 AM
I got some tiles in my signature - for now just marble floors - cause I haven't really gotten around to making rock, cobble, dirt floors yet :)

Thanks, but I have plenty of tiles already, as well as being able to quickly make a base underground using RobA's script. What I am looking for is more specific that a straight top down view. What i would like to find (and I know I have seen somewhere on Dundjinni.... at least some examples, not sure if there was a full set) is png with transparency walls where the walls have a 3D perspective. Imagine a top down view of the pit, but instead of just the outline of the pit at the top and the floor at the bottom, you see the outline of the pit, the floor, AND the walls going down with each of the four wall "planes" larger on the higher end and smaller on the bottom end. Imagine viewing the the below from eye level with the wider end close to your eyes and small end furthest from your eyes.

_______
\ /
\____/

tilt
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
ah.. I get what you mean - yep seen that in some battle map collections - that can be pretty neat

Redrobes
12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I thought these looked a lot like Torstans mapping tiles. Are they no good for your map ?

jfrazierjr
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
No, Torstan's are not the style I am looking for. I have used some of his in the past and probably will in the future, but was just looking for what I know is out there somewhere for more varied VTT play maps.

jfrazierjr
12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh.. I also know someone has done a set like these in the past for map pack sale, but they were only a single room IIRC.

Ascension
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I collected pretty much everything from DJ before ever knowing about this place then I quit going there. I went through my files and didn't find anything except this one thing for outdoor walls and it has crenelations and it isn't fully top-down with perspective. Now what you're looking may have come after June 2008 or maybe it was on one of the other sites. Now here's the helpful bit - I saw these sorts of things on the various 3d sites like TurboSquid.

Redrobes
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Maybe make some simple corridors in sketchup and texture map them ?

ravells
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I tried doing something like this for a comp a while back, but I gave up, it's really hard to get it to work properly once you start getting multiple rooms going, and high objects need to be in that forced perspective too.

jfrazierjr
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
@Ravs, thats the type of view I was thinking of. I also expect that making then into tiles so you could build rooms of any size is the big issue with making it just "look good".

@Redrobes: thats what I was trying to avoid of having to do it myself and was looking for tiles... This is not so much for use in making my own maps for post here as in using something pre-made to build RPG encounters. I have plenty of stuff to make normal top down maps with, but was looking to get something more geo-morphic looking if I could find. I know I have seen some somewhere... just not sure where and how much was available.

ravells
12-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Good luck JF!

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Ravells is right - this kind of false-perspective doesn't really work for scene building--it would work for a single room, but if you stick another room next to it, the walls between look wrong and the illusion is broken. This isn't to say it can't be done--just that it wouldn't look right/good.

Here is an example of 'real' perspective 'tiles' stuck next to eachother--it looks all wrong.

tilt
12-08-2010, 03:19 AM
the ones I've seen have always been for a single room at a time ... I agree with the above, it looks a little strange when rooms are connected - like space is bended. But even though it looks a little strange you'd probably could get used to it :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-08-2010, 03:34 AM
True, tilt. I guess you could sort of get used to it, or just say your RPG is set in a world where all walls are thick at the bottom and get thinner as they go up. I am trying to imagine how to draw a convincing door between these two rooms, and I just can't, really.

tilt
12-08-2010, 03:45 AM
*lol*... no, I can see that especially doors can be a problem :)

jfrazierjr
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
True, tilt. I guess you could sort of get used to it, or just say your RPG is set in a world where all walls are thick at the bottom and get thinner as they go up. I am trying to imagine how to draw a convincing door between these two rooms, and I just can't, really.

I will admit that transitions are a quite a bit harder, but they don't have to look horrible bad. See the attached. Note that I resized the door(original on right... or close to original anyway). This was put together in MapTool using hallway tiles by a RPTools forum poster. The door...ummmm... it either came from the Dundjinni forums or the RPTools forum.

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-09-2010, 05:17 AM
I dunno, neither of those look good/convincing to me. I'd find the visual style a little distracting. Is there a particular reason you're going for these types of walls? I wonder if you could find isometric 'tiles' that would successfully covey the 3D height you're looking for.

Redrobes
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I understand now what you were asking for. I would agree that it gives rise to certain problems like the doors. The main issue is that you have many many different vanishing points - like one per square or tile. These are never going to line up and will produce the door issues. Still there is a certain charm to the map. The traditional way to do something kinda like that is to use full isometric view. Usually a 30 degree tilt with infinite vanishing points - i.e. not perspective. You can then take any of the icons and stack them on top of one another and move them around the map without having to adjust for the perspective since its not an issue. The problem with that is usually Z ordering. As in, if you stack some crates up then people behind the crates but on ground level are hidden by the crates. So thats not so trivial to program or set up in a VTT which is normally set up for doing top down stuff.

Well, I think id still suggest using sketchup and texture mapping some decals to your 3D walls and taking screen shots.

jfrazierjr
12-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, I think id still suggest using sketchup and texture mapping some decals to your 3D walls and taking screen shots.

Blah... to much work for too little gain. I might do something like that as an "alternate" view for when I have the time(like those who do a floorplan and then an inset view from a different projection), and stick to simple top down stuff for my games.

RobA
12-10-2010, 09:55 PM
It works in some cases.

Here is the version of the board game Clue I remember where hallways separate the rooms to relax the effect:

-Rob A>

tilt
12-14-2010, 02:46 AM
yeah.. thought i could remember some board games where it had been used - just not which ones. The hallways are a good idea :)