PDA

View Full Version : November December Entry: "The Society Of Shadow"

jtougas
12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
From the Adventurers Guide to Shendenflar: There is rumored to be a "secret society" in the Kingdom of Shendenflar known as the "Society of Shadow" This group is said to be made up of powerful thieves magic users and warriors all loyal to the crown. This group is rumored to be used by King Baras when the city or Kingdom is under threat but a full visible response would be inappropriate. The exact location of the meeting place for this secret cabal is unknown as is rumored to be located under several prominent locations ranging from Castle Shendenflar to The Nymph Tavern in the town of Northrun.

This is a VERY preliminary WIP of an idea that I've had for a while and with this challenge now seems like the perfect time to get on it.. :)

### LATEST WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Solid layout so far! I am glad we got a good number of entries for the challenge this month--it was looking pretty quiet for a while there. Here's hoping we can all finish by the deadline.

As for C&C:
Nice looking fireplaces (Dundjinni?) though the shadow makes them look like they are levitating a couple inches off the ground. And of course the repetition of the floor textures bears mentioning. Other than that, though, off to a great start! Good luck!

tilt
12-08-2010, 02:34 AM
looking good - you have some white edges on your outside wall.

jtougas
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
As for C&C:
Nice looking fireplaces (Dundjinni?) though the shadow makes them look like they are levitating a couple inches off the ground. And of course the repetition of the floor textures bears mentioning. Other than that, though, off to a great start! Good luck!

I see what you mean about the shadows (and yes there Dunjinni :) ) As far as the floor goes it's more of a "place holder" until I figure out what I really want to do. I'm actually thinking of taking this in a very different direction.. :)

jtougas
12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
After a few hours of looking at this I decided I liked it enough to keep working. I imagine this as the first floor under the Grinning Goblin Tavern. This floor would serve as a meeting place for the Society as well as a library. More to come...

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
12-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Added a kitchen and storage area. Still to come the entrance stairs down from the Goblin and a small armory.. I have a series of maps in mind for this project with this being the first. As always feedback is welcome and appreciated.. :)

### LATEST WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Looking good! Got any more plans for this over the next six days?

jtougas
12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
As a matter of fact...

Here it is in a mostly finished state. I may fiddle with it a bit more but I'm happy with it. The only thing I wished I would have done was make the image larger so I could have included an escape tunnel or two..(hmm..next time..) As always feedback is requested and appriciated.. Thanks !! :)

### LATEST WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Looking good! I'd recommend some bevel effects on your walls, as they are lacking an impression of depth at the moment. I never know what to say about maps that are made up of Dindjinni art--I guess the 'art' featured is the creator's skills in arranging and laying out floor plans, and the layout looks well thought out to me! Keep up the good work.

jtougas
12-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Looking good! I'd recommend some bevel effects on your walls, as they are lacking an impression of depth at the moment. I never know what to say about maps that are made up of Dindjinni art--I guess the 'art' featured is the creator's skills in arranging and laying out floor plans, and the layout looks well thought out to me! Keep up the good work.

I know what you mean about using all the premade elements I really need to start making my own but I'm hesitant. Next time.. :)

ravells
12-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Like RE, I'm never really sure what to say about Dunjinni element maps...it looks beautiful and I love the detail. I just wonder whether every room would have a different type of flooring though? Possibly the Kitchen and armoury might be stone (easier to clean?), but I would expect the library and meetings rooms to have the kind of flooring maybe? Great work though! (And I think your avatar rocks, it makes me smile whenever I see it).

jtougas
12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Like RE, I'm never really sure what to say about Dunjinni element maps...it looks beautiful and I love the detail. I just wonder whether every room would have a different type of flooring though? Possibly the Kitchen and armoury might be stone (easier to clean?), but I would expect the library and meetings rooms to have the kind of flooring maybe? Great work though! (And I think your avatar rocks, it makes me smile whenever I see it).

Thank you I was thinking the same thing about the floor but decided I like the variety (of course the Society members ALWAYS wipe their feet... :) )

Jaxilon
12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
This is all ready for a game!

When it comes to doing your own elements don't be shy, just go for it. I started out with nothing and I'm gradually getting a folder full of crap :)

jtougas
12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone !! :)

jtougas
12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Well following some advice here is what I think is the finished product. I changed the font (too much Neverwinter is a bad thing.. :) ) and I added a bit of a border around the map key to dress it up a tad. I also added a bevel to the inside walls.

###LATEST WIP###

rdanhenry
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
What amazes me is that each bookshelf has an identical collection of texts, at least from external appearances. In the key, I would suggest standardizing to have a space between each period following the room number and the following description. Right now, only locations 1 & 2 are given such spacing.

The Society seems a rather keen on trapdoors.

jtougas
12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
What amazes me is that each bookshelf has an identical collection of texts, at least from external appearances. In the key, I would suggest standardizing to have a space between each period following the room number and the following description. Right now, only locations 1 & 2 are given such spacing.

The Society seems a rather keen on trapdoors.

Good point about the library I guess I was going for a "overall feel" but a little variety wouldn't hurt. I can't change it now as the challenge has ended but I will fix the things you mention before I send it off to the finished maps section. As far as the trap doors they come in VERY handy.. :)