PDA

View Full Version : December Entry - Wagner VII

ravells
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Thought I might have a go this month even though I have no idea what I'm going to do. Looked for an interesting projection in Fractal Terrains and found Wagner VII. It looks like the bottom of a large person sitting down wearing a miniskirt, (as I couldn't get that image out of my head, I thought I'd share it with you!).

Here's the start. I'll have a think about a theme and style for it.

ravells
12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Searching for a style..

Ascension
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Thank goodness you didn't draw the axis or that mental image would be even more reinforced. But in the sage words of Queen, "Fat-bottom girls you make the rockin' world go 'round". I like that diagonal texture.

ravells
12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks A. Next version...still playing around.

In some weird way I think the FT fractal mountains work with this...

Greason Wolfe
12-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Looks that way to me as well, Ravs. I'm curious, though . . . Did you render with these colors or render in greyscale and then apply a multiply blending mode? Either way, looking great so far.

Gw

Gamerprinter
12-08-2010, 08:44 PM
In a way similar to how I bevel hand-drawn mountains, but using FT, you make realistic mountains and kind of do the same thing with new flavor. I like the color - good job. REP.

GP

ravells
12-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks all.

Greason: The mountains are a grayscale render (land set to all white) out of FT. I find it easier to make each element out of FT and then export to other software to work on rather than working in FT itself.

Greason Wolfe
12-09-2010, 09:55 AM
I hear you on that, Ravs. I do the same thing with Terragen renders. As much as that app tends toward fairly nice photo-realistic results, I've discovered I like rendering everything in shades of grey (with shadows) and overlaying the results in PSP.

GW

Steel General
12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
It's a neat look, looking forward to the finished version.

su_liam
12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I was going to follow along with everyone else and use a Wagner projection, but ArcMap doesn't come with any...

Maybe I'll see if Flex Projector or that other thing I have on my map could pull a Wagner out. With graticule, of course.

ravells
12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
The more I look at my WIP the more I hate it...it's turning into the same old 'pretty map' stuff we've seen a million times before.

jtougas
12-10-2010, 08:37 PM
The more I look at my WIP the more I hate it...it's turning into the same old 'pretty map' stuff we've seen a million times before.

Whoa...I'll trade my "ugly" map for your "old pretty map" any day... :) IMO I think it's awesome...

Diamond
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Whoa...I'll trade my "ugly" map for your "old pretty map" any day... :) IMO I think it's awesome...

I agree. Don't knock your work, Ravs; it's awesome in my book.

ravells
12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Apologies, I'm going to have to pull out of this comp as a work issue has gone pear shaped so I'm not going to be able to give this the time it needs.

Sapiento
12-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Oh no! Despite your harsh self-criticism this lookes very promising! I hope you finish it once you have time. Maybe the break gives you the necessary inspiration for this map.

ravells
12-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks Sap. Let's see, if everything resolves itself I might 'unwithdraw' but it's not looking likely!

Greason Wolfe
12-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I can feel your pain, Ravs, it happens to me far too frequently. Sometimes I wish I was still just a peon instead of actually being in management, then I wouldn't be responsible for fixing problems at work.

GW

ravells
12-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Back in the game! My work looks like it's getting resolved (a bit) and I couldn't stay away from this. I'm doing labelling (which I frankly hate) but I'm using this challenge as a means to get that Imoff labelling article (see my sig) burned in my brain.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
12-18-2010, 11:27 PM
That is one big ass ocean!

I love the texturing you've done on this, the mountains and the paper itself - lovely.

Sapiento
12-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Back again!
Labelling is a necessary pain ;)

ravells
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Next trying to do something interesting with the mountains but I think it's looking a bit like a dog's dinner!

### latest WIP ###

jbgibson
12-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Ravells - pretty - well, yeah! But "just another"? I don't tHiNk so. It's a great look, and no dog I ever had was so well fed!

Ahh, GW - but even peons can't necessarily knock off at 5, not when management has bought the whole "do more with less" mantra... like mine have. Wish I'd had time this month - I couldn't touch Rav's level, but a world is so fun! All those lovely serendipitous bits that cause whole cultures to spring up, the discovery as you stick lines together and a planet appears. I for one am enjoying all the entries, and NOT least of all this one. Wagner as a name ... has a nice Ring to it, don't you think, Rav?

Jaxilon
12-27-2010, 01:51 AM
LOL Ravs you crack me up. I for one think the little textures you have in your land masses are great. I think if you keep going on this it is going to turn out just fine. Don't give up. I know I tend to get bored looking at the same thing all the time so I like to do whacky stuff like invert colors and darken/lighten things up just so it keeps my engaged. Keep going man, just a few more days and it'll all be over. The dogs will have to go hungry at least until then. :)

ravells
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
lol, thanks guys. I'm just getting over a really virulent strain of 'flu so haven't had time to work more on the map - I'm feeling a lot better now (although have still lost my voice), so I may have one more WIP left in me before the end!

su_liam
12-30-2010, 01:49 PM
It's a very nice map. The competition is very strong this month.

Logically, I don't think many ships are going to follow routes across the Open Ocean between Sambar and Carabaltrea and Zing Mora. Even if ships are setting off from Denning or the Pastiche Islands, it's closer and a whole lot safer to circumnavigate Sambar and take the Eaftern Croffing:P. Viewed as a spherical body, you have some nicely clustered continents on one hemisphere and a big, open ocean full o' nothin' for the other hemisphere. No biggie, and does nothing to detract from your cartography. Given the time remaining it isn't worth dealing with, but I just figured out why this looked funny to me and thought I'd share. Sorry...

jtougas
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Awesome Rav :)

ravells
12-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Cheers all. This is the final WIP, I guess.

@ Su Liam, believe me, I had no idea what I was doing with those sea routes!

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
More labelling and pretty-fication, it's finished, yay!

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Beautiful, Ravs. I really like what you did with the mountains, and I love that color scheme. It's all about the sepias, baby. :D

jtougas
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Beautiful !! :)

ravells
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys, I think it came together in the end. Final fiddling...

### Latest WIP ###

jbgibson
12-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Ravs - it's genius!

Aw, Su Liam, maybe Wagner 7 is the 7th satellite of a superjovian, and is tidally locked to its primary. The "back side" of this map could be the side permanently pointed toward the very radioactive Wagner-Prime... not a nice hemisphere to go sailing upon :-). There's all KiNdS of reasons The Open Ocean is a very useful focus for a world map. Evil flying-fish... piranhas with altitude and attitude... you know, after-the-fact rationalization that makes for weird and wonderful stories.

Or maybe the guy that drew it (in-character) lives on Midway Island. Your own back yard is always the center of attention, nu?