PDA

View Full Version : December entry: Untitled so far

Ascension
12-10-2010, 02:17 AM
I've got a bunch of new ideas and this is a perfect opportunity for me to try them out before I forget. So far I've just got the base terrain done; still have to tweak the climates, colors, textures and pattern stuff I'll be using in small accents, and put in rivers. Oh and labels, graphics, and frame of course. This is a half-size image and a lot of my detail has been lost but c'est la vie.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
12-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Looks like a good start... always enjoy watching your stuff progress.

Jaxilon
12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm with Steel on this, I'm excited to see how this comes along.

Steel General
12-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Wish I had the gumption to enter this, but my mapping mojo has all but disappeared - still struggling to finish that city map I started 6 months ago. :(

su_liam
12-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Ascension maps are always excellent.

I took the liberty of looking at your poles with Flexify.

Ascension
12-11-2010, 05:23 PM
They probably don't fit too well when wrapped to a globe but in order to make them fit properly I'd have huge chunks of empty white at the top and bottom and less area for pretty landmasses :) I'd also have to distort the shapes of the landmasses further away from the equator and I'm just too lazy for that ;)

ravells
12-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Definitely an Ascension special but with a slightly different riff. Coastlines look a lot wrigglier and the mountains look good enough to eat. I love that undersea valley thing you have going there too (is that difficult to do?). The thing I really love the most about your small scale maps is that the landmasses just look so BIG. I think it's because they just have a huge amount of detail in them, bit it really feels like thousands of miles from one end to the other.

Ascension
12-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I do the big thing on purpose...gives me more room and flexibility for ideas, monsters, clans, kingdoms, stories - if ever decided to get serious and sit down and write one. The bathymetry was really time-consuming but I've been thinking about it for a long time (I've been wanting to learn how to do the Mid-Atlantic Ridge thing for quite some time). So what I did was actually plan out some tectonic plates, which I never do but at least my mountains now have a real basis for being where they are, and then using selections I made a couple of rough rings and then, again using the selections, I made some paths that I stroked with a variation of my roof thatch brush (a really big one with 1000 spacing) for each plate (so that the lines don't overlap into other plates thus creating a bit of an offset), then I duplicated this layer many times and blurred them all in a progressing size from 1 to 10, reduced opacity, merged, some black airbrushing over the lighter clouds to create deep spots and white around the coasts, lighting effects, and kept the original merged layer and applied a bevel to it (which still needs a bit of work but it's a start). Looking at this first image is kind of embarrassing since my current screenie looks so much different, and I hope, better. Climate zones done, random color splotches, forests, and now starting on rivers. This is a full size screenie of just one continent but uploading a smaller version to fit here loses a lot of the detail.

ravells
12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Just looks glorious!

Greason Wolfe
12-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I'll second that, it looks great so far and I can't wait to see the finished product.

GW

Sapiento
12-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Looks great as usual!

Jaxilon
12-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm like the rest of these guys, Psyched to see the completed version! I'm sure when I tell my wife, "Hey Ascension has posted a new map." She'll come in and want my seat so she can scroll around and check out all the groovy stuff you always add in there.

Ascension
12-22-2010, 12:48 AM
I've spent the last week putting in rivers...lots and lots of rivers. And I'm still not done. I have the giant continent in the middle to do and that will take 3 days probably so that means I'll never get this done on time. The pic is shrunk down 50% so you can't see any of 'em dagnabit. Oh well.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
12-22-2010, 01:03 AM
For those who really want to know what the full size looks like :) And yes, I know, I've got rivers crossing mountains...dang it. I added some extra mtns halfway through the river process so now I have to go back and redo the first 2 continents on the left. Le sigh.

Diamond
12-22-2010, 02:03 AM
You're outta your damn mind, Ascension. And I love it. :D

Sapiento
12-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Incredible. I guess you are even dreaming of rivers now! ;)

RecklessEnthusiasm
12-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Ascension - This is a gorgeous map. It really leaps out, even in the thumbnail, due to the vivid colors. Then zooming in shows the really great texturing and detail work. Bravo.

ravells
12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
You're outta your damn mind, Ascension. And I love it. :D

What Diamond said.....incredible!

Ascension
01-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Nowhere near done, still working on rivers. That part just keeps beating me into the ground so I only do a lil bit a day. Redid the mtns to be more in scale, and started Google-fying it.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
This looks amazing. Not sure how it would be when it's complete but that yellow bordering seems sort of obnoxious by itself.

Immolate
01-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I know the project has exceeded the scope of time available to complete it, but if you continue, you may want to add the border beveling on the bottom of the map to the list of things to address. My hat is off to you fors being the bravest and most aggressive experimentalist among us.

Jaxilon
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I should add that of all the entries, and I mean no disrespect to any of them, this is the one I most wanted to see finished. I do hope you will carry on with it.

Ascension
01-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure how I want to proceed, really. I don't know if I want to do the full-on Googleishness (I'm not a real big fan but it is recognizable) or if I want to try something that I originally wanted to - something kinda spacey where if you were in a spaceship and you were probing this planet what sort of info would you get. Like metal concentrations, animal types and concentration, atmosphere levels, etc. It's something I want to try but I don't even know where to begin with representing that on a map like this. I could do it with other styles easily but I want to try to get everything in on here. Heck, I don't even really know what sort of info to include - maybe the space guys could help me out there 'cuz that's not my area of expertise.

Jaxilon
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Steve Jackson games has some great source books on building worlds and in Gurps Space they explain a lot about planet building. While you might not understand everything on their worksheet it has to go a long way in helping you determine useful information to include. There is a free download from their website for a Planetary record and Worksheet (http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0204). I would suggest at least going to the end pages where they have blank sheets to draw your own maps and stuff. Eventually, I plan to put some maps together along these lines myself. I also have the source books so if you have any issues that don't make sense I would be willing to look it up and answer without giving away anything proprietary.

Katto
01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Another great resource is Megatraveller's "World Builder's Handbook".