PDA

View Full Version : The World of Rysylis

ShadowStalker
12-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Hello, everyone. I've finished all the maps for my homebrew world. After much consideration, I decided to go with more "Viking Age" settlement names (since the setting is closer to the Viking Age than the Middle Ages). The maps were all hand drawn, except for the text and border which was done in Photoshop. Comments welcome.

More information on the setting can be found at my website: http://www.rysylis.webs.com.

Ascension
12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Nice work, man.

Steel General
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice job, simple but very effective...

ravells
12-11-2010, 03:01 PM
These are beautiful. Repped.

jtougas
12-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Very Nice !! repped :)

TheRedEpic
12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Excellent clean style. I really like the shore lines, they are great!

ShadowStalker
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Thank-you for the comments! I am shocked that so many of you like these, considering the great works that are on this site. I appreciate the comments.

Diamond
12-23-2010, 04:19 AM
I loves me some hand-drawn maps. Awesome job.

loongtim
12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Thank-you for the comments! I am shocked that so many of you like these, considering the great works that are on this site. I appreciate the comments.

Don't be shocked, these are great looking maps. Simple is beautiful. Looks like a map that you could find in the front of a novel.

jbgibson
12-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Again - don't be surprised - these are very nice work! There's nothing wrong - your style works well, and the various elements hang together just right. I do find myself wanting a scale - particularly if as you imply on the website, Linden is much smaller than the main continent. And even a simple outline placement of the two landmasses on a world map of some sort would help us visualize the difficulty or ease of the Linden emigration. If you haven't decided if these land masses are *all* there is to you your world, you can note a large swath of the locator world map as terra (oceanus?) incognita. Repped, with my #000 brush of repping.

ShadowStalker
01-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks a lot, loongtim and jbgibson--I appreciate the kind words.

Hmm... I see what you mean about the scale. I don't see why I couldn't add something like that.

I tried to make a world map, but two things happened. 1.) The two maps did not fit together (since I drew them on separate pieces of paper and tried to match it). And 2.) The image has to be HUGE in order to make out any words.

Gidde
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Missed this the first time around, but I love these maps! The style is wonderfully efficient; it conveys all the important information you need in an elegant yet clean and simple way. Bravo, rep coming from me :)

jbgibson
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
World map -- even though you prefer to hand-draw, you could make use of the computer versions: print the two continents out at different sizes, and trace the outlines. The detail on a world map can be way less than on your continent views - especially if you're just using it as a locator. Even if it's got Rysylis the size of a hand, and Linden the size of a US Quarter, separated by two handspans, the text could be 36 to 72 points.