PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Objects in GIMP/Photoshop

Doc_Waldo
12-14-2010, 03:02 AM
I would appreciate anyones suggestions or ideas on how they add, or manage all their dungeon objects in GIMP and/or Photoshop. How do you place? Are there plugin's than allow them to be like little libraries such as CC3/DD3? Do you drag and drop? How do you handle all the "junk" that needs to be placed in a dungeon, etc?

I am hoping to come up with a better way then I am currently handling it, which is dragging and dropping. Thanks.

Jaxilon
12-14-2010, 03:50 AM
I have taken to saving my objects as .gbr files which is a Gimp Brush. I keep them all in the same directory. Then whenever I want to use them I go into the preferences in Gimp and move that brush directory to the top of the list - Refresh brushes - and then I just splat them as I will using the paint brush or pencil.

You will have to add this private brush directory into the Gimp preferences list. Of course, you could just save your .gbr files to your regular brush directory but I don't like getting to much crap in there unless I need it.

Here is a picture of where you would do this: (my brush directory is the 2nd one .../brushes/brushes/ ) <-- I know it's not a real intuitive name, so what?

Doc_Waldo
12-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Very sneaky, I like it. Is there a quick way to convert .png or .jpg files to .gbr files?

Jaxilon
12-14-2010, 04:22 AM
My workflow goes like this:
1. Draw it on paper
2. Scan it in
3. Open it in Gimp
4. Scrub the image getting rid of all the stupid white I get from scanning. I usually just create a new transparent layer then go select all the white on the scan and delete it. The paste the rest on the Transparent layer.
5. Image Autocrop the new Object
6. save as .gbr

When I get Tablet I'm sure I'll save a freakin ton of time by drawing it directly onto a transparent layer but for now that's how I do it.

Edit: I just learned Step 4 can be done by simply hitting Layers>Transparency>Color to Alpha. It leaves the lines and removes everything else.

jtougas
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
What a great idea Jax!! they way I do it ends me up with 50+ layers.. :)

ravells
12-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Another way would be to open your base map in a vector app and put your objects in. You can have as many independently moveable, sizeable objects on as few layers as you want! For the same reason vector is also great for labelling.

The vector app I use has a 'gallery' in which you can put in objects and then just drag and drop them onto the workspace.

jtougas
12-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Another way would be to open your base map in a vector app and put your objects in. You can have as many independently moveable, sizeable objects on as few layers as you want! For the same reason vector is also great for labelling.

The vector app I use has a 'gallery' in which you can put in objects and then just drag and drop them onto the workspace.

Hmm..time to learn how to use that copy of Inkscape that I downloaded a few months ago.. :)

Midgardsormr
12-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Be aware that a brush in Photoshop is a grayscale image where white is transparent and black is opaque. It's not much good for dungeon objects because they'll lose all color and be semi-transparent.

Photoshop handles custom shapes the same way: they're solid black so you can make them whatever color you want; there's no way to store color information inside them.

You could try the Clone Stamp tool. Put all of your objects in a single Photoshop document with a transparent background. Open that document alongside your working document (this works best if you have two monitors, so you can keep your clone source doc on a different screen). You can clone stamp from one document into the other—just alt-click the object you want and stamp it down in your working document. The colors and transparency will be preserved, and all of the objects will go to the same layer (make sure you've got a layer strictly for these objects!) If you need to move something around, you can just lasso it.

It's not quite as versatile as a vector tool, but it works.

jtougas, what happened to your avatar?

Jaxilon
12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I think he's trying to be Moses :)

jtougas
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
jtougas, what happened to your avatar?

Ho Ho Ho..Darth Claus.... :)

Midgardsormr
12-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Aha. I get it. Maybe change the cloak to red, too:

Doc_Waldo
12-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Would you mind letting me know which vector program you use. Also, when you speak of a base map, are you speaking of one that you have completed in GIMP/Photoshop, then you would just open in the vector app and go to town? I like that option because it also preserves the map I created, if I am thinking correctly. The huge selling point for me here is the option for a "gallery" in the vector program. I am hoping they have a mac like program you are speaking about. Thanks.

Midgardsormr
12-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I believe ravs uses Serif Drawplus (http://www.serif.com/drawplus/), which is Windows only. Adobe Illustrator, available for Mac or Windows, has that capability, but it's obviously quite pricy. I'm not sure about Inkscape, but it's free and it runs on Mac, so there's no reason not to try it.

jtougas
12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Aha. I get it. Maybe change the cloak to red, too:

And done...sorry about the thread jack :)

RobA
12-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Very sneaky, I like it. Is there a quick way to convert .png or .jpg files to .gbr files?

Oddly enough I just whipped up a script in response to a post over at the Gimp Plugin Registry to batch convert a directory of image files into gimp brushes and store them in your personal brush directory (the location is an option, though).

Get the script here: http://ffaat.pointclark.net/incoming/scripts/batch-convert-to-brush.scm

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
12-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Is there any instructions as to what size images or how they should be prepared beforehand?

DevinNight
12-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Midgardsormr... I didn't realize you could clone stamp from one file to the next.. i'll try that soon. I wish photoshop had a library like Illustrator does. It would make things easier. Thanks for that info.

I have sheets of objects that I will open then copy one into PS, then from there use the clone stamp to repeat it several times on a layer. It takes a while to find the right object, and then place it correctly. Vector is great for setting up complex things quickly, but it usually looks very vectory. I've thought about taking my PSD objects and live-tracing them and saving those as symbols, I might have to test that sometime soon.

RobA
12-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Is there any instructions as to what size images or how they should be prepared beforehand?

Brushes are scalable so size doesn't really matter except in speed of stamping.

If the source image files support (and have) transparency like png then the brush should respect it and end up as a full colour brushes with transparency (stamps)

Haven't tested it on greyscale source image files.... they might end up as transparent brushes with the transparency- haven't had a chance to test.

-Rob A>

Doc_Waldo
12-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Vector is great for setting up complex things quickly, but it usually looks very vectory. I've thought about taking my PSD objects and live-tracing them and saving those as symbols, I might have to test that sometime soon.

What do you mean by "vectory", also any luck with saving as symbols?

ravells
12-19-2010, 04:41 AM
Pure vector objects tend to look very 'clean' (clear defined edges etc) compared to raster objects.

koralas
12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Oddly enough I just whipped up a script in response to a post over at the Gimp Plugin Registry to batch convert a directory of image files into gimp brushes and store them in your personal brush directory (the location is an option, though).

Get the script here: http://ffaat.pointclark.net/incoming/scripts/batch-convert-to-brush.scm

-Rob A>

Dude, ok I am a newb, just getting started and I must say this is awesome! With being able to scale brushes, makes it that much better! And, someone had mentioned the preferences to organize your brushes, I am loving every minute of this!