PDA

View Full Version : Famine in Far-Go area map...

mearrin69
12-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi all,
Here's a quick map I whipped up for the very old Gamma World adventure Famine in Far-Go. The original, I felt, was pretty dissimilar from the actual terrain near Fargo, ND so I wanted to redo it - and, yes, there is a hyphen in anal-retentive. I'm attaching both the map with GM secrets and an unmarked maps (which could be handed to players but I'm planning on making a physical map out of junk for use in-game).

Here's the WiP thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12831-WiP-Famine-in-Far-Go...&p=137065#post137065), but there's not much to see there. Hope you like it.
M

Edit: Here's the original map (http://www.nationalacrobat.com/images/Fargo_jpg.jpg)(although it differs from the one in my module for some reason). Scale and geography is way off the real deal, hence my OCD need to redo the map. :)

TheRedEpic
12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey I redid this map for Wizards in the expansion set that just came out for Gamma Worlds, haha. I actually like your map alot though!

Edit: Wait i actually did Dah-Ko-Tah area map, my bad! Excellent work however:)

geamon
12-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Nice work as always M. Man do you love those beveled/embossed forests/trees!!

mearrin69
12-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey, thanks.

I have't taken the plunge on the new version yet because I'm not big on the whole "card game" route it seems to have taken. Probably will do it anyway though...so I'm looking forward to your maps! The stuff I've seen from you on here is awesome.
M

Jaxilon
12-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm with you mearrin on the card game thing. Plus, I really don't like the idea of never knowing what your mutation is going to be. Unless I understood that completely wrong every time you go into battle you have a different mutation. For me that's not fun Role play. I prefer to know beforehand what my role is. Anyway that's another diskushun.

Great map!

jtougas
12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Awesome as usual my friend.. :)

Aegeri
12-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm with you mearrin on the card game thing. Plus, I really don't like the idea of never knowing what your mutation is going to be. Unless I understood that completely wrong every time you go into battle you have a different mutation. For me that's not fun Role play. I prefer to know beforehand what my role is. Anyway that's another diskushun.

Great map!

Bear in mind that it is quite possible to be playing as a swarm of psionic kittens in Gamma World. Gamma World is not a serious roleplaying game in any respect. It's really good at short 1 offs between another campaign and doing perfectly zany things. In this context the cards are an amazing and fun addition. It's worth noting that "boosters" or similar nonsense isn't required. It isn't a competitive game (it's still fundamentally DnD, just with moths that shoot radioactive laser beams and pig cops with cannons that fire atomic chickens), so there is no need to have a magic the gathering like arms race with cards or anything.

But really, gamma world is not serious business in any respect.

As for the map in the OP, I am conflicted because I like both of the maps presented. I actually think the OPs has a more gritty look to it and I rather like that for Gamma World, which just seems to scream terrible pulp science fiction. I mean if you want to know how I get in the mood for writing my GW campaigns I watch terrible B-horror movies like Inseminoid, Eight Legged Freaks and Slither. Albeit, two of those are probably in a different league of terrible to Inseminoid in fairness. I think that movie actually transcends utterly terrible.

mearrin69
12-18-2010, 10:32 PM
A swarm of psionic kittens? Dude, I am so gonna put that into the campaign at some point. BTW we're going to use nice poker chips as Domars. That'll be fun to throw those around the table.

Still not sure about the variable mutation thing. I've got GW 1e, the "cyber badger" edition, the Alternity version and the D20 books. My favorite rules-wise is the Alternity version, as I've always liked that system. My favorite flavor-wise is 1e...none of the other one-page backstories has really struck my fancy the way that one did.

I do like the original maps...whether GW or D&D. I think they're half of the reason I started playing anyway.
M

Aegeri
12-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Gamma World is complete insanity to say the least, some of the origins just produce immensely whacky results. It has some nice maps though - one of which I may even use in Eberron as a substitute for an eldritch machine if I need it. It's effectively pure nonsense and the cards really do add to it in a fun and amusing way. The fortune cards for regular DnD can go take a hike though.

mearrin69
12-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Well, I picked up 4e tonight. It looks pretty interesting at least. I think my group will give it a go...after we play some 1e. ;)
M

mearrin69
12-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I'll just add to this thread rather than creating a new one. Here's another re-do of an encounter map from the original Famine in Far-Go. The PCs have come to a damaged bridge and must cross. The northern side of the road is covered with heavily mutated (and dangerous) vegetation due to the recent crash of a radioactive meteor. In true Gygaxian fashion, there's really no way around fighing the red fungus there and the whatchamacallit mutated fish in the river...the bridge is gonna collapse no matter what. I'll probably fix that a bit when I run it so smart players can keep their characters from going into the drink. The original map was old-school blue.
M

Edit: Updated with some beautification and a compass rose...forgot that last time.

mearrin69
12-28-2010, 11:32 AM
And, here's another remake from the same original map page. In this one, the PCs encounter the meteor that has been causing Far-Go so much trouble...oh, and also a scary radioactive tree with tentacles. This was my best quick take on the Tarn Zeb, but it's a little hinkey really.
M

Aegeri
12-28-2010, 04:48 PM
I would give you more rep for the tentacle tree alone (but I must spread it around), but both of those maps are very good.

mearrin69
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks very much. Here's another. It's not 100% done but it's about as far as I'm going to get on it I think.

This is the lair of a group of Badders (intelligent mutated badgers). The PCs get railroaded into captivity here (in the original module anyway) and have to deal with the Badders and escape. Badders style themselves on medieval feudal military societies. I plan to have some encounters with them in my game, just not with the "you're captured, no save" thing. I'm going to run them like the knights/nobility in Twain's Yankee. I love the way he portrayed them...
M

jtougas
12-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Whew...Badgers..I hear they like carrots.. :) Awesome work M !!

Jaxilon
12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Woohooo - Badders were one of my favorite mobs in this game. Rock on!

arsheesh
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Looking really good Mearrin! I'd hate to run into those mutated badgers.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

RjBeals
12-29-2010, 10:53 PM
you have such a great style mearrin - thanks for sharing those pieces!

mearrin69
12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. I'm getting excited about running this game...playing it on the 10th after I get back from CES (several days of hell in Vegas). It'll be a nice way to get back to the "real" world. ;)
m

Aegeri
12-30-2010, 12:01 AM
That Badder map is excellent: Would you be able to do an untagged version of it?

mearrin69
12-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks. I've got everything in layers so...sure. Let me know what you want taken off (or left on if that's easier) and I'll post a new unmarked version.

And, BTW, anybody's welcome to use these in their home games and so on...it's not like I own the copyright! :)
M

Aegeri
12-30-2010, 04:01 AM
The name in the corner (which you do so well!) and the badder (the picture that is) is all I would leave. It's actually just the right size for VTT, making it very handy indeed.

mearrin69
12-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Will do. I'll put it up unmarked later today.
M

Edit: Here you go.