PDA

View Full Version : 3D City Block

jtougas
12-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Well since I seem to have a slight ;) obsession with sketchup lately I decide to see if I could come up with a city block design for my upcoming Stormhaven map. This is what I came up with. I think it's pretty neat and fairly easy It would also be easy to add details for a close in "street level" view.

mearrin69
12-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Heya. That looks pretty cool. I've always liked Sketchup's "sketchy" architectural renderer. With some details that'd be looking pretty snazzy. I wanted to do 3D district maps for my Haibianr city block and they'd look great in a style like this...but modeling that many buildings in detail would simply kill me. Hmmm. I need to hire Crayons to do it in Plumton style! :)
M

jtougas
12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks M I'm going to try to do about 10 or so of these for Stormhaven (the next big city in Shendenflar) I think I might do two different versions the normal "top down" version and then a "street level" version with more detail.. :)

BTW here's another one...

jtougas
12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
After a couple of hours of fiddling with this using some textures I had on hand I came up with this for a top down look. I'd probably go hunt (or make) some new roof textures to mix it up some but this was just a test let me know what you think.. :)

Ascension
12-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Looks fine so far. You need some fireplace thingies on top and some of those window things that you see on old houses that stick up above the roof (can't remember anything right now, my brain must be broken). Anyway, what you could also do is make up a bunch of different houses with different shapes and after each one is done you select all of the lines and planes and then group them. Then you have a bunch of lil models so you can just plop em down like a lil toy train town. I have something like that but I never put the patterns on the roofs, or did the fireplace thingies or window thingies...so maybe someone else will :)

jtougas
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Looks fine so far. You need some fireplace thingies on top and some of those window things that you see on old houses that stick up above the roof (can't remember anything right now, my brain must be broken). Anyway, what you could also do is make up a bunch of different houses with different shapes and after each one is done you select all of the lines and planes and then group them. Then you have a bunch of lil models so you can just plop em down like a lil toy train town. I have something like that but I never put the patterns on the roofs, or did the fireplace thingies or window thingies...so maybe someone else will :)

Thats a good idea. I think I'll try that oh and I'll add chimneys and dormers too.. ;)

Ascension
12-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah, those things :) I wrote that right after waking up from a nap so I guess my brain wasn't fully firing.

Katto
12-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Looks good jtougas. I have also tried something like that in Wings and then exported it to Bryce. You can get good results in no time. Keep on!