PDA

View Full Version : Stormhaven

jtougas
12-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I must be crazy..Another city I'm going to try an antique look for this one. I have the basic layout done but as usual the buildings are giving me grief. :)

JDCt
12-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I can sympathize with you there, building were also giving me a problem, and street layout :P Your layout looks great and looks fairly well divided up. Looking forward to seeing this progress!

jtougas
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Well I think I figured out the buildings A little of this a little of that and voila !! I started to label this sucker as well I'll have a key somewhere to call out the important locations.. :)

jtougas
12-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Here it is with a cartouche and a border.. (I seem to struggle with borders but I rather like this one. :) ) I like the "antique" style but obviously I'll need some more practice at it. I was going to name all the streets but at this size the labels would have to be tiny so there was no need. The same goes for the key. I'll just call this the "decorative" copy that would hang in a office somewhere... :)

jtougas
12-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I decided to try another approach with this map and divide the wards into their own maps this is the WIP of Sea Ward

jtougas
12-28-2010, 12:21 AM
I decided the cobblestones were a bit much so I went in a different direction I like this better. I've also started labeling this beast... :)

jtougas
12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I added some textural details to "liven" up this map a bit I've started to label it as well. Now I just have to read through 20 or so hand written pages... :) * I had to resize the original image from 4000x4000*

jtougas
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Well here it is. After straining my eyes for a couple of hours trying to read my awful writing from 20 years ago I have this done. I really like how this turned out. Now on to the other half of Stormhaven... :)

njordys
12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Looks like really good progress :)

TregMallin
12-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice to see a corner of Oerth mapped. :) I think you misspelled Fharlanghn in #10, but it could be the font.

jtougas
12-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Nice to see a corner of Oerth mapped. :) I think you misspelled Fharlanghn in #10, but it could be the font.

Thanks !! And your right I misspelled his name.. doh.. :)

ravells
01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Looks great, jt! Just one suggestion: Your main roads look like they've sliced through bordering buildings - you might want to rebuild them with the black stroke that's missing and a less obvious 'slice through' effect!

best

Ravs

jtougas
01-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Looks great, jt! Just one suggestion: Your main roads look like they've sliced through bordering buildings - you might want to rebuild them with the black stroke that's missing and a less obvious 'slice through' effect!

best

Ravs

Thanks Rav. Another case of looking too long at something and not seeing it. I think I fixed the problem. I actually "burned down" a bunch of buildings as after re-reading my notes I realized that Stormhaven wasn't quite as crowded as I portrayed in the map. I added a outer-glow to the buildings to give them a bit of definition I also fixed my typo's and added a scale.

Ascension
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
My only quibble is that you have a lot of dead space (that ocean). There's no need to see a repeated pattern that much, no matter how much you like it. :) Plus I can see the seams. The focus is supposed to be on the town. Take that key and lay it out sideways instead of vertical or move it off to the right or left of the town. Also, you have some cut off shadows so you might want to put shadows in after you erase building shapes. ;)

jtougas
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
My only quibble is that you have a lot of dead space (that ocean). There's no need to see a repeated pattern that much, no matter how much you like it. :) Plus I can see the seams. The focus is supposed to be on the town. Take that key and lay it out sideways instead of vertical or move it off to the right or left of the town. Also, you have some cut off shadows so you might want to put shadows in after you erase building shapes. ;)

After some consideration and realizing that Ascension was right..(surprise surprise) :) I reworked this map. I stretched the key along the top to hide the vast expanse of ocean that I had there. As Ascension said this is a map of Stormhaven. I also added a different texture to the ground layer to get rid of the seams. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks!! :)
*EDIT* Ugh.. That border is horrible..add that to the list.. :)

Ascension
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Here's what I'd do now. Take the compass, make it black and move it directly down from where it is now and put it in the ocean...then move it to the right a little bit. Take the crest and move it to the right and try to increase the contrast a bit making it more black and less gray. Take your title and move it over as well. Make "Stormhaven" big and the other stuff smaller - possibly use a simpler font as well, but not like Comic Sans or anything too simple. Now you have much more space for all the key entries and we'll be able to read them. :)

The new sand pattern for the streets is ok but if you combined it with the old blocks pattern it might be nice - set the sand layer on top and either change the blend mode or reduce opacity or both. Your docks look pretty good so if you can get that kind of detail into the roofs then we're talking much better. That will require a lot of time, though. Put a copy of your wood planks on a layer. Duplicate that layer and keep the original layer safe. Now position the wood planks on a roof, put one edge in the middle of the roof. If you can stretch the wood then stretch it out to cover the edge otherwise you might have to enlarge the wood planks. Now duplicate this layer and move it so that the two edges meet in the middle. Make one side darker with a color overlay. When done merge these layers and trim to fit the house shape. Now do this for every house. :) As you can see this can be very time consuming and it's one of the many things that make city-builders go crazy. To break up the monotony I use some other patterns for my roofs like shingles, tiles, slate, terra cotta, stone, and marble.

Use at your own risk :)

jtougas
01-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I've decided that I'm going to follow Ascension's advice about the roofs and have started the process. I can see this is going to take some time.. :) As far as the map key goes I like it the way it is. (plus it was a ton of work to get all that lined up..) :)

Small progress on the roofs..

ravells
01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Ah yes... it is time:

Ascension
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Heh heh :) Good one.

jtougas
01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh how lovely..are there cookies?.... :)

Ascension
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
They're blue with pink polka dots and you're the only one who can see them.

jtougas
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I've decided that I'm going to try for an "old school" feel to this. (don't worry Ascension I've also started on a version using your tips :) ) I changed the font to something a little less fancy and have gotten rid of all the textures. I'll be adding more streets and working on the key next. :)

Ascension
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Not to worry, man; some things just take way too much effort and, in the end, still look like junk. If you want to scrap that other one then fine by me; doesn't bother me at all. You learned some things and that's what's important.

jtougas
01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks I certainly learned some things. And there's no way I'm going to scrap the other version (not after a couple dozen hours working on roof textures.. :) )

jtougas
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Managed to get some work done on this in between chasing shadow issues and light points on my challenge entry :) Not much of an update but I color keyed the important buildings and I'm also thinking of adding a grid but can't decide between square (which I know how to make) and hex (which I don't) What do you all think? :)

ravells
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
If you're going to use the grid as an X/Y marker (e.g. the Palace is at G4), then I'd go for a square grid. Thanks to Isomage you don't need to make a hex grid, his clever little application available online Link Here (http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/misc/svg-hex.cgi) does it for you! But you will need something that can read SVG files like inkscape (which I see you have). I remember further up in this post you mentioned the problems lining up your text labels. Did you do the labels in inkscape? If you had it would have taken seconds to line them up. It's always worth considering doing your labelling in vector.

jtougas
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
If you're going to use the grid as an X/Y marker (e.g. the Palace is at G4), then I'd go for a square grid. Thanks to Isomage you don't need to make a hex grid, his clever little application available online Link Here (http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/misc/svg-hex.cgi) does it for you! But you will need something that can read SVG files like inkscape (which I see you have). I remember further up in this post you mentioned the problems lining up your text labels. Did you do the labels in inkscape? If you had it would have taken seconds to line them up. It's always worth considering doing your labelling in vector.

Thanks for the tip Rav. I seem to be having trouble using the curved text tool in Inkscape (although I'm no expert by far.. :) ) I think I want a hex grid more as a scale feature so I'll check that out. :)

jtougas
01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
After Ravells great tip I have my hex grid (Each hex=25') I think I'm going to change the color of the ocean it seems a bit bright :)

moutarde
01-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I've found that you almost never want to use fully saturated colours (ie your ocean blue looks like R0,G0,B255). Using more faded colours almost always is more pleasing to the eye, and even just plain easier to look at! :)

jtougas
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I've found that you almost never want to use fully saturated colours (ie your ocean blue looks like R0,G0,B255). Using more faded colours almost always is more pleasing to the eye, and even just plain easier to look at! :)

Thats very true. The Ocean had been bothering me since the beginning of this project. Here it is with the color toned a bit and the key started. I'm not 100% certain about the font but it is easy to read.

Gidde
01-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Aww, you even gave us a building :) I like the font. And the new ocean color looks better, too.

jtougas
01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Aww, you even gave us a building :) I like the font. And the new ocean color looks better, too.

Thanks :) Funny thing about the CG I had written that in there long ago as it featured prominently in one of the adventures I had written for My Kingdom of Shendenflar. Little did I know years later that the real CG would feature so prominently in my real life. :)

ravells
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
I love 'The nets tavern'...cool name and really evocative. Small punctuation point: plural possessives should have the apostrophe after the 's'; e.g. Cartographers' Guild.

... but then you invented the Cartographers' Guild long before we existed, so I shouldn't be so tetchy!!!! :)

I think I might start calling you 'Paul Muaddib!'

best

Ravs

jtougas
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I love 'The nets tavern'...cool name and really evocative. Small punctuation point: plural possessives should have the apostrophe after the 's'; e.g. Cartographers' Guild.

... but then you invented the Cartographers' Guild long before we existed, so I shouldn't be so tetchy!!!! :)

I think I might start calling you 'Paul Muaddib!'

best

Ravs

I know who Paul Muaddib is but I don't think I get the joke.. And as far as the CG goes every big fantasy city has one where else can the players go to see a map of that far away land or that back alley?. Please realize that most of these names for things in Shendenflar were written over 20 years ago. (I guess I was simpler then) :)

Now I think I'm mostly done with this. I like the old school "TSR" feel to it. Next up Sea Ward. :) As always feedback is requested and appreciated. Thanks !! :)