PDA

View Full Version : Some more pen & paper Isometrics

Gluhoded
12-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Hi,

These are a couple of sketches I've made this week. The point is trying to get as much practice as possible with drawing medieval style before the Wacom arrives (today!)

The first is like a countrside inn I guess

This one looks to me more like some structures on the outskirts of a small town

What I was aiming for is a tactical strategy game feel (like commandos or desperados).
Any advice on ways of improving my work would be most welcome.

Marry Xmas from Jerusalem! :-]

Aenigma
12-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Looks awesome! I would suggest that you study medieval buildings, but that is kind of obvious...

Have you ever thought of drawing buildings with straw-roofs?

Gluhoded
12-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Actually I did make a straw roof sketch, but I wasn't quite happy with it so wasn't sure whether to put it here or not.

anyway here it is:

Fransie
12-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Nice drawings. The windmill is a bit strange, though. Usually, the cap and sails can rotate 360 degrees so the windmill can function in any wind direction. The adjoining building prevents that in this case.

ravells
12-24-2010, 07:12 AM
These are absolutely beautiful, Glu. I can't give you any advice as to how to improve since your drawing skills are a zillion times better than mine, I'd love to know how you approach your sketches and see shots of one in progress.

Sharpe
12-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Man, these are great! I love them. Funny, my favorite is the straw roof one!

JDCt
12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
:o

Amazing!

jfrazierjr
12-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Actually I did make a straw roof sketch, but I wasn't quite happy with it so wasn't sure whether to put it here or not.

anyway here it is:

I think you got spot on with the straw roofs. A bit of tannish yellow color, and it would look like straw to me.

Actually, I did a quick color...Hope you don't mind

jfrazierjr
12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Any chance once you get your tablet you might make some more like these freely available for non commercial use? It would be nice to have more stuff in this style as individual components.

Gluhoded
12-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Oh, sure, feel free to do whatever you want with these,
no problem :-]

Katto
12-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I love your "sketches", great work.

jbgibson
12-27-2010, 01:47 AM
re: the one-way windmill -- prevailing winds? And the sketches are great!

Gluhoded
12-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Well... maybe the local lord is rather mad and believes that only 180 degrees of wind direction may be used by peasants (not to spoil the pleasent sea breeze in his palace in the evening).

anyway thanks for the comments!
today (two boring hours of history of medicine through art) - i'll try my luck at making cutaway buildings.

jtougas
12-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Well... maybe the local lord is rather mad and believes that only 180 degrees of wind direction may be used by peasants (not to spoil the pleasent sea breeze in his palace in the evening).

anyway thanks for the comments!
today (two boring hours of history of medicine through art) - i'll try my luck at making cutaway buildings.

THATS the answer I would go with.. Peasants should feel fortunate they are allowed any wind at all.. :)

Gluhoded
12-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Here is another one I did about two weeks ago, some smaller buildings:

And another one from earlier this week - town square:

Gluhoded
12-31-2010, 06:16 AM
And here is a WIP of an indoor map of an inn.

I was mostly worried about getting it right (was there supposed to be a connection to the fireplace in every single room? were there indoor toilets in 16c inns?)

Jaxilon
12-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Hey! These are really nice. Thanks for sharing.

SandmanNet
12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi,

These are a couple of sketches I've made this week. The point is trying to get as much practice as possible with drawing medieval style before the Wacom arrives (today!)

The first is like a countrside inn I guess

This one looks to me more like some structures on the outskirts of a small town

What I was aiming for is a tactical strategy game feel (like commandos or desperados).
Any advice on ways of improving my work would be most welcome.

Marry Xmas from Jerusalem! :-]

You have nice skills. When going all-digital, one thing to do is to sketch up the building in 3D using a free tool such as Googles Sketchup. Lay them out as you want them and then save as JPG, open it in Photoshop and do your hand drawing on a layer on top of the 3D render. Basically, one white layer, your google render layer with 20% opacity and then your drawing layer.

This way, all your lines always match up and your perspective will always be 100% correct. It's really frustrating when you realize that one of your buildings is slightly off axis. I wouldn't really call it cheating. When doing this kind of work on a paper, I always worked from a two-point perspective line on the horizon and all X/Z-lines was measured with a ruler.

Gluhoded
01-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Just got my digital pad & spend most of the time playing around with photoshop brush sets.
I have google sketchup, and I'll try to do what you said.

Thanks for the advice!

ravells
01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Glu, I think your artworks are superb. I can't wait to see what you will be able to do with the digital tablet.

Gluhoded
01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Well... here's my first attemt with my new Intuos3 and PS.
Took me about 40 minutes to draw this.

when I'll have some more time I'll work on "de-cartooning" my drawing style.
(the first thing I'll try is imitating Crayon's extremely cool style, hopefully I won't suck at it :-] )

jfrazierjr
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Looking good. One request/suggestion: Could you make each a png instead of jpg for easier drop in use, assuming your ok with others using them. Also, if you are ok with others using them, you might want to specify any some type of license.

Gluhoded
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh ok! next time i'll save them in PNG format.

as for license - I guess I have to give credit to fox_orian from deviant art for using his brushes. other than that - the license is "use it however you want, and if it was useful - tell me".

Gluhoded
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Ok here's the pic in PNG format (with an extra thatched roof hut I've made 5 minutes ago)

jfrazierjr
01-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Umm.. sorry I did not clarify. I meant png with transparency instead of the white background...lol

ravells
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Wow.....40 minutes! I just hope you keep going, I love your stuff, Glu!

Gluhoded
01-08-2011, 03:37 AM
here's the *.png, hope it's what you wanted:

p.s
a small question - how do i copy+paste in the same layer? when i select something i can duplicate it to a new layer, is there a way to do copy+paste in the same layer like in MSPAINT?

Ascension
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
You can't copy/paste in the same layer per se but once you learn how to use the clone stamp tool it does basically the same thing.