PDA

View Full Version : December Entry: Xperemiante

Jaxilon
12-25-2010, 03:32 AM
I figured I may as well join the fray since I'm working on something of the right size anyway. This started as an experiment and continues as such but somewhere along the way I realized I was inspired to attempt it because of the challenge that is going on. Although I don't feel like I can win this I do want to support all you guys who inspired me. The more that enter the merrier it goes, more votes, etc. So, even when not trying to be this place continues to fire up my creative juices. Thanks again everyone. Plus, while I think there is little chance of my finishing this based on what I have going on for the next week I figure that by joining the challenge it will help motivate me to at least try to finish it.

I'm also still trying to figure out ways to make things mesh in this style so I'm all ears if you have anything good to share :)

There is a wip in the Regional threads (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12884-Xperemiante) but this is where I will attempt to complete it.

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
12-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Jax,

The thing that leaps out at me is that the variation in ocean color doesn't seem to interact with the land masses. I naturally interpret lighter shades of blue as shallower water, and I expect to see shallower water concentrated around land masses forming continental shelves. I know you aren't trying for a literal style, but departures from orthodoxy should be self-explanatory. I'm not thinking along the lines of the contest--the kind of change I'm suggesting is fundamental and may not be simple depending on how you created your land masses.

However you created your land masses, they came out very interesting, with lots of scatter and plenty of lakes. I like it.

jtougas
12-25-2010, 11:52 AM
The mountains are getting there Jax I still love the forests and overall landmass look maybe you could try some kind of shading around the edge of them All in all I love this map !! :)

Diamond
12-25-2010, 04:50 PM
I see what Immolate's getting at; the way you have the oceans set up now makes the land look like it's floating. It's very pretty (and cool looking) but it doesn't seem 'natural' to me.

Jaxilon
12-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I hadn't done anything really with the ocean but I sure see what you mean. In that respect I sort of wish I had started with it in mind. Since I didn't I will just do the best I can with it. I think Imm said it best when he didn't think there would be an easy way. :(

So here is the latest.

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
12-25-2010, 09:39 PM
What you've done helps a lot Jax. Since you're not going for a literalist approach, it ties in well with the other elements.

Jaxilon
12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks Imm. My wife liked it but to me it's a bit too electric. I was playing around with the color of the Ocean a bit more. Not sure which direction to go with here but I like the chocolate looking one for my wallpaper...it's nice on the eyes.

Brown Sea & little less electric blue versions. Undecided on which I like best but I'm going to move on with other things for a bit. (these are scaled down to fit my desktop 1920 x 1080 or as close as can be)

Diamond
12-26-2010, 02:12 AM
I like the blue one much better, for what it's worth...

Jaxilon
12-27-2010, 06:03 AM
More updates - started on labels and painted a flaming sword I am thinking of using for my North indicator. Borders are on but I'm not sure if I like the style. I may want to just go to a line. Also there are a bunch of location icons for Towns, castles, barbarians and Pirates of course - Arrrg! :)

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
12-28-2010, 03:54 AM
As much as I like how my flaming sword came out I just don't think it works that well with this map. I'll save it for another one. I made a Compass Rose that I think is much better. Also (the part I don't like) I added more labels. Labels are an aspect I'm still getting down. I hope they get easier because they are kind of a hassle right now.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
12-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Call me weird, but labeling/thinking up names is my favorite part of the process. I love coming up with something unique-sounding, then imaging the history behind it and how it all interacts. Not to mention I like experimenting with meshing different fonts and sizes and numbers of labels into a map while keeping the whole thing legible and cool-looking. But then I'm just strange that way. :D

Jaxilon
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, I think it's more my lack of confidence in the labeling process. I'm doing this in Inkscape which I am a total noob with and I'm up against the gun time wise to finish this. Probably once I'm happy with my process and can just think about the names it will be more fun. When I have the time I do enjoy coming up with a history and imagining what the people of the world say about the Barbarian inhabited continent to the south or the volcano belching steam into the air. Do they sacrifice there? For now I'm stuck with trying to name everything, make sure it's legible and in harmony with the map. I also need to build up my font library. Oh well, I am fairly pleased with how this is looking considering I wasn't even sure it was going to look like anything when I started.

Jaxilon
12-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Did I do something wrong in my title that my entry is not in the thumbs yet or has it just not been updated in a while?

I got more labels done, finished the Compass Rose, Put the whole thing in a frame and started on a map key. The key is barely more than a placeholder but I wanted to get it down so I could see how things were going to fit.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
12-30-2010, 06:43 AM
What happens is that we need to add your entry in then run the scraper to get the image. I'd do it myself right now but I haven't had any sleep (just one of those nights where ya can't get to sleep) so I don't trust myself with the tech side of things right now. If it hasn't been done by this evening then I'll do it.

silvijanus
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
nice green for forests look

Jaxilon
12-31-2010, 01:19 AM
@Ascension - Thanks, I was hopeful that was what it was. I didn't want to go into the voting and not be on the ticket.

@silvijanus - Thanks for the comment. I did make a little tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12882-Mountains-amp-Forests-experimentation&p=137492&viewfull=1#post137492) on how to do those if you are interested. I should probably post that over in the Tutorials thread.

Well here's another update. This one might be it, unless someone sees something I just can't live without changing. I'm going to be busy tomorrow night so unless a miracle occurs I won't be able to do much. I think it's about as ready as I can get it....unless I catch insomnia again.

The border was a bit red so I tweaked that down. I also finished the map key. I was trying for a brass plate type thing and I guess it came out pretty well.

Edit: Looks like at 3.75mb the thumbnail pops off? Not sure, it's been going so well lately I just thought we'd finally figured it out.
### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
12-31-2010, 01:22 AM
It's totally random as to what gets messed up - so far as we can tell. If you really want your thumbnail to be visible (which I always do) then re-save the image and then delete your uploaded one then re-upload it. The most I've ever had to do that is 2 re-ups.

Jaxilon
12-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Well heck...it drives me nuts but I can't get that thing to work. I've deleted and re-uploaded like 5 times now...grrrr. I am like you in that I really want my thumbnail to work.

Jaxilon
12-31-2010, 02:45 AM
Well, now I know I'm done. I just saved my flattened version I've been using for doing labels over the top of my .xcf which means I blew away about 20 layers. That really sucks. I did gain a bunch of disk space (from like 600 down to like 40MB).
Even though this isn't for anything other than the competition it does sort of give me a sick feeling in my stomach. I might feel a little depressed right now :( Thank goodness this wasn't a few days ago. At least I'm close to finished.

Must be time for me to move on to something else.

Minor update because I missed a label on a town.

PS. What do you know at least the thumb worked this time.

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
12-31-2010, 03:21 AM
That's purdy. Nice map, Jax!
M

Ascension
12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
I think there's a lot here to like so you did yourself proud Jax. The only thing I'd think about is making the ocean shallows cling to the coastlines a lil better to prevent the land from floating. Maybe it's the black edge of the coastline that makes it look that way. Anyway, great job, man.

Jaxilon
12-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Ascension. I was playing with the shoreline layer a bit before I flattened everything and wasn't sure which was was better. At this point I guess this one is :) Next time I'm going to try planning the Shallows into the map at the beginning instead of doing it backwards. I think it'll be easier.

The only thing I still have to decide is if I like the Darker Ocean like in my last post, or the one from before which was a shade lighter.

jtougas
12-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Excellent Jax !! (lets hope there isn't any Nexium on this world.. ) :)

Jaxilon
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Hehe, well, it does look tasty with all the pretty colors. I could see why an invasion would be imminent.

Update: I decided to go with a slightly lighter shade of Ocean that's all.

Now I have to try to make myself go to work. It snowed here yesterday which is nuts. Happens like once every 10 years. This morning was covered with frost and the sky is gray and overcast.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Looking great Jax, nice 'painterly' feel to it and looks massive too!