PDA

View Full Version : Self-introducing RPG enthusiast

StickGrinder
12-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi there everybody.

My name is Paolo, I'm 33, I'm from the north of Italy and I stumbled in this site while searching for a way to get a fantasy map laid down for an home-brew RPG campaign setting.
I'm the sort of guy that has strong visions but no clear ideas (but much more I don't have much time for timekillers, since I'm freelancing all day) and I was in search for resources on how to spring an initial "fractal world map" to let my fantasy run back and forth in search for the right inspiration.

After a look at some of your works I realised that the best choice could be to ask for some collaboration (or paid service, if this applies here) in this, since my hopes to become a skilled map-maker collide with my very lack of time: time that I should better use to think about my fantasy setting so that my players could enjoy it in our weekly sessions.

In the meantime I'll try to learn as much as possible from you masters. I'm not completely unaware when it comes to graphics, since I made a living out of web design since some year ago (I'm now a web developer, not touching graphics anymore) but still I saw real masterpieces here!
Maybe I could give something back at some extent... we'll see.

Many thanks to all. :)

SchildConstruct
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Well, I can "donate" a scratch map to your honorable cause (result of a tutorial on this website: the Salderan one, to be exact). :)

It's not much, and I'd rework it, but I'm busy with maps for my own world-building effort. ;)

(License: CC-BY-SA-3.0-Germany*)

P.S.: If you want, I'll happily send you a PM containing a link to the (CS5) PSD file.

NeonKnight
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

jtougas
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Welcome To The Guild I'm sure there are more than enough resources here to help you :)

StickGrinder
12-30-2010, 07:19 AM
@SchildConstruct: Many, many thanks for your donation! I think I could learn a lot watching your PSD file, but I'm a Linux guy and I'll go with GIMP and InkScape, I think. Moreover I don't think my skills will ever justify the costs for PS licenses! :P I could try to open your source file with GIMP and see what happens! :-)

Many thanks to all of you guys! Yesterday evening I took a glance to you "Getting started" topic and I discovered a whole world! :) I'm eager to delve into map making now, just because I don't have enough stuff to do all days... it will be a sloooooow way to go! :D My experience with graphics dates back to CS2 suite, now that I'm on Linux I have to learn how to use new tools but I'm sure they could do the job!

jtougas
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
@SchildConstruct: Many, many thanks for your donation! I think I could learn a lot watching your PSD file, but I'm a Linux guy and I'll go with GIMP and InkScape, I think. Moreover I don't think my skills will ever justify the costs for PS licenses! :P I could try to open your source file with GIMP and see what happens! :-)

Many thanks to all of you guys! Yesterday evening I took a glance to you "Getting started" topic and I discovered a whole world! :) I'm eager to delve into map making now, just because I don't have enough stuff to do all days... it will be a sloooooow way to go! :D My experience with graphics dates back to CS2 suite, now that I'm on Linux I have to learn how to use new tools but I'm sure they could do the job!

Gimp will open .psd files you'll just have to save it as GIMPs .xcf file after your done working on it. :)

SchildConstruct
12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
It's really just an application of Saderan – a tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8086-Award-Winner-Saderan-%96-a-tutorial), nothing more. So, it's nothing you couldn't do, either. ;)

You can download the PSD file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4294562/tutorial.psd

And, TBH, I've switched to GIMP exclusively, since PS' learning curve is a tad too steep. I suggest getting the Layers Effect plugin for GIMP, though.

Anyway, enjoy. :)

StickGrinder
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, thanks! I'm downloading your file right away, I'll try to open it in GIMP. This afternoon I made some experiment with GIMP following this tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2707-Making-a-continent-in-GIMP) and I've posted my WIP here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12947-My-first-work&p=137984#post137984). Every feedback is welcome! ^_^

And, TBH, I've switched to GIMP exclusively, since PS' learning curve is a tad too steep. I suggest getting the Layers Effect plugin for GIMP, though.

Thanks for this too! I'm already using Layer Effects even if PS Layer Styles are awesome... But freedom in software is much better (to me) than bleeding edge tools! ;-)
I've seen Saderan tutorial and I'm stunned. Will try to port it to GIMP if not already done!

Steel General
12-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Welcome Aboard!

SchildConstruct
12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for this too! I'm already using Layer Effects even if PS Layer Styles are awesome... But freedom in software is much better (to me) than bleeding edge tools! ;-)
Mostly, it's the price tag. A 30 day trial just isn't worth the pain of learning another tool. ;)

Though, I might pick up a bit of Inkscape, since GIMP's text tooling is just plain bad.

I've seen Saderan tutorial and I'm stunned. Will try to port it to GIMP if not already done!
Post 223 in this threat (low 20s, pagewise, IIRC), you'll find that the tutorial has already been ported to GIMP.

tilt
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
welcome to the guild - I'm sure you'll make great maps nomatter the software used :)

StickGrinder
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
:-) Many thanks tilt! Sorry for being away since days, I'm very busy being back to work after Christmas vacation but I'm definitively not idle. I'm planning about experimenting the most I can, than put it all together to create some sort of "porting" of Saderan techniques for GIMP. Since Saderan makes heavy use of PS tools not available to GIMP (such as dynamic layer styles or adjustment layer, and such) instead of simply trying to fake them I think the whole process should be reworked so that GIMP and it's inner mechanics are leveraged to achieve comparable results.
The weak point in pretty all tutorial I've read so far is that they are created over the "Do this, and this, and this!" model, that doesn't require you to really mind what you're doing. You find yourself blindly following instructions, trying to understand what should happen... I think that a more "describing" approach could pay a lot more. Something like "We will emulate real mountains and relieves as they appear on a aerial photo, so let's look at what we want to achieve, THEN let's make an example of how to get things done in GIMP/PS". Single step would be "Since <reason/observation> we need <result> so that <benefit>. We achieve this through <operation(s)>." so that every step is supported by reasoning and everyone could feel comfortable in changing things at his own will.

Maybe I'm wrong and I "think too much" :-) but I'd like to try this structure and see what it brings.
Anycase, I still have to learn a lot! :-P