PDA

View Full Version : Another Test City

ravells
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
My latest playing around...it's quick to do, but the buildings don't look convincing....

Greason Wolfe
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I think the only thing missing for the buildings is a little "separation." They look like a single building rather than a chain of connected buildings. Maybe a little something to show where one building ends and the next begins would help? Kind of like what you did with the city walls, you can almost see how they are sectional. That might give the buildings a little more pop. I'm not really sure, though. I've never had much luck with cities/towns unless I drew them by hand. Other than that, things look fine to me except for a tree that seems to be growing out of the river.

GW

ravells
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Cheers GW....I'll take another look at it later...I think there are a lot of mis-matches in the drawing...cheers re the tree, noticed that there are a few growing out of the middle of the roads as well, but those are easy to rectify so I might leave them until the end.

jtougas
01-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Looks very nice. I can see I have NO business in the city building world.. :)

Greason Wolfe
01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Cheers GW....I'll take another look at it later...I think there are a lot of mis-matches in the drawing...cheers re the tree, noticed that there are a few growing out of the middle of the roads as well, but those are easy to rectify so I might leave them until the end.

Oh, but I like them, makes travel a bit more interesting, doesn't it? Same with the one in the river. Can you just imagine . . . Flash Flood and runaway boats! Mwahahahaha!

jbgibson
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
'Building separation'... you mean like this bit (http://www.gardenhistoryinfo.com/oldlondonmaps/greenwoodpages/greenwoodnorth09a.html) (not)? Main difference with that style is the fronts of buildings facing the streets seem to be mostly a line, with just the 'backs' jaggy. Can your method be tweaked to do that?

ravells
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
So far, most of this city building is automated (I'm just lazy that way), the roads come from the rpg city builder program (they don't look A1, but hey, they're quick), the buildings are created using context free which I just add to a 'vector line style', a bit like an image hose, I then add all the shapes together to get that jaggy feel. That Greenwood map that jb posted is of an ordered 19th Century city, I've always imagined fantasy cities to be more higgledy piggledy (hence the jaggy look), but my jaggy building shapes looks crap as it is.

I've started to draw roof lines on top of the jaggy buildings and I think it helps enormously, it gives that 'separation' that GW mentioned...you can see from the roof lines what the footprint of individual buildings are...the only problem is that they have to be drawn by hand, so you go mad spending hours drawing little lines and get carpal tunnel as an extra bonus, but maybe there's no other way? This took about 20 mins to do...so the whole city will take more than a few hours, but I like the look.

Ascension
01-04-2011, 04:11 PM
The angle of the houses doesn't match the angle of the trees. I think that is what's boggling my eyes. Otherwise, good start.

ravells
01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Bit of a change of direction...

Steel General
01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
I think this is pretty cool stuff you have going on here Ravs!

Adding the roof lines definitely helped.

ravells
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks SG! Drawing the roof lines takes ages, but it's worth it in the end..

FeralBuddy
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Agreed. The roofs look much better now!

ravells
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Cheers, Feral. Minor update.

FeralBuddy
01-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I love the tress btw (I like their edges specifically). How'd you make 'em?

ravells
01-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Cheers, I'm really pleased with them too.

I made them in Bryce (free download) tutorial here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10516-Making-battlemap-scale-trees-and-architectural-trees-using-Bryce-5.5&highlight=bryce+trees)

And then put them as elements in a brush hose, so I just draw a line and the trees draw themselves, with some layer style colour fills and drop shadows etc.

Latest update

Katto
01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I like your style very much. Can't wait for the final map. It will definitely go into my inspirations folder!

ravells
01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
ThanksKatto! Sadly my goldfish like attention span has now got me drawing Frodo's journey to Rivendell, but I will finish this!

Ascension
01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
You better finish this, it looks pretty sweet.

LonewandererD
01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Ditto. Loving the colours, quite vibrant without being too in your face.

-D-

ravells
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks all,

I'm giving Frodo a rest today...here's the next update.

ravells
01-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Gads this is taking ages...next update.

Piscivorous
01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Fantastic City, ravells! Looking through the city I have but one question. Shouldn't West Gate be East Gate?

ravells
01-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Ha Ha! You're quite right!! (I suppose I could be clever and say something like north is pointing down, but no....I got it wrong!) Thanks! Have some rep!

TregMallin
01-13-2011, 08:32 PM
How did you come to label Merchant's Row "bottom to top" while "Repton" is (more or less) Top to Bottom? I don't know if there is a One True Way to label, but for some reason Merchant's Row looked different than the rest.

jtougas
01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Absolutely Awesome !!

Katto
01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey Ravs, wash your goldfish down the sink to progress on this map, please!

ravells
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
lol! Soon promise...I have work this font creation thing out of my system first!

ravells
02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Was a time that on a Saturday night I'd be out painting the town red. Now I'm painting little black roof lines on the town on my pc....lol...how times have changed.

So, I've been given a day pass from the font asylum (having completed most of the upper case) and I wanted to finish this map. So n hundred little rooflines later here is the latest. I think I might put a tented settlement outside the gates because I'm getting really fed up of these little rooflines, (but they have to be done). I really wish I had the staying power of some of the people here.

I've screwed up big time on the roof lines..I should have had different line weights to delineate building divisions and the lines of the actual roofs but I'm not going back and redoing it all.

Katto
02-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Yippiehh, a progress :)

arsheesh
02-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Hm, perhaps my eye for detail is not as attuned as yours Ravs but I don't see a problem with the roof lines. Great city map! Looking forward to seeing the final cut.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

ravells
02-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Phew....nearly there. I'm not sure the border works very well, and I need to do something about all that dead space in the bottom left and finish off the fortress properly. The end's in sight!

Steel General
02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I think the border is fine, it's simple, doesn't draw the eye, and conveys what it needs to.

Ascension
02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Just fill up the dead space with farmland or miscellaneous trees n rocks.

ravells
02-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Cheers Guys, there were a few things bugging me about the map, (hated the red district names) but I think I've sorted them now and it's finished (yay!) Final version posted in the finished maps gallery.

someguy
02-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I hate to say this so late in the game, but I could sack this city so easily. The north is completely exposed as it has no killing grounds.

Were I duke of this city the walls would all have a clear killing ground out to 500 yards filled with growing straw. This would make the approach of infantry slow and hard. The fields would have random pattern 1 ft tall walls and random pitfalls to make the approach of siege engines impossible.

Other wise the map looks nice.