PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Jack Bread
01-05-2011, 11:38 PM
My name is Jack Bread.
I found this place while looking for something to make maps and I've been lurking here since yesterday.
I've been playing DnD and other Pen and Paper games for ~4 years, I think.
My favorite thing to do is to write stories, which is weird, because I am a terrible writer. :(
I drew my first map a year or so before I started playing DnD. It was for a story I wanted to write. (Never did, though. :\ )
I have 4 or 5 maps made along with several on the computer, which were lost, unfortunately, when my computer caught a virus and had to be fixed. :(
Recently, I started to make a campaign for DnD based on Roman culture, because I haven't seen one like that.
The map below is the first map that I mentioned. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm a newbie at Photoshop and GIMP and so I prefer using Pencil and Papers.

jbgibson
01-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the Guild, Jack. Manual Mapping is fine... digital tools get good results, at what might be a tremendous time savings, so by all means give some tutorials a try, and see what you can do. I like your example, though. One doesn't have to produce the equivalent of a professional cartographer's best output, to have fun and detail a setting for your players. I bet player character X hasn't got time to produce a Ravells or Ascension or a2area map - in between training with a crossbow and researching the latest magik, he'd probably draw up just what you have here.

Steel General
01-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Welcome Aboard!

jtougas
01-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Welcome To The Guild !! Don't be afraid to give digital mapping a try we're all here to help :)

tilt
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
hi Jack, welcome to the guild, when you're ready to work on new maps (digital or pen&paper) - post in a WIP (work in progress thread) for help and critique :)

NeonKnight
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Welcome to the Guild!