PDA

View Full Version : Testing... *thmph* *thmph*

OneSeventeen
12-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Uh. Hello. I, uh, already posted in another forum. Guess I'm doing things a bit out of order. Maps are interesting to me and, more importantly, to players. I found a tutorial about using clouds to make random coastlines over at Zombie Nirvana games and someone on another forum pointed me this way when I brought it up. So far, I've had some fun playing with that concept. I hope to pick up some more tricks. I guess I'll also have to plan a game that will let me use the more artistic style of maps that I find fun to make. So, uh... yeah. Hi.

NeonKnight
12-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the group.

Using clouds for coatslines. I haven't thought about that for almost 25 years. I remember many a night/day as my family traveled back and forth across Canada on vacation and looking at the clouds thinking what cool D&D worlds they would make as coastlines.

That deserves some REP for bringing back fond memories.

The Cartographist
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM
117-

Welcome. You've come to a really cool place. Stick around; you might learn something...

Not from me, mind you, but from any number of amazing cartographers who lurk around here.

su_liam
12-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the group.

Using clouds for coatslines. I haven't thought about that for almost 25 years. I remember many a night/day as my family traveled back and forth across Canada on vacation and looking at the clouds thinking what cool D&D worlds they would make as coastlines.

That deserves some REP for bringing back fond memories.

Okay! That does it! I'm taking my camera outside and collecting some heightfields.

pyrandon
12-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi, 117. Glad to have you. Welcome!

Hahaha on the clouds for coastlines bit from the others. 117 means PS's clouds filter as the basis for random coastlines. But then, you knew that, right? ;)

NeonKnight
12-15-2007, 01:52 PM

Hahaha on the clouds for coastlines bit from the others. 117 means PS's clouds filter as the basis for random coastlines. But then, you knew that, right? ;)

Sure, but when I was 15, there was the APPLE IIe and that was about it for home PCs. Didn't stop me from looking to the clouds for inspiration ;)

su_liam
12-17-2007, 03:16 AM

You think I'm kiddin' huh? Well I did actually go out and snap a couple of shots of the sky over beautiful Eugene, Oregon. The autofocus didn't capture the detailed tendrils, but it was still a medium decent shot. I stuck it in photoshop, reduced it to grayscale, healing-brushed out some bad pixels, and used a small gaussian blur to kill some graininess(the light sucked, and I didn't want to do a 3 second exposure freehand), and used levels to get the full gamut. Other than that, I didn't really modify it significantly before I sucked it into Bryce for this overhead shot.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3449/terranebulala5.jpg

Looks promising to me. Even in this day of sophisticated computers and noise algorithms, the sky is still the limit. (You may groan at that.)

pyrandon
12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Bwahahahaha--that's awesome, su_liam!!

NeonKnight
12-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Good Job Su-Liam. Have some rep!

su_liam
12-17-2007, 07:03 PM
First, I'd like to thank the Academy(Neon Knight) both for this recognition and for the original idea. Y'all ROCK dude!

Secondly, props to 117 for his part in the idea as well as for introducing me to Zombie Nirvana with it's Fantasy Cartography podcast. Gotta learn something from that. Here you go...

That ends this thread hijack.

Welcome to the board 117. How did you find this place?

OneSeventeen
12-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the board 117. How did you find this place?
Thanks for the welcome. This thread (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=33968) tells the story (briefly) of how I found this place. Which is to say, someone referred me here from the GURPS forums.

su_liam
12-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey, cool! I'm on GURPS too(as in, "This is your brain. This is your brain on GURPS."). Under the same name. I may have to introduce myself soon. :)

pyrandon
12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
GURPS rocks! :)

RPMiller
12-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Indeed it does... :D

pyrandon
12-18-2007, 07:56 PM
(Just checked that link: Naryt who refered you here is an awesome guy--and he's a founding member in my GURPS campaign ;) . Sweet plug over there, Naryt--thanks!)

Naryt
12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
(Just checked that link: Naryt who refered you here is an awesome guy--and he's a founding member in my GURPS campaign ;) . Sweet plug over there, Naryt--thanks!)

"Awesome guy," clearly you've confused me with someone else. ;)

117, good to see you here (I've been lying low for a couple of weeks). I just realized that 117 is my extension at work...cue Twilight Zone Music.

OneSeventeen
12-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, Naryt. My location is a lie. I'm actually a digital intelligence born of the internet... and I've taken up residence in your phone for the time being. Needless to say, I'm not very bright. ;)

Naryt
12-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, Naryt. My location is a lie. I'm actually a digital intelligence born of the internet... and I've taken up residence in your phone for the time being. Needless to say, I'm not very bright. ;)

Ah ha! That explains everything, I'll be sure to bring a hammer to work with me. ;)

Arcana
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
After having played halo 2 and 3 to completion...and I'm just now going back and playing halo 1 and I've made it to the part where I'm trying to get the index from guilty spark (after the flood is released)...AND just yesterday I finished reading the Fall of Reach (prequel to halo1) (yes, I know I'm doing it ALL out of order)...I just realized where you probably got your name from.

John. Spartan 117...the lucky one. Right? Your real name isn't john is it?

OneSeventeen
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
No. My real name's Ben. But it is a Halo reference. I should've picked 116 or something, to be different (all variations of 117 were taken on Xbox Live by the time I signed up), but I've done enough things as 117 that I'm sort of stuck with it. ;)

Arcana
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm thinking about making a "map" of a halo ring...but making it pre-technology (which would just be a ring world of course) but maybe throwing some "forerunner" technology in that no one alive understands.

my calculations would be a map that is 19520.9517 miles long by 310.685596 miles wide. But thats enough of my thread jacking. Who are ya on x-box live? I'm EvilArcana...add me.

OneSeventeen
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Ended up having to go with Walrus Noctis (Walrus of the Night, yes?). I'll send an invite in a second, now.

mmmmmpig
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
"Walrus Noctis"

I believe that is poetry

Arcana
01-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Well, since I STILL haven't acknowledged your friend request you can at least attest to the fact that my xbox isn't pulling me away from the site ;) I'll probably get to it late this evening :D