PDA

View Full Version : January 11 entry: To Rivendell!

ravells
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm not even sure if this is a map, but what the hey, this is the start of my entry (which will probably never get finished).

jtougas
01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh boy...this is going to be good.. :)

tilt
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
definitly a map - and looking good indeed. Once again you map tolkien in a new and exiting way - cool :)

geamon
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
There should be no Brandywine portion, seeing as the Buckleberry Ferry was created to cross the Brandywine. Also it seems as if you are basing it off the motion picture. If so that changes the time line and locations you are following. Just something to be mindful.

Jaxilon
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Nice, I love the silhouettes.

ravells
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks all, I got the inspiration when I made jtougas's 'welcome to the asylum picture' . I'm honoured that jt has made it his avatar, lol!

geamon, this is all from the book, not the film. But you're quite right, I had thought that the hobbits had crossed the Brandywine twice. Just out of Hobbiton: ' A mile or two further south they hastily crossed the great road from the Brandywine Bridge'. But reading it again, and looking at the map, they cross the road, not the bridge (which is much further on), so I'll need to amend that, thanks!

Little update.

jtougas
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Well of course I used it as my avatar. It's like my own little badge..(is it time for the cookies and the lesson on roofing yet?..)*drools* ;)

RecklessEnthusiasm
01-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Ravells, this is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you'e going to do with it! I anticipate beautiful painterly-effect skies and soft glowing light effects... I wonder if you could do something like color the sky in vertical, alternating layers to show the number of days and night passing in each place...

Anyway, this is gorgeous. Keep up the good work!

ravells
01-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks RE, I did try a day/night background layer but ended up switching it off as I wasn't happy with it....I'd like to keep it in pure black and white (I used grey for the sky), which means a lot of reversing black outlines into white outlines where the sky is black...I'll keep fiddling with it though.

Steel General
01-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Neat idea Ravs, hope you are able to finish it.

ravells
01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Cheers SG! Small update - I'm playing with some ideas. Do you think the quotations work? Also saving these as pdfs as they will be easier to read.

JackOfHearts
01-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Three thumbs up for this!

ravells
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Jack!

Do you think it works better in Colour? Or should I stick to black and white?

Ascension
01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I think the gradient can really add some extra mood so I'd keep it; maybe play with the colors if you want to but I think it's fine.

moutarde
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
The gradient looks good, really works well with the black silhouettes. Like Ascension said, it gives it some mood :)

Gidde
01-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I like the color. And the midgewater marshes look awesome. Can't wait to see the rest :)

tilt
01-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I like the gradient too, as long as the drawings stay black :) ... the windows in Took Hill - shouldn't they be round? :)

ravells
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Cool, thanks. When I look at something for too long, I really don't have a clue. I read a really good quotation, can't remember where I read it. But it said you have to be three things: You have to be able to have the imagination to conceive of doing the job, you have to have the technical skills to do it and you have to be able to step back and check whether it actually works or doesn't. The great thing about the guild is that you get number 3 for free!!

I'll have to check the Took Hill, round windows...always thought it was Hobbits rather than Tooks that went for the round window thing...just an assumption on my part.

Cheers again, guys!

tilt
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
well, I'm definetly not sure about the window shape - BUT, if they are more square than round, I'd still round the corners a litte to show they are imbedded into the hill - right now they look very plastered on - because of the sharp angels in the soft hill :)

ravells
01-08-2011, 05:05 PM
That, my friend Tilt, is a top idea! Hobbits (and Tooks) suggest round comfortable corners - Done!

RobA
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Holly hoot! Did that correctly thumbnail the pdf? I disabled the "fancy new" uploader by default to see if that would improve things for people...

-Rob A>

PS Nice job btw - I gotta get back into one of these challenges...

geamon
01-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Also for accuracy it isn't Took Hill, but actually Brandy Hall in Buck Land. "Took Hill" is south of Hobbiton and goes by the name of Tuckborough and/or The Great Smials, you may want to amend that small error. As for criticism on the visuals I can see an apparent line following along the base of the toporaphy where the grass texture and objects were worked up from. It would also be nice if all the base of trees blend into the ground rather then having defined bases. If you could clean that up it would help. As well the Brandy Hall has round windows as Tilt did say. Additionally with the level of detail I find some of the figures have I wish there was a way to add the same level details to the clouds around the Barrow Downs and the Brandywine. Also some of the figures are lack luster in compared to each other, I.E. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. If you are looking for visual inspiration as well as the description within the novels. The Lord of the Rings has a MMORPG that is more true to the book then the movies and these characters as well as others are portrayed therein. I'm routing for you Rav's this month, I love Tolkien and what you are doing therefore wanna help you out as you go along. :P Only real negative thing I have to say I'm impartial to a version with quotes, but thats more of a personal preference. I'll keep popping in and out and try and make sure its accurate if you would like. Keep it up and hope you have the stamina.

Edit: Here's the two characters I referred to.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ScreenShot00151.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/OldTomBombadil/LOTRO/OldForest_Goldberry01b.jpg

JackOfHearts
01-09-2011, 03:00 AM
I thought I was going to like the black and white better, but the color background is nice. I am currently trying to figure out how I can get your final product printed and framed somewhere shomehow =]

ravells
01-09-2011, 07:58 AM
@ RobA - I wondered why the uploader interface had changed, it's always been pretty good at handling .pdfs and thumbnailing them. The only thing I don't like about the new thumbnailer interface is that there is no progress bar.

@ Geamon - Brandy Hall, thanks for spotting! Oddly enough I named the layer 'Buck Hill', don't where the Took Hill came from (it was probably late and I was probably tired). The windows are indeed round: '..through the stray shrouds of mist , shone many round windows, yellow and red. They were the windows of Brandy Hall' - so it looks like I need some red windows in there too. There is a lot of cleaning up to be done with some horrible white matting in places, but I'll save that when I've got the main concept done, but please keep pointing out what needs looking at in case I miss anything. I'm not sure about the quotes either....I'll keep playing around with it. I still feel that the whole work is lacking something, but I can't put my finger on it. At the moment I'm just trying to get the general concept down and then I'll go back over it, clean up and improve. I'm not really happy with the old forest. All input gratefully received!

@jackofHearts: I'd better make it as good as I can then!

Latest Update

### Latest WIP ###