PDA

View Full Version : January Entry:Heroes' Path

JDCt
01-06-2011, 06:53 PM
This will be my first time entering a challenge and I decided to do a combination of traditional and digital. So I had a bit of time today and took it to tint and burn some paper. I have an old fountain pen and ink, so that is where I am going to start! I have a story in mind that will be driving the idea behind this map. I know only the map is being judged but I am certainly going to have fun with it anyway and collect what brownie points I can! ;P

### LATEST WIP ###

JDCt
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I ended up finishing work early today which was great and gave me time to get out the pen and ink. I decided to do some work on my campaign world and this challenge by fleshing out another country. Two birds with one stone! :) So here is what I have thus far... I also realized that working with ink without something else to go off of is a bit of a silly idea so I am stopping here and calling this portion done. Plus I want to keep a few sheets of stained paper around for later use. :P I am going to photoshop in the paths next and then write out the story to accompany this.

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-07-2011, 10:58 PM
So how did you tint and burn the paper, it looks great. You should consider digitizing a sheet of it for use as a background down the road.

JDCt
01-08-2011, 12:12 PM
It took me a bit of time to get it right. I had tried tea, but that didn't work very well. So what did work was a bit of water in a cookie sheet with green and red food coloring for the brown tint. I just let it sit for a while then let it dry. As for the burns, I just lit a candle and burnt the paper. I will post some extra pics if people want to use it for a parchment texture.

JDCt
01-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Classes... They keep me busy! But on a really cool note, I am taking an information design class and one of the books we have to purchase is on maps and how information is organized. Quite relavant, so once I give it a read through, I will post about it here. There is also an assignment where we have to map out our kitchen and label (on a hidden layer) where everything goes. The we get other peoples maps and place the same labels where we think those items go. See who has the most intuitive kitchen :P

Needless to say, all these things are keeping rather busy. But I did squeeze in a bit of time to continue my map. Here is the progress thus far! I added the paths, a bit of color and to the side will be the story/ballad or some such thing that describes the path start and end.

### LATEST WIP ###

JDCt
01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I will be pulling out of the challenge, work loads in my classes have become to heavy, and I have taken on a rather large project. Unless people want to vote for what I have, I am pretty sure I will not win :P Hopefully I can enter another challenge in a few months when I have time over the summer.

Gidde
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
That's a bummer, it's always a shame when our have-to-do's crowd out our want-to-do's :( Good luck with your classes and hope to see more work from you when you have more time!

Jaxilon
01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Yep, we will see you on another day. I was just looking at this today and thinking, 'He might be onto something here.' Sorry you had to bail but it's understandable. Keep up the good work and don't be a stranger :)