PDA

View Full Version : ~Tiineria~ [First Map]

del337er
01-08-2011, 12:27 AM
My first submission to the Guild, this is a Map of a world featured in the game Gowang Adventures. Still have to add names to cities, mountain ranges, oceans, ect.

-Made completely in Photoshop CS5
-Total project time 17 hours, including conception.

A political map, featuring the regions of the world is coming soon, as well as a geographic and political map of the second world, Renixo.

[Edit] Wow I just realized I misspelled the thread title. If anyone could fix that I would really appreciate it.

Geographic Version 1

http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/80x15.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/) ~Unless otherwise stated by me, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/)

Larb
01-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I hate rating things truth be told, but it is a really really nice map. Great colours and a nice style. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Gidde
01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Nice use of Tear's tut there, looking forward to seeing it with the labels etc. on it. Great job so far on your first map :)

del337er
01-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I hate rating things truth be told, but it is a really really nice map. Great colours and a nice style. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Ohh ok, I guess ill cut out the Poll on my next map. Thanks for the kind words, an update should be coming soon.

Nice use of Tear's tut there, looking forward to seeing it with the labels etc. on it. Great job so far on your first map :)

Thanks very much, hopefully once I get better at this I can develop my own unique style, so as to stray from other peoples tuts.

Gidde
01-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks very much, hopefully once I get better at this I can develop my own unique style, so as to stray from other peoples tuts.

The tuts are a great starting point, no criticism intended there. Try a few of them out, each gives some great insight into how to achieve different effects with the software.

del337er
01-08-2011, 06:04 PM
The tuts are a great starting point, no criticism intended there. Try a few of them out, each gives some great insight into how to achieve different effects with the software.

Haha yes they are, your Hand Drawn tut was a big help. I'm still a bit better digitally than with pencil haha.

Gidde
01-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Hahaha ... I just discovered during my forced hiatus from the computer that I probably ALWAYS will be better digitally than with a pencil. You should see the crap I tried to draw ;)

jtougas
01-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Very Nice !! :)

del337er
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Hahaha ... I just discovered during my forced hiatus from the computer that I probably ALWAYS will be better digitally than with a pencil. You should see the crap I tried to draw ;)

Haha oh no, I can't draw worth crap on paper, but I can enough to trace and touchup in PS, I guess thats all I need lol.

Very Nice !! :)

Thanks alot

FeralBuddy
01-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Looks great, Del! I like the grid.
They only thing that I saw was the compass would look better if the lines were lined up with the grid, and the compass lined up with the lines.
Otherwise, great! I can't wait to see the labels and how you split up the land.

del337er
01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Looks great, Del! I like the grid.
They only thing that I saw was the compass would look better if the lines were lined up with the grid, and the compass lined up with the lines.
Otherwise, great! I can't wait to see the labels and how you split up the land.

Ahh good idea, ill fix that in the update, thanks!

del337er
01-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Here is my first attempt at the political version of this map. I still have to do some cleaning up around the edges, and add the labels and stuff.

Gidde
01-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Looking good so far, I like the color scheme.

del337er
01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Looking good so far, I like the color scheme.

Thanks man, i'm working on coming up with names for all the labels, then ill darken the piece, its looking a bit bright.

Hai-Etlik
01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
It looks pretty, but there are some technical problems for want of a better word.

Based on the graticule (the grid), the map is in Normal Equidistant Cylindrical Projection which means that:

The map should not extend pas 90 N or 90 S.

The higher latitudes should be stretched out horizontally producing an noticeable distortion.

A compass rose is inappropriate for this projection, and rhumb lines (the lines you have passing through the compass) would be curved, not strait.

I think what you want is to switch the Equidistant graticule for a Mercator one without changing the rest of the map. That would solve compass/rhumb line problem and mitigate the distortion problem. Or you could drop the graticule altogether and just have the rhumb lines.

del337er
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
It looks pretty, but there are some technical problems for want of a better word.

Based on the graticule (the grid), the map is in Normal Equidistant Cylindrical Projection which means that:

The map should not extend pas 90 N or 90 S.

The higher latitudes should be stretched out horizontally producing an noticeable distortion.

A compass rose is inappropriate for this projection, and rhumb lines (the lines you have passing through the compass) would be curved, not strait.

I think what you want is to switch the Equidistant graticule for a Mercator one without changing the rest of the map. That would solve compass/rhumb line problem and mitigate the distortion problem. Or you could drop the graticule altogether and just have the rhumb lines.

Thank you very much for the information, I wasn't aware that was how the graticule worked, or that the rhumb lines even had a purpose. I will amend the graticule from the next update, I was just basing it off of many similar maps made using Tear's tutorial. I'm guessing the longitude/latitude numbers should be removed as well?

Gidde
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm guessing the longitude/latitude numbers should be removed as well?

Yep, they should, they're what indicate it's in equidistant projection. And thanks to Hai-Etlik, you put perfectly what I was having trouble putting into constructive words so hadn't said.

Del, if you get curious about rhumb lines there's a fantastic thread from a few months back that goes into them in detail -- what they are, why they're useful, why Mercator's the only projection they work for. Here's a link to it (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11100-rhumb-line-placement&highlight=rhumb+lines).

del337er
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Yep, they should, they're what indicate it's in equidistant projection. And thanks to Hai-Etlik, you put perfectly what I was having trouble putting into constructive words so hadn't said.

Del, if you get curious about rhumb lines there's a fantastic thread from a few months back that goes into them in detail -- what they are, why they're useful, why Mercator's the only projection they work for. Here's a link to it (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11100-rhumb-line-placement&highlight=rhumb+lines).

Ahh, perfect. Thanks a lot to both of you!

Hai-Etlik
01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm guessing the longitude/latitude numbers should be removed as well?

If you put in a Mercator graticule, you should move the numbers to match it. If you go with no graticule, then you shouldn't have the numbers.

del337er
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
If you put in a Mercator graticule, you should move the numbers to match it. If you go with no graticule, then you shouldn't have the numbers.

I believe I'm just going to leave it without a graticule, I'll do a bit of research before my next map project, and make sure I get all this right. Thanks again for the info.

Hai-Etlik
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I'll do a bit of research before my next map project, and make sure I get all this right. Thanks again for the info.

Actually I'm working on an introduction to basic cartography theory for fantasy map makers. I'm just beginning it, and got a bit distracted playing with BibLaTeX but I'll try to remember to PM you when it's done.

del337er
01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Actually I'm working on an introduction to basic cartography theory for fantasy map makers. I'm just beginning it, and got a bit distracted playing with BibLaTeX but I'll try to remember to PM you when it's done.

Ahh that would be great, in fact if you need some help proofreading, or getting it all looking nice, i'd love to help you out.

del337er
01-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Haven't had a lot of time on my hands lately, but I edited the colors and lightning of both maps, and I added some cities/capitals to the political map.

EDIT: Ahh I forgot to fix the grid, i'll amend that in the next update.

Geographic Version 2

Political Version 2

Gidde
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Subtle changes, but I like em. Keep up the good work :)

del337er
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Finally got around to adding the labels, as well as changing a few things that were bothering me. Unfortunately, the client this commission is for wanted to keep the grid and the compass lines. Though I did remove the longitude/latitude numbers. Both I and the client are very please with the end result, this is Final.

I'm not sure, do I request someone to move this thread to the Finished Maps section? Or do I create a new thread?

Geographic Version 3 (Final)

Political Version 3 (Final)

Gidde
01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Just start a new thread in the Finished Maps section of the forums, and post a link to this thread in case folks want to see the WIP thread. :) Grats on the finish!

del337er
01-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Ahh alright, and thanks again for your help, its easy to ignore the newbies.