PDA

View Full Version : here it goes

mmmmmpig
12-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Where to start?.....

My father was a simple man of simple means... okay that is too far back.

I started out in college as a studio art major, but in order to keep my scholarship I needed to find a major that was much less subjective. For some unknown reason, I decided on mathematics. I took a cartography course in my Junior year of college. It was like coming home. It was comfortable. It was warm. It made me happy. It was the perfect blend of the aesthetic of art and the analytic of math.

This class was the last class to be taught with any traditional cartography. My first map was a map of Ohio using flexible curves, and Leroy lettering sets. After that map was done, the professor let us use Adobe Illustrator. I got my minor in cartography and went on to get a masters degree in Analytical Cartography/Spatial Analysis Methods/Geographic Information Systems. Since I got the masters I have ben working at an engineering architecture in transportation planning. I have made a boatload of maps for public involvement purposes and government NEPA documents. The stuff I do on a daily basis can vary from an intersection map that is 2 x 2 inches, or a city map that is 72 x 44in.

Lately, I have found that drawing where new roads might be in 2035 is not as exciting as it used to be. I figured out that I have been stagnating in my current job, and it is not nuturing my creative side in the least. The people I am working with are not really that innovative, so basically what I have been doing for the past 3 years is what I see me doing for the next 3 years. No movement and no growth. Therefore I have slowly been regaining my artistic chops, only this time in a digital medium. I am trying to get some graphic design stuff done, some more artistic stuff done, and now I am looking to blend together that whole art and science thing.

That is why a I am here. Now if I could only learn to be more succinct.

The Cartographist
12-18-2007, 04:49 AM
mmmmmpig,
FEW statements could be more succinct than "Something witty and pithy". As far as your introduction, succinct is NOT the order of the day, as if you are too succinct, we don't get to know you.

Reading your background and understanding your feelings of stagnation, you have definitely come to the right place.

I think I might have done it before, but if not, WELCOME.

~ Some call me Tim.

Midgardsormr
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Well, that explains the tremendous quality of your very first post. Welcome! I'm looking forward to learning lots. I doubt I have anything to teach, but one never knows.

NeonKnight
12-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Again Welcome to the group!

RobA
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey mmmmmpig, glad you found the time and was inclined to introduce yourself.

Welcome to the guild. Hopefully, you will find a little bit of what you are looking for here!

-Rob A>

RPMiller
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I'll echo the words of those above as my way of saying welcome. It sounds like you have some great skills that you'll be able to bring to the fore as well, and be able to help those of us less skilled than thou. ;)

Again, welcome to the Guild.

mmmmmpig
12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks all for the very pleasant welcome.

Cartographist: succinct is okay with that whole "brevity is the soul of wit" thing.

Midgardsormr: everyone has something to teach, I am already in awe of your Middle Earth knowledge

Neonknight: Thanks.

RobA: It was late and I was bored, might as well write a short autobiography

RPMiller: I would not presume to say that anyone here is more or less skilled. Their focus may be different than mine or yours, but I cannot judge one's skill. That being said, since I have a background in studio art, my critiques can sometimes be harsh (studio art instructors as well as graphic design instructors are not know for gentleness, I sadly learned from them), so I will lay low for a bit to see the lay of the land as far as acceptable comments and crits. I don't want to go all gorillacrit on someone and alienate people.

pyrandon
12-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Welcome, mmmmmpig, welcome. I thought your intro was great--and I feel like I now know the guy hiding behind the red rock. :) (I do wish you'd explain your name, though!)

After being on the receiving end of your first critique I'm thinking you have no grounds for apologizing for harsh critiques--unless by "harsh" you meant honest, insightful, and pleasantly worded. If that latter's correct, harsh away, my friend!

So, what do you hope to gain here that will revitalize your love of maps? Are you thinking artistic, fantastic maps juts for the enjoyment? Or just being in a comminity of serious balls of goof like us? ;)

Regradless, I'm glad you're here. (Especially after quoting Hamlet!)

RPMiller
12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
RPMiller: I would not presume to say that anyone here is more or less skilled. Their focus may be different than mine or yours, but I cannot judge one's skill. That being said, since I have a background in studio art, my critiques can sometimes be harsh (studio art instructors as well as graphic design instructors are not know for gentleness, I sadly learned from them), so I will lay low for a bit to see the lay of the land as far as acceptable comments and crits. I don't want to go all gorillacrit on someone and alienate people.

I was speaking of my own lack of talent compared to yours. :D I try hard to not speak for others. As for honest and useful critiques, I think you'll find them in every WIP thread. I have yet to see an unhelpful or harsh criticism, and sometimes I've worried that I may have gone too far, but I remain honest and hope that in so doing I'm being helpful. :)

I feel like I now know the guy hiding behind the red rock.

I think that is a ham actually. ;)

mmmmmpig
12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Pyradon: it is indeed a ham. With cloves. Because it is tasty. mmmmm pig....

anyway, I was eating a ham sandwich one day when coming up with a log-in name. It was a kind of serendipitous moment.

The critique of your sea map was not harsh because I like the direction it could go. The harshness comes out when things need a bunch of rework. Basically it becomes less pleasantly worded. I don't attack the individual, but I am not kind to bad work.

As for what I hope to gain here? Yes, yes, and yes. I am trying to re-kindle a love of the line that I have kind of lost. I am really quite burned out on transportation maps. Bleck! To start with I want to get moving on more artistic maps and maybe start to transition into more gaming system specific maps. Hopefully (and this is a pipe dream hope) I can get some commission stuff going and get some jack on the side for my endeavors. As for the idea of a community of map geeks, I am soooo alll over that.

RPMiller: I must have worded things awkwardly. What I was getting at is that I wouldn’t consider my skills to be any better or any worse than anyone else’s out here. I may have different experiences or different exposure, but there have not been any maps that I have seen here so far that I have felt were not at least competent, if not great. So far, all I have seen has been skilled.

RPMiller
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
So far, all I have seen has been skilled.

That's because I haven't posted much. ;)

pyrandon
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Ahhhh....pig--ham--gotcha! ;)

I think honest criticism will be appreciated by all. In fact, I've found most people--especially those who take their work seriously--get more upset when others just pat them on the head and say "goooood map, niiiiice map" than when they receive hoenst criticism. As long as, of course, that criticism is ever kind and friendly and heart-full, encouraging to even the worst map known to man. (I know what you mean about that harsh criticism: I was in many a creative writing rip session. Not nice, not acceptable here at the Guild at all in the least no way no how never. ;) )

mmmmmpig
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
RPMiller: Then post something that I can Crit :P

Pyrandon: As long as people's criticism is about the work and not the person doing the work, I don't mind. The second it crosses that line, it is unacceptable. It is true that these boards can become a bit too "Great Job!" and "I love Blue!." One of the comic book boards I go to is just plain acerbic, but the critiques they give are spot on. Another board I go to is a little more fluffy.

If you want to rip on my digital art, please feel free to go to my deviant art site

mmmmmpig.devianntart.com (http://mmmmmpig.deviantart.com)

RPMiller
12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
I've posted a couple things here and there. I believe they are mostly unfinished, but you'll need to search for them. ;) :D

We discussed deviant art before. They fall into the lack of honesty group. I've seen some really bad stuff there that was getting kudos from people and there wasn't a single suggestion on how to improve it when it obviously needed quite a lot of work.

RPMiller
12-19-2007, 01:31 PM
You get major points right out of the gate for having both super heroes and Ookla the Mok in your gallery! :D I especially liked the Cap For Fun. Good stuff!

pyrandon
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Both your work on Deviant Art and your favorites therein really made me happy. Ex: I never knew anyone even remembers Ultraman! Oh man--I used to LOVE that show! Now we just need to bring back Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot!

Great fun!

mmmmmpig
12-21-2007, 04:29 PM
RPMiller:
Deviant Art is merely a site for displaying finished work. There is no C&C going on there to sepak of, other than vague kudos. It is a nice place to warehouse digital stuff though.

Now that you have a tablet, you will be posting maps, yes? I am not good a digging through forums to find ancient posts, so I will wait until you post something new before I murderize it.>:)

Pyradon:
Thanks for the props on being old. Many good memories of visiting my grandparents in Fla and watching some Ultraman on one of the Saturday morning kids hours down there. Guys in rubber suits throwing each other around in model cities is one of the best types of fun that is out there.

One of these days I will post another map of some kind.

mmmmmpig
12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season regardless of what is being celebrated.

pyrandon
12-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Merry Christmas to you, too, m5pig!

PS: Thanks to you I wasted an amazingly enjoyable hour today on youtube. There are a LOT of Ultraman videos! I seriously have not seen the theme song/credits since 1975, I'll bet. Thank you!!!!!

ravells
12-31-2007, 06:13 AM
And a happy new year! Welcome to the boards, M5pig! It would be interesting to see fantasy maps created with the software you use at work.

mmmmmpig
06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Don't call it a comeback! I been here for years, rocking my... wait, those aren't my words....

I am in the process of rediscovery who I am and what makes me tick and part of what makes me tick is fantasy/sci-fi mapping and illustration. I have some work to update with and some other stuff to tell about, and tales beyond tales.

Thanks to Torstan for a timely email. Hopefully this evening when the kiddies are abed, I can update you with tales of woe and minimal trriumph and also show you a map I am having published in a novel. oooooh sexay!

cheers folks!

--mmmmmpig

Redrobes
06-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Ruddy-ell this is some thread necromancy. How the devil are you m^5-pig ? We've all missed those great pieces of work. Im all ears for tales of woe and tr^2iumph !

Oh just 167 rep - that wont last long if your sticking around ! Were all clubbing each other with mighty repping sticks of the magi now.

torstan
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Welcome back! After trawling the archives we may well see some familiar faces around here we haven't seen for a while :)

Steel General
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Good to see you active again!

Ascension
06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Miss your high-quality work, man, so let's hope you get some time back to make some more wonderful stuff for us to gape at.

Immolate
06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
As keeper of the Challenge section of the guild's 13th depository, I have to say that's a name I recognize! Everything old is new again. Welcome back and let's hope you stay a while.

Midgardsormr
06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Welcome back! Good to hear from you again.

Gamerprinter
06-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Mmmmmpig, who? J/K - long time no see, I guess you got word on Torstan's secret project in NYC... welcome back!

GP

mmmmmpig
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes and kind words. In answer to one of the questions posed, yes, I did indeed get an email from Torstan. It was a tasty email indeed.

So what has the pig been up to in the past few months to a year? Well, that is an interesting question. As many of you know I lost my job in January of 2009. My job was as a mapping professional in the transportation planning "industry." Anyhoo... much angst and gnashing of teeth and a year later I landing a gig at a non-profit organization centered around feeding hungry people here in the States. That place turned out to be one of the rings of Hell and the environment there was burning my soul at an alarming rate. I started in February and was let go in May. They ended up firing me for being on the Internet too much when they didn't give me anything to do.

Fast forward one month and it is Origins 2010 and I am walking though the "art room" and thinking, you know.... I could seriously be doing this as a potential vocation. Some of the people in the room really weren't that great. I also noted a complete lack of mapping on the walls of the art area. What the hell is fantasy art without mapping? Nothing, that is what it is. Anyhoo... I am now starting to get my tattered pieces of the shell of a life back together I am looking to get some art into my life. A strong portion of that art of that art is going to be mapping. Get ready folks, I am about to start hitting for the fences!

DevinNight
06-29-2010, 10:52 PM
good to see you back around, maybe we'll find time for another trip to the Cheesecake Factory.

mmmmmpig
06-29-2010, 11:06 PM
I am always up for some cheesecake... although I have had to cut back. I hiked 8.4 miles today at Highbanks as part of the "gotta change this crap" regime

NeonKnight
06-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Welcome back Mmmmmmmmmmmpig

Immolate
07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
My advise is just never say the words "It can't get any worse" out loud. The Narns have a way of correcting factual errors like that by example. Times are tough, but if you persevere, you will triumph.

mmmmmpig
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Immolate, I never utter those words because, even though I do not necessarily believe in fate, I try not to tempt it.

NeonKnight: I am planning on staying for a while this time around

mmmmmpig
05-27-2011, 02:22 PM
just thought I would let everyone know that DevonKnight and I have started up a "studio" for cartography at 9th Point Studio. (http://9thpointstudio.com/) It makes sense for us, since we are both in the Columbus, Ohio area and have actually met a few times in meatspace. so, take a look at the site, and give me a "like" on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/9th-Point-Studio/122969991117611) and follow the studio on the Twitters at @9thPoint (http://twitter.com/#!/9thPoint)

RjBeals
05-27-2011, 03:31 PM
congrats! I wish i could work with you

Ascension
05-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Way to go, guys. Good luck. :)

Djekspek
05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
congratz guys! cheers, DJ

jtougas
05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Followed followed and liked. :) Congrats !!

torstan
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Very cool! Nice site too.

mmmmmpig
05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks all! Love the follows on the Twitters, I will be adding things to the blog on the website, so check back occassionally, also if you want to follow my non-cart tweets, I am mmmmmpig on the twitters

tilt
05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
congrats on the website.... a small comment to a nice looking site is that the road to look at the maps is a little long. When one clicks the thumb, one would imagine it enlarging - instead we get guide on to the next page. Then I have to select the artist (which I just did by clicking on the pic on the frontpage) and then I have to click the thumb again - so 3 clicks to actually watch your work - thats too long a road (I think I need a map *lol*) :)

mmmmmpig
05-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Tilt, great comments. It is a bit cumbersome at the moment. The site us still under development, and I am intending to link those thumbnails to their parent images. I just had to get this published

tilt
05-29-2011, 04:26 AM
yep.. know that feeling :) ... and it looks great :)

Redrobes
05-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Wow - big guns ! I hope that you get some cool commissions. Keep posting your news and updates tho wont ya cos I am neither on FB or twitter.

Steel General
05-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Congratz! ...and the website is nicely done.

mmmmmpig
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks gents!

ravells
06-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Congrats! Good looking website too!!

mmmmmpig
06-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks Ravells.

is there a thread here where everyone has their twitter handle? I would love to follow some of you jokers on the twitters

tilt
06-05-2011, 02:59 PM
no, no common thread for twitter and/or facebook - I made a thread once http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11053-Who-are-you-gals-guys-anyway&highlight=guys where people could introduce themselves :)