jtougas
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
This is a commission for Rossik of the Sea Troll Tavern

Layout

Floors

rossik
01-18-2011, 04:53 PM
thats great!
question: how will they have acess to the stairs and the bathroom?

jtougas
01-18-2011, 09:01 PM
thats great!
question: how will they have acess to the stairs and the bathroom?

I'll put in the doors to each room after the floors are done

rossik
01-19-2011, 08:33 AM
i was wondering, maybe the space for the great room could be a little larger, and the rooms and bathroom smaller?
i dont know yet about size, but the bathroom is just a "poop hole", i believe

edit: one more thing:maybe the door could be at "south position", and another door at the store room (north position) so food can be delivered by the back door :D

jtougas
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I'll make those changes :)

jtougas
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I made the great room larger by making the kitchen a bit smaller. I found that I needed more space for the spiral staircase to the second fllor than I originally planned for.

jtougas
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Started dressing up the great room. It seats about 14 people now.

jtougas
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Finished up the first floor. I made the owner and his daughter's room fairly nice (to show that they have the money :) ) while making the serving girls room very plain. The bog is functional if not very fancy as per your request. If you would like to make any changes please let me know. I will begin the second floor and the basement tonight. :)

Gidde
01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
This is looking great, jt!

jtougas
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
This is looking great, jt!

Thank You :)

Ascension
01-20-2011, 10:27 PM
The problem with using pre-made elements is that the shadows always get messed up. I rarely do these types of maps because I know that I'd rely too heavily upon those pre-made things with set shadowing...can't rotate them so that makes them pretty useless. Why does everyone upload these images with shadows knowing that they can't be rotated? What about other lighting effects on an object? Pretty dumb, shrug. So you have 4 options: 1) make your own objects without shadows; 2) use the objects as is without rotating them; 3) go through and erase the shadows and put your own in; 4) find objects to use that don't have any shadows on them. All of them involve a lot of tedious work.

But, if you don't factor in the shadows it looks pretty nice. :) One suggestion...with such a modest inn/pub that master bedroom is kinda large what with having a sitting area. You want customers so you'd want more tables n chairs. So I'd scrap that family room area, move the bedroom in there. Scrap that small room for rent and the head (use an outhouse) and now you have a lot more floorspace. Last, push the stairs up against a wall, possibly outside. But I think too much, shrug. Your pub do what you like. :)

jtougas
01-20-2011, 11:04 PM
The problem with using pre-made elements is that the shadows always get messed up. I rarely do these types of maps because I know that I'd rely too heavily upon those pre-made things with set shadowing...can't rotate them so that makes them pretty useless. Why does everyone upload these images with shadows knowing that they can't be rotated? What about other lighting effects on an object? Pretty dumb, shrug. So you have 4 options: 1) make your own objects without shadows; 2) use the objects as is without rotating them; 3) go through and erase the shadows and put your own in; 4) find objects to use that don't have any shadows on them. All of them involve a lot of tedious work.
But, if you don't factor in the shadows it looks pretty nice. :) One suggestion...with such a modest inn/pub that master bedroom is kinda large what with having a sitting area. You want customers so you'd want more tables n chairs. So I'd scrap that family room area, move the bedroom in there. Scrap that small room for rent and the head (use an outhouse) and now you have a lot more floorspace. Last, push the stairs up against a wall, possibly outside. But I think too much, shrug. Your pub do what you like. :)

Everything you say is valid. The shadows on these things make me nuts too. I just realize that I cannot draw any of these things (and I've tried and tried..) as far as the layout goes. That was Rossik's idea (this is a commission for him)

So here is the Second Floor Layout of The Sea Troll.

jtougas
01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Here is the beginning of the second floor object placement. I'm as sick as TWO dogs and my head feels like it weighs 12 pounds and ever time I cough I feel like my ribs are trying to poke out of my chest. BUT I might as well sit in front of the computer as sit bundled up on the couch. :)

Gidde
01-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Nyquil. Nyquil is the key! This still looks great, by the way. It looks like a very high-class establishment :)

jtougas
01-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Nyquil. Nyquil is the key! This still looks great, by the way. It looks like a very high-class establishment :)

Ahh Nyquil.. I wish I could take that (darn blood pressure..) Thanks :)

rossik
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
thats great!

could i ask for more tables?
its not a poor tavern, but it doesnt have "fancy", so could you take out the chairs (the lone chairs, near the fireplace).

cant wait to see more, awesome work!

rossik
01-21-2011, 10:35 PM
about the second floor, how big are the rooms?

could you add more rooms?
(its a great work, jtougas, but if you are feeling ill, please take your time! its not a pay work, so you dont have to worry about that in first place, ok?) best wishes

jtougas
01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
about the second floor, how big are the rooms?

could you add more rooms?
(its a great work, jtougas, but if you are feeling ill, please take your time! its not a pay work, so you dont have to worry about that in first place, ok?) best wishes

Thanks for the kind words :) The upstairs single rooms are about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide I can certainly add more tables and possibly another room upstairs I've been thinking that the bath area might just be too much. I can turn that into another room. Your patrons can go elsewhere for a bath.. :)

jtougas
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Well after a mostly sleepless night and a mostly sleepy day I finally felt good enough to put a few hours into this. I changed the second floor by getting rid of the bath area and turning it into 2 more small rooms. I also added another single room. The first floor got a few more tables. The entire thing got a much needed scaling as now I know how big things are supposed to be. (the poor serving girls were sleeping on cots only 3 feet long by 2 feet wide..) :)

First Floor

Second Floor

jtougas
01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
BTW could I get a mod to change the title of this thread to The Sea Troll Tavern. Thanks :)

rossik
01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
OMG!
its so cool!
thanks a lot, friend, i really like it!

as a final request (if possible), could you do the "cellar" (i think thats the name: the palce to put wine, underground). it doesnt have to be as big as the rest: just as big as the main room (the tables room).

thanks in advance

jtougas
01-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm glad you like it :) I'm working on the cellar now.

jtougas
01-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok here is the cellar. The two small rooms with the hay and bedrolls are "Bolt Holes" they are for people who need a place to hide out from various things. They would be accessed by the tunnel leading away from the Tavern that would normally open out into some secluded location (like a sewer tunnel or something like that) the secret doors in the front of them would be used by the tavern staff to deliver food and drink. Of course all of this comes at a steep price. :) I added them because I felt that the cellar needed a little "pop" I can remove them if you don't like them. I also added a few other more mundane things like a pile of broken furniture and the Tavern cats chasing a couple of rats. I have enjoyed making these very much and I hope you enjoy them. If you require any changes please let me know. Also the images hosted here are in jpeg format but I can save them in mostly any format you might need please let me know if you require something different :)

Cellar

Main Floor

Second Floor

Gidde
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Ooh, I like those bolt holes! What a great idea.

jtougas
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Ooh, I like those bolt holes! What a great idea.

Thanks. Every body needs a hideout once in a while. I can remember a pretty intense game week spent in a tiny hole under a tavern in Greyhawk. Much like this one it was right under the bog so you had that smell and it was raining fiercely so the Selitan flooded the basement.. ah the good times.. :)

rossik
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
awesome!!!

thanks a lot!
great idea about the bolt. it will add more flavor to the tavern.
thanks a lot jtougas, its a wonderful work! i dont know about resolution, but i think its large enough.

once more, thanks for sharing your skill!
how shall i add your name in the credits?

edit: oh, could you put a fabric curtain to block the view of the bathroom, just by the stairs?? not a nice view to have, lol

jtougas
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Here it is with the curtain you requested. I'm glad you like the finished product. As far as credit goes you can word it like this: Map Layout created by J.Tougas objects created by various authors.