PDA

View Full Version : First Mapping Attempt Outline

EsotericForest
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
I've done quick little map outlines from time to time, but this is really the first one I sat down and tried to make an effort to get the outline. I did post another world map outline awhile back, but have since abandoned it. I'd like to hear the opinions of those more experienced than I, before I continue by adding mountains/lakes/rivers, and so on. I figured it'd be good to make any fixes now before I had more things somewhat set in stone. I suppose my main question is, are there elements of this that need to be changed because they don't really make any sense...or is that actually even possible?

del337er
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow, I really like this layout, seems there would be a lot of rivers since there is such a high water to land ratio. But looking great!

Gidde
01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
That's an awfully big lake you have in there, what sort of scale is this?

jtougas
01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Looks good to me. I'm guessing this is something on the order of continental scale ?

EsotericForest
01-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I was trying to decide exactly what scale I was working with. My first inspiration was to go with an island, but then I started adding more water and roughing things up more and more, and I started picturing the Mediterranean sea, and I ended up with almost a small continent with an inland sea. I tend to like pretty rough looking terrain so I saw a lot of mountains, and rivers on the map. I live in Oregon so I suppose it's something near and dear to my heart.

Ascension
01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Reminds me a bit of Adallia by Lonewanderer. I'll be interested to see how you progress.

Naeddyr
01-17-2011, 06:30 AM
I really like the over-all shape. If it were me, I'd make the coastline less wavy and fractal, though; more straight lines, with smaller deviations though a few bigger ones now and then.

Like this. Just zoom in, and trace the coastline by hand, if you have a tablet. Go straight (or rather: try to go straight, and your hand will wiggle anyhow, but that's ok for maps cuz it actually looks ok), and dip inland or towards the sea now and again. With the mouse it's a pain though, so if you don't have a tablet, just ignore what I said.

EsotericForest
01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I unfortunately don't have a tablet as of yet, though it's something I've been wanting to get for awhile. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced, decent quality one?

Gidde
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I use a wacom bamboo pen & touch I bought for $99. I'm quite happy with the quality, and the price can't be beaten.

Naeddyr
01-18-2011, 04:27 AM
I use a cheapo brand Aiptek which I bought new at around a hundred euros a few years back. It's A3 sized. There are newer models out there, and they got all kinds of fancy stoff like 16:9 mode and buttonss.

LonewandererD
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey, love the shape, it's dynamic but also feels somewhat natural, to me anyway. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Repped.

-D-

EsotericForest
03-11-2011, 07:00 PM
So yes, I've left my mapping project for awhile due to a hectic life haha. That being said I'm back at it and trying my best to use inkscape to come up with a design I like. It's a very basic looking map, but it looks much better than some of my previous attempts (I won't even show you those). I decided to start small, and just begin with part of the continent from the north eastern region. Any suggestions are welcome.

RecklessEnthusiasm
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
This looks like an awesome start to me! Keep up the good work!

jtougas
03-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Nice start I love the colors :)

EsotericForest
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Any suggestions?

jtougas
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't have any at the moment as you've made a fine start. What's next ?

EsotericForest
03-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I've started hand drawing out the elements of the rest of the continent, and am about to transfer it into inkscape format and start working on it in there again. We'll see how it goes.

EsotericForest
03-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Alright, another step along the path to being done. What are your thoughts?

jtougas
03-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Looks great. All your geography looks right as do your rivers. (you do have one lake that needs an outlet). I really like the coastlines. Nice job :)

EsotericForest
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Thank you, I appreciate your approval. I fixed the lake as well :). On to the forests!

EsotericForest
03-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Alright I've added the forests, as well as a few marsh areas (Though they're hard to see unless I provide a large enough file to zoom in closer). Thoughts? Improvements to be made?

Steel General
03-26-2011, 10:38 AM
I think it's coming along nicely. The symbols are simple, yet effective.

One thing I did notice is that some of your rivers are not quite reaching the coast. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

EsotericForest
03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
It's not intentional. While adding the trees and such there were a couple times I accidentally grabbed the map and moved it, so I think the rivers got a little jacked up that way.

I would eventually like to try a more realistic style of map, but have been avoiding it since it would mean teaching myself how to use a new program (Gimp) and I didn't want to dive in just yet without any idea how I wanted the world to look.