PDA

View Full Version : January/February Entry: The Secret Lair of Dr. Otto Von Raithborne

geamon
01-18-2011, 02:41 AM
Tucked away deep within the Tolkari Woods lies "The Secret Lair of Dr. Otto Von Raithborne". Given license and funding by the King Liam III , Dr. Raithborne explores the depths of the science of pain to unlock the secrets of the Golian prisoners of war. Recently the doctor has turned towards the demonic to aid in his studies to the omission of all his servants and his liege. Only his faithful lab assistant Mr. Boyle is aware of this infernal change in his master. Can you save the Golian soldiers and stop this monster from delving to far into dangerous secrets?

Basically I was not satisfied with my last months submission very poor work and time management and am starting this one early. I plan on making this a multi-page PDF as if I were presenting a product to a client including three floor plans and three isometric views of the floors. Hopefully this can be used to start a portfolio so I can take paid commissions in the future. Going for a simple look and am avoiding the use of textures aside from the parchment background. Now things are settling down hopefully I can complete this project in a timely fashion, if at all.

### Latest WIP ###

geamon
01-18-2011, 04:08 AM
Here's where I've finished off tonight. I will finish the first floor tomorrow. The portrait is not mine but is re-purposed and edited to fit in with the look. I'm being very cautious of the addition and placement of objects, seeing as it is still something I struggle with. Hope you enjoy where this is going. Please comment with any suggestion.

### Latest WIP ###

Savannah
01-18-2011, 06:10 AM
That looks really good! You might want to pay attention to the scale, though. Since you've got 1 square equal to 5 feet, those beds are 5x10 feet!

Gidde
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Looks good so far, I like the monochromatic style.

jtougas
01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Very cool. I love the story :)

geamon
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Added much more objects to the first level, worked a lot on contrasting color balance and also corrected some discrepancies. Unsure if I should be adding wall mounted torches or not, don't wanna over complicate the map. Let me know what you think.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
That looks awesome. I wouldn't do the wall mounted torches might just make it "busy".

geamon
01-19-2011, 01:39 AM
After a round of criticism from wifey, I'm going to create my own portraits and learn to use my new tablet in the process. Also going to add a portrait or graphic inset of both the Dr. and his assistant. Added general layout of next two levels with labeling. After looking at the furnishing, I'm still unsure if it's too busy or not. Again open to criticism.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
01-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Cool, looking forward to your portraits.

geamon
01-19-2011, 04:45 AM
So ya I'm reneging on the portraits haha. After finding this set from Fable II I had to use it because it's precisely what I had in mind. Removed the furnishing on the first floor because it was bothering me and also edited some of the labeling for clarity. Gonna look at this objectively for a day and see what comes to mind. I like where this is going but wanna make sure it looks good enough to winning the lite challenge.

P.S. Starting to notice this is very much taken from the styling of Mechanol, very steampunkish.

### Latest WIP ###

Edit: Removed image due to potential copyright infringement.

torstan
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Geamon - can you please check that images from Fable II are open source enough for you to use them? I know that if my art started cropping up in other people's maps I'd object - especially as you're licensing this map as Creative Commons. If they do have such a license please link to it.

geamon
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Will do, I figured I was crossing the line. After investigating I couldn't find anything concrete one way or the other. Even when looking on Lionhead Games' official site the images aren't even located there. I could only find them on third party/news related webpages. The only way I can know for certain is contacting the artist himself, Mike McCarthy. But I didn't find a way to contact him, therefore I will look for alternatives.

jtougas
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I think I liked it better with the objects but I really like the figures. Either way it looks really good :)

geamon
01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm refurnishing it, just wasn't satisfied with what I had and decide to restart from scratch. I will post a new WIP later tonight. Only have the Dr's Room left to finish the third level.

torstan
01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks Geamon - if you could take down the WIP with those on as well that would be great.

Looking forward to seeing the new version! I love the concept behind this dungeon.

geamon
01-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Here's where I'm at now. Let me know if I'm going the right way or if anything is falling short.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
That looks very good. I really like the overall feel of this.

torstan
01-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Looking good. Love the darker grungier contrast of the lowest level and the detail in the magic circles. Very nice indeed. Great background too - did you type something specific, or is that just random text?

geamon
01-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Random text, found a tillable texture so that it's easier to just fill with.

Gidde
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Looks good! You seem to have taken out the pics but not their captions, though. By the way, that font is fantastic, what is it?

geamon
01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Well I'm trying to find a replacement for the images, something more open source or something of my own. I just lack the motivation to get down and learn the tablet haha. The font is "Amienne", I think it's default with Windows 7 but not sure. I'll add it here if you want it and I'm also including the tillable script texture and paper texture I made in case anyone is interested. These three elements I find encompass a lot of the mood of the style I got going here. Aside from that I have a grainy rendered cloud as my base layer and most layers are set to overlay. If an object needs to be solid three layers of the same content allows it to inherit the coloring and textures used but not seem translucent. Thanks for the compliments the wifey took out the whip this month for the lite challenge is is pushing me to ensure I win.

geamon
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Here's another update. Added a compass to each level and fixed some contrasting issues. I had fun making this compass which is my first custom made one. On the other hand, I almost totally borked my map some how when merging and migrating layers and I lost half the furnishings on the third level. So I had to stitch together a solid layer from the previous .jpeg I posted. Did wonders for .xcf file size when open but unfortunately the third level cant be edited without causing damage. So labeling and everything is gonna stay on the third level.

### Latest WIP ###

geamon
01-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Finished furnishing the first level again. Looks better now in my mind. One more to go then to worry about the portraits.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Looks awesome !! :)

Gidde
01-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Gogogo, just a couple days left! This is looking fantastic. I love what you've done with it since you changed direction.

Jaxilon
01-28-2011, 08:33 PM
couple days? This goes till the 15th doesn't it? He's got a couple of weeks yet. Still, I agree, this is looking wonderful.

Gidde
01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
OH! Yeah, it does! I got my challenges swapped. Sorry if I unnecessarily stressed ya, there, geamon!

geamon
02-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Here's my completed version pending any errors or editing to refine the look.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
02-14-2011, 06:15 AM
looks great geamon - and nice portraits as well... the doctor reminds me a little of a brittish actor, the stupid one from Blackadder... (well one of the stupid ones *lol*)

jtougas
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
This is so very cool Geamon. I couldn't think of a better place for my 1000th post :) :)