PDA

View Full Version : Lower Manhattan In My Own Words

torstan
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I did this for my part of the gallery show - and because I've been wanting to do a personal piece of lower Manhattan for ages. All the details are true to the things in my neighbourhood. Enjoy!

This one is rights reserved. I really need to get back to doing some CC licensed work.

Slylok
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM
very unique. I like it!

torstan
01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks a lot!

Djekspek
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
hehe pretty cool! ... you have women with mini pigs walking around town? disturbing....

torstan
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes, it's the new trend. A pig in your handbag. There comes a time when satire is irrelevant and you just end up repeating what you see.

I recommend googling images of micro-pigs. You will be shocked.

ravells
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Brilliant stuff Torstan! I really like it, it has a great personal feel. My 2 year old daughter is obsessed with pigs at the moment (particularly Peppa Pig and Wibbly pig - children's programmes) but she loves the real thing too - but I think a micro pig would be a step too far...

torstan
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
My niece is hooked on Peppa Pig. It's like crack for the under 5s.

I'm sure there's no such thing as a micro pig. I think they're just piglets being sold by a very canny pig farmer. It'll all come crashing down when those cute little 'micro' pigs outgrow their luis vuitton shoulder bags. :)

ravells
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I looked it up, they grow to only 14 inches high! That's small for a pig. My relatives breed pigs, and 'Leonard' the current stud is so big it's scary. The female pigs are pretty big too (more sausages!)

Gidde
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
That is super cool, Torstan. Love it.

FrancoisGoulet
01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
That's nice. That one goes straight into my "Inspiration" folder :)

TregMallin
01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
That is really cool. I will watch out for the smallish pigs next time I'm in the city.

torstan
01-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Yep, the micro pig this is probably the strangest trend I've come across so far.

I'm interested to extending this style a bit - as this seems to be going down well. It's fun to create a map solely out of information and still have it readable. Thanks for all the responses - I'm really pleased that people like it.

Jaxilon
01-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I guarantee it if I was anywhere near the city of NY I would go check out some of these places you have down there....say the best Pizza and so on. It's an effective map because it would be useful to someone wanting to check out the area. Hey, you should go to some of these places and see if they would be interested in having a copy on their wall? Might make a few sales. :)

By the way, what happened when you were mugged and did you get to have your pint eventually?

torstan
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
It was my wife (she was shaken, but otherwise unharmed). And yes, my pint was still there when I got back over an hour later. That's what I call good service in a local pub :)

jbgibson
01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Torstan - I love text-as-graphics ! You've gone steps better than the usual "Poe's Raven typeset in a raven silhouette" stuff.

Ravells - your daughter needs Bill Peet's Chester the Worldly Pig (http://www.amazon.com/Chester-Worldly-Pig-Bill-Peet/dp/0395272718) :-).

torstan
01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
That brings back memories. We did lessons on concrete poetry when we were in school. My favourite was a poem on anger laid out as a crossword. It certainly runs very close to being dismissed as nonsense a lot of the time.

Faadon Naano
01-25-2011, 08:48 AM
This is awesomeness personified! One thing I miss about no longer living in cities is art galleries with conceptual space like this.

Well done! I now want to map my town with words...