PDA

View Full Version : Village of Belirus WIP

Yandor
12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
So, I decided to try my hand at a more "detailed" type of map, other then a general world map, so I read through pyrandon's Koppollex tutorial, gave me some great ideas. I've picked up a few textures which I believe I got from here, like the forest one, and the building one by AidyBaby, that one I can atleast remember =P

So ideas, opinions, anything would do, I wasn't sure how to fix the buildings, and the flat forests to make them just fit and flow better... I've still got plenty to do, I need to add in fields, and add in more buildings where they are vacant.

P.S. I used the City Generator that a few have linked to like pyrandon did in his Koppollex tutorial

Edit: sorry for all the side notes, but the actual full view is a pretty good shade darker then what I have, must of lost something while saving it...

Yandor
12-26-2007, 03:37 AM
So... I tried messing with the forests to see if I could make them better... The texture that I had I wasn't really liking, so I started messing around with the 3d idea... only problem is if I do that then I'll have to mess with the buildings too, ugh I donno I'm willing to do the 3d, just need to find a way to do it, with out going nuts =P
Anyways updated version first, the 3d idea are the 2 next ones

RobA
12-26-2007, 11:40 AM
That is coming along nicely! If I could make a suggestion, it would be to decide what the "look" is you want... photorealistic, painterly, diagrammatic, etc. and stick with that for all elements. At the moment (to me at least), the forests look photorealistic with a lot of organic detail, the building look softer and more artistic, and the docks look very diagrammatic (sharp and detailed).

-Rob A>

Yandor
12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
haha yeah... welcome to my dilemma... I've been trying to accomplish this without following a tutorial haha and like you said I've gotten me a bunch of different styles, so now my question is then, how could one make the buildings more photorealistic, to match my forest (not to worried about the docks yet). Thanks Rob A

Gamerprinter
12-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Go to Dundjinni forums and find 3D building map objects that are appropriate to what you're looking for and use them.

Or, if you use 3D software, just create some roof structures, maybe some with chimneys. Create the variety you need, use photos of roofing tiles for texture materials and generate your own 3D roofs. Its fairly easy to do.

Depending on the variety you'd need, there would be no more than 10 to 20 building styles, then just load copies, rescale, rotate and place to get your volume of buildings in seeming variety.

Once you create your building roofs, of course, you can use them again and again in all future maps, as your own map objects. (That's how I do it!) 8)

Yandor
12-26-2007, 04:14 PM
hmm, so I think I'll try my hand at both, so heres my 3d ish artistic shot. the actual view, with my very similar buildings haha whatcha think?

Gamerprinter
12-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I was thinking more like these type of 3D buildings...

Here's a couple of simple house transparent PNGs that I've created for use in some of my maps... 8)

Yandor
12-26-2007, 05:52 PM
ahh I see, I'll have to try my hand at that, thanks gamerprinter!

RobA
12-26-2007, 06:32 PM
The thing about the ones you had was they showed the walls. A top down shot won't show walls. Though you also showed the tree trunks at the bottom of the forest......

Are you wanting to make an isometric map (like a view from a hill) or a aerial view map?

-Rob A>

Yandor
12-26-2007, 10:45 PM
haha well, at this point I'm trying both, I figure I have a map with components that are very similar, I've never made a map like this so I figure I got the time to try out both ways, an isometric style, and an areal view. The last little image was of an isometric style, still need to fix the boats and docks to make it similar to the forests and buildings, and I may try messing with the mountains.

Anyways how do the buildings and forest look? (besides being similar, I plan on coloring a few different etc.)

So yeah both Isometric(as I see it artistic) and areal, top down view are both great looking maps, and just trying to figure out what one I like doing more, and what seems to work with my kind of taste or style.

Yandor
12-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Well heres a continuation of my isometric attempt, heres a few of the structures I've attempted to make, I happen to like the docks thing and the castle, the buildings, I think seem to be better, and will try and mess with more later (trying to find a simple effect that looks good, and easy to change and add.) So you know all of this, is pretty much layer effects, and other simpe things, the drawing and other stuff that I've done I've tried to make it as a layer style for that simple effect I'm trying to get :)

Anyways thoughts opinions anything would be great, oh and I know the dorky buildings look huge compared to the castle :P

Yandor
12-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Well I'm nearly finished, need to just finish up the tents in the market, add in a few more paved roads, and find out some way of adding in "fancy" homes for a noble section... Other then that this thing is near complete, heres an updated section

Ideas, problems, opinions, anything would be great!

edit: hehe I can see a few mistakes just by looking at this example, like tents sticking out when they should be under shadows, anda few buildings are like that too =D

pyrandon
12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Wow, Yandor--you've done a lot of work! Nice going!

I think my main issue with this map stems back to RobA's question some posts ago: is this an artistic or realistic map? In this most recent version the roads & fields (for example) are very symbolic, wheras the houses and grass appear representational. This is jarring overall.

I do like the iso view you've been able to produce in the walls and trees--very cool, with much potential!

Keep going, this is a good map!

Yandor
12-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks Pyrandon! I've been putting in more things, like the tents and other random things, because I just couldn't pin what it was that didn't "fit". I'm new to this kind of thing, and I'm shooting for an artistic view I guess, and with the roads and crops, I'm at a lose to make them fit with the buildings and grass, some pointers, and what may work, or any ideas would be grand, but until I get it to work, I'll keep experiementing :D

pyrandon
12-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Yandor, I'd say run this through one or more filters. The artistic community gets really uptight when anyone relies on filters, but for the purpose of melding things together stylistically--especially if you are shooting for the neighborhood of "art"--filters work perfectly for combining and smoothing things. You pay a price for this--generally that price being loss of crisp edges and realistic qualities, but if those are not your intent for your map, then it's no roadblock at all, eh?

The attached is an example of what I mean. In PS I copied your map into two new layers, then ran the watercolor filter on one layer, the paint daubs filter on the other, then I set the top layer to about 60% fill so you can see both together. Then I merged these layers, ran a slight blur, and put the original layer on top set to "screen" blending mode.

The results aren't great, and this could use a lot of tweaking, but I hope from my 5 minutes of play that you can see my point that filters can tie together your work in an artsy-fartsy way.

Just an idea to play with. Take care!

Yandor
12-31-2007, 08:30 PM
hmm interesting, never thought of using a filter on the entire image, ha thanks Pyrandon! I'll have to mess with it and experiment around with it when I finish off my tent/market area. Thanks again for the help!

Yandor
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, I found some new textures, and things decided to try them out, and well what does the attached image look like to you guys?

I was attempting maybe a marsh kind of deal, but kind of looking at it more, looks like a thin, alpine forest... meh whatcha think?

pyrandon
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I agree: that's much more a forest than it is a marsh.

mmmmmpig
01-01-2008, 11:55 PM
create a new layer and fill the that area with a brown. Apply the sponge filter and then delete the lighter color. then you will have puddles of brackish water amid the dark green foliage. Play with the opacity and such.

That is one thing I would try. I am typing this from my couch, so I have no idea if it would work.

Yandor
01-02-2008, 03:51 AM
I'll probably be using it as an alpine forest thing, but mmmmmpig I tried your method hehe kind of fun messing with it (had some wicked awesome colors in there) but heres the end result in the "attempt" so any better at looking like a marsh? or should I give up and try doing it another way?

P.s. I fixed the roads up a little bit too, just so you know

mmmmmpig
01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
I would make the brackish water areas more prominent, but when I think of swamps I think of Mangroves and the Everglades.

I think it is really close.

RPMiller
01-03-2008, 01:34 AM
I think if you add some run off streams from the marsh into the water it will give a more accurate appearance of a marsh. Check out the Florida Everglades for some ideas.

Gamerprinter
01-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Found some USGS Everglades swamp/mangrove aerial photos...

Top and left is freshwater swamp, while bottom and right is mangrove brackish waters.
http://sofia.usgs.gov/projects/gcc_impacts/images/photogallery/E17x.jpg

Tidal stream near freshwater swamp
http://sofia.usgs.gov/projects/gcc_impacts/images/photogallery/EF19x.jpg

Tidal rivers with mangrove islands
http://sofia.usgs.gov/projects/gcc_impacts/images/photogallery/F23x.jpg