PDA

View Full Version : The World of Tre

BookOwl
01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm new here but I have a completed map that I finished little over a week ago. It's my first map I've done digitally and I still like it, though after looking around the tutorials here I'm sure I could do a lot better now.

The map was done in gimp. For the ocean I used some grunge brushes and for the land I also used grunge brushes. After I had the land nicely colored I did a a bump map for a more 3D-ish texture. Then I added a drop shadow to both the land masses and the names.

I know it could've used some mountains and rivers/lakes, but - for the mountains especially - I didn't really know how to decently make them.

I hope to improve in the future, now that I'm here ;)

Gidde
01-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Looks cool, have some rep for posting your first map! I really like your landform shapes, they're very natural-looking.

Jaxilon
01-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Looks pretty good and thanks for sharing your first map here. I agree with Gidde on your landshapes.

Steel General
01-27-2011, 07:51 AM
The land shapes are quite nice, though I think I would go a little easier on the dropshadow, especially on the text. Makes it a bit difficult to read.

BookOwl
01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys. Steel General- I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time, thanks.

And, probably going to sound like a noob here, what's rep?

jtougas
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Very nice !!. as for rep read here: (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?720-What-is-quot-Rep-quot-and-how-do-I-use-it

BookOwl
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
jtougas- Oh, thanks for the link, I understand now. And thank you.

BookOwl
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
jtougas Oh, thanks for the link, I understand now. And thank you. :)