View Full Version : Somewhat personalized fantasy maps for kids

RobA
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Wish I'd thought of it...

http://www.kidlandia.com/Map.aspx?SKU=KID_01_03_14X11_FA_KID-KID_OLIVE_2

-Rob A>

jtougas
01-27-2011, 04:17 PM
I actually did this for my little one before I got into digital mapping (of course I also struggle with "cute" for some reason) :)

Rythal
01-28-2011, 12:37 AM
heh, my 6 year old sister approves.

ravells
01-28-2011, 07:22 AM
This is BRILLIANT!!!!

I must do a personalised Map for my daughter (2 1/2) to hang on her wall which we can add to over time. Finally, something useful I can do with mapping!!

Steel General
01-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Neat! To bad I don't have kids...

tilt
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
ok - thats great :) ... I'm sure my 6 year old would love this - of course having the opportunity to change language would be prudent then - I might just do this myself though - let her have a princess land :)

jtougas
01-29-2011, 04:29 PM
A lot of times I have Ava (she's 4) sitting on my lap when I'm browsing around the CG and she usually asks me why I can't make her a "pretty" map instead of all the scary ones that I do. I feel bad but try as I do I just can't visualize "cute" She does have my original hand drawn Riverhewn map hanging in her room at mommie's house though.. :)

Jaxilon
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
A lot of times I have Ava (she's 4) sitting on my lap when I'm browsing around the CG and she usually asks me why I can't make her a "pretty" map instead of all the scary ones that I do. I feel bad but try as I do I just can't visualize "cute" She does have my original hand drawn Riverhewn map hanging in her room at mommie's house though.. :)

Dude, you gotta get your head out of the abyss and make here a good map. <--- I just wanted to say "head out of the abyss" but why not ask her who lives there and what it looks like and then try :) Almost sounds like it should be a challenge. Interview a kid and then create what they describe. I'll have to find a kid though...

geamon
01-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Dude, you gotta get your head out of the abyss and make here a good map. <--- I just wanted to say "head out of the abyss" but why not ask her who lives there and what it looks like and then try :) Almost sounds like it should be a challenge. Interview a kid and then create what they describe. I'll have to find a kid though...

I think it boils down to being able to put yourself in a child's shoes or finding your inner child. From there understanding their point of view then you can present something that a kid would like. Check this out and it will help you get in the mind set. Link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMkn4J_l9uU&feature=related)

RjBeals
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
ohhh cool. Seems theres a lot of kid maps up in the air around the forums lately ;)

Almost sounds like it should be a challenge. Interview a kid and then create what they describe. I'll have to find a kid though...

Well thats almost exactly what I did in the latest challenge, ice cream map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13087-January-2011-Challenge-Ice-Cream-Run&p=141496&viewfull=1#post141496). My 3 girls ( ages 4, 6 & 8 ) came up with the theme and the road obstacles. I just followed their direction.

Jaxilon
01-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Geamon - I love that link, I did not have it but I saw a program with this in it and it had something to do with kids learning to postpone the immediate gratification or something along those lines. I believe it was part of a study and the kids who could postpone eating the first marshmallow turned out to be more successful later on in life. That's how I remember it anyway. As a result of that I often say to people, "Oh you are a one marshmallow kid." and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Me, I'm a two marshmallow kid all the way. No way would I have eaten that thing. LOL, it's so funny to watch them stressing out though.

geamon
01-31-2011, 03:06 PM
It 's also a test to demonstrate a certain aspect of children's cognitive development, the perception of the time. Children at a certain age can't conceive of the future the same way we do especially in stress based situations. I got wind of this off a recent 4th Panel on PATV (Penny Arcade TV), Mike was talking about his son Gabe having a loose baby tooth and he didn't want it pulled out because it hurt. The kid couldn't understand the immediate pain would result in relief once pulled out. I'm by means no expert on child development but I find it fascinating. I kind of railroaded the thread but again my suggestion is learn a kid thinks and you can definitely make children's maps.

jtougas
01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
My daughter (Ava for those who might not know) has a very good grasp of abstract consequences. I explained the idea behind the video to her and she said "I'd wait to take the marshmallow if it meant I could have two later" now of course she said that in 4 year old which meant "Well daddy would just give me two marshmallows anyway so why would I have to wait..." Thats my girl :) And as far as making her a map can any one draw several cartoony hippopottumus in various poses? (yep she has a thing for pottumi..)

Jaxilon
01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
ROFL, I must be a kid at heart because I love Pottumi myself :) I think they make for hilarious cartoon characters.

There's a cartoon called "Zigby" that has a Hippo character in a bathing suit named Celeen. <--- How do I know this, well, sometimes I watch Cartoons in Spanish so I can learn a little more of the language.