PDA

View Full Version : My generated world map

wlievens
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
This is my first post with proper content!

Since I'm not a good artist, but a pretty decent programmer, I try to build fantasy maps by generating them programaticically.

This map was generated by software written by me, from scratch. It's by no means finished, I'm especially not happy about the mountains. The biomes are also a bit too monotonous (only three terrain types) but that's actually somewhat on purpose.

Rythal
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
looks good! cool idea too! the forests could use a bit more density, and as to the mountains, some sort of bevel would go a long way.

wlievens
01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
looks good! cool idea too! the forests could use a bit more density, and as to the mountains, some sort of bevel would go a long way.

I should indeed increase the density, but I've been wary of doing that because I map different territories and each has one dominant terrain type (my game needs that). I've attached an example of my region boundaries, this will make clear what I mean. I should probably place some random trees on the grassland parts too, at very low density, to mitigate this effect.

jtougas
01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
looks good !! :)