PDA

View Full Version : GiddeHand Half-Script Font

Gidde
01-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, I have finished (sort of) and submitted my first font to dafont.com, but they only review submissions once a month! So I thought I'd upload it for the Guild now. I'll add in accented characters soon, but I just didn't have the gumption to kern them all today. In the meantime, the accents are there so with a little hacking you can make accented characters if you need them for a map. The font is meant to emulate a ball-point or other round-nib pen, and is an approximation of my actual handwriting.

Edit: The font is licensed "Free for personal use" as the editing software I have precludes its use for commercial fonts. If it gets a ton of downloads I plan on buying the pro version of the software and will relicense it.
2nd Edit: Updated the .zip to include a license file.
3rd Edit (2/3/2011): Uploaded a new version to fix a bug that prevented Microsoft programs from rendering the font correctly. Also slightly changed the shape of the capital letter G.

Enjoy! And as always if you see something wrong with it or want to leave other suggestions they're always welcome!

jtougas
01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Very cool. Kudos to you for trying something that has always seemed a little like magic to me. (and nice handwriting mine would rather like a bunch of angry lines all trying to eat one another) :)

craggles
01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Superb handwriting!

Is this for general use or only for personal maps?

As a designer, you can never have too many handwriting fonts. :P

Gidde
01-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Thank you!!

My license for the font creation software precludes commercial use, so it's personal use only. If it turns out to be popular, I'm going to buy the pro version that allows commercial use and relicense it.

ravells
01-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Superb work, Gidde!

Beautiful consistency with the letterforms.

What are you going to do for your next one?!!

Gidde
01-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks so much Ravs!

I'm already working on the next one *sheepish grin*

I have a few maps by Nicholas de Fer from the early 1700s and I'm making his beautiful (and non-copyrighted ;) ) lettering into a whole series of fonts for us medieval mappers!

ravells
01-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Yay! We've had guests round, so my 'Blair Hand' has had to wait a bit! Just about finished the lower case letters for the italics, but there's lots of tweaking to be done.

Gidde
01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I hear ya there. Without even kerning the accented characters, GiddeHand has 887 kerning pairs. WOW that took a long time. I have a feeling that scripts/handwriting fonts are probably the hardest to kern. The one I'm doing now requires NO kerning pairs (woohoo) because it's meant to have even spacing between letters.

EDIT: How naive I was. Yes, there will still be kerning pairs >.<

jfrazierjr
01-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Are there bold/italic versions including the font package? Anyway, good job!

Gidde
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks! Not yet, and I don't actually plan on making an italic variant, but bold will be forthcoming. I'm still trying to learn the software and typography at the same time, and I'm not quite sure yet how to do bold the "right way" :(

Katto
01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Very good, Gidde! I don't know the standards and do's and don'ts for a font, but that's looking fantastic. It is also good to see some people not just drawing maps, but provide stuff, here "mapping elements", to use for them.

Gidde
01-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks, Katto! And, well, I don't really know the standards either lol, but I'm trying to learn, and I'd like to think I have a pretty good eye for type. So hopefully I can learn to do this well :)

ravells
01-31-2011, 04:08 AM
EDIT: How naive I was. Yes, there will still be kerning pairs >.<

Lol...it's never that easy, is it?

Gidde
02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Woot! GiddeHand has 32 downloads in less than 24 hours of being up on FontSpace (http://www.fontspace.com/studiogidde/giddehand)! Yay!!

ravells
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Wow, that's really cool!!!

torstan
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
That's fantastic! Congratulations. And I'm also massively impressed at those embarking on this dark art.

Ascension
02-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Heh heh, dark arts. I like that. I can picture a dark-robed wizard with all his gadgets and spell components trying to conjure up the perfect font over his cauldron.

Gidde
02-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Lmao. Thanks for the congratulations and for giving me a reason to laugh on what is turning out to be an exceedingly rough day ;)

jfrazierjr
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Good job. They look nice. Now, the bad news: when(if), you add your bold version, you will have to update the original since there is already some very close overlap in the letter spacing. Anyway, congrats! I will pick it up "eventually"(yea, I have way to many of those lying around in my brain....)

torstan
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I realised too late that 'kerning' is a mystical process that requires the blood of an innocent, the sweat of thousands and the tears of a fair maiden. At that point I realised that I had started down a dark path - but that the ends would be worth the sacrifices the rite required of me. Now when I see Papyrus something dark stirs and the voices tell me what I must do to those who perpetrate such sins....

ravells
02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I realised too late that 'kerning' is a mystical process that requires the blood of an innocent, the sweat of thousands and the tears of a fair maiden.

You got away lightly then. :)

Midgardsormr
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Now when I see Papyrus something dark stirs and the voices tell me what I must do to those who perpetrate such sins....

That must get inconvenient, because Papyrus is everywhere. Somebody needs to analyze what makes that font so appealing and bottle it.

Gidde
02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Papyrus is appealing? Oh crap, maybe I need to rethink this whole font thing, because I obviously have no clue ;)

Hai-Etlik
02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Papyrus is appealing? Oh crap, maybe I need to rethink this whole font thing, because I obviously have no clue ;)

It's appealing in the same manner that Kraft Dinner is. Some people love it, but those with any taste find it repulsive.

ravells
02-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Lol....I used Papyrus in our wedding invitation. Looking at it now the kerning is horrible, but I still think the letter forms give a good Edwardian conservatory feel (which is what I wanted to go for). I think (not sure) it probably got overused because it was one of the very few decorative fonts which shipped installed with an early version of Ms Word. Comic Sans is the other one which comes in for criticism for over and inappropriate use. I actually know a lawyer who composes all his emails in comic sans.

Gidde
02-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Aww, sorry Ravs, didn't mean to diss your wedding invitations! A lawyer using comic sans for his emails though? eeeewww....

ravells
02-03-2011, 07:55 AM
LOL! It was a long time ago when I wasn't old enough to know better....the design I mean, not the decision to get married!!!

Midgardsormr
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
It's appealing in the same manner that Kraft Dinner is. Some people love it, but those with any taste find it repulsive.

Heh. Well stated. Although I do occasionally like a nice bowl of Mac'n'Cheese. And Papyrus is still perfect for piratey treasure maps. It's when you find it plastered on signs for tech companies that you start to wonder what's up.

Gidde
02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I love mac'n'cheese. :)

Edited the top post to fix a bug that stopped the font from rendering correctly in Microsoft Office and Wordpad.

RobA
02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
The "problem" with papyrus is overuse.

You will find it on 90% of the labels for homeopathic stuff, massage therapists, health centers, etc. It's a new-age thing, I think.

http://www.papyruswatch.com/

-Rob A>

FrancoisGoulet
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
LOL! It was a long time ago when I wasn't old enough to know better....the design I mean, not the decision to get married!!!

Well, we were invited at a wedding last summer and it was Papyrus... still "actual" in 2010 in the wedding industry ;)

ravells
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
LOL, I'm glad I'm not alone then!!!

Arcana
03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
May I ask what software you're using? I hop eyou haven't answered this elsewhere though, lol.

ravells
03-03-2011, 10:41 AM
It is around somewhere in another post, but it's Hi Logic Font Creator. Not as expensive as the industry standards, but still pretty good IMO.

Ramah
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
2,150 downloads now on Fontspace. Does this mean you're gonna be getting the pro version like you said? :)

Great font, btw, Gidde.

Just out of interest... how on earth does a software company that makes font design software police such a thing as a font designed on a non-pro version being used in a commercial project? Must be a right nightmare. :s

tilt
03-04-2011, 04:26 AM
they probably just put it there and hope that people do what they say :)

and even though its been many many years since I've used papyrus I understand the appeal of the font - but the overuse keeps me from using it again - don't want to look like all others :)

congrats on the high amount of downloads :)

Gidde
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much guys :) It's also been (FINALLY) posted on dafont :)

I do have the pro version now, I'm just putting the finished touches on GiddeHand Pro and trying to decide whether to try to handle payment/delivery myself or give up the 50% MyFonts.com takes (yowch).

tilt
03-05-2011, 06:37 AM
One of the things I appreciate in a good and professional font is when the font-creator adds my local characters - in the old days one should be lucky to get a font that supported them but with open-types 65.000 places there is now plenty of room. I often had big problems finding alternative fonts when I worked with disney stuff - cause the US designers found the strangest fonts only made with the most basic letters and thus people like me had to do magic to convert those fonts to the local language.
Personally I like to see in any font :)

Gidde
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info, tilt, and I've actually just added ae and AE just for you :) The a-rings I had already included, but I'll also make sure I do the slashed o's.

One of the things I've been struggling with is a minimum glyph set for my commercial versions, so if anyone else has any must-have glyphs, please post or PM me with them.

tilt
03-05-2011, 02:44 PM
thanks *bows deeply* ... much appreciated... its not until you find a font without the letters you actually realise how much they are used in your language *lol*