PDA

View Full Version : First attempt, underground com base

Erenthal
01-29-2011, 08:55 PM
First post here, just joined this excellent forum. First off, I wanted to thank this great tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1693-Award-Winner-Painting-Dungeon-Tiles-in-Adobe-Photoshop) for showing a total noob like me a good technique for creating simple tiles. As you can see from my work, I liked it so much that I almost felt it looked too damn similar :) But then, that's the point of tutorials, to learn, right?

Anyway, this is intended to be used in Maptool, hence the doors and some other objects (to be insterted inside a Maptool session) are missing. It's for a Dark Heresy (WH40k rpg) campaign, where the acolytes examine a eerily abandoned imperial com relay on an asteroid.

It's about 1/3 done, I should venture. All the objects (except the aquila, traced that one) are drawn by hand. Will hopefully post the whole thing when it's done, and maybe someone will find it useful/inspiring. I just want to pay back this forum for providing said inspiration!

jtougas
01-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Great Job !! And welcome to the Guild :)

Gidde
01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Great map! Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for posting a map in your very first post! :)

geamon
01-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Ditto with first map and rep! I like the hand drawn fell to the elements. The next step is to tighten up the look and make it more photo realistic IMO. Unless a more cartoonish look is what you are aiming your style to become then all the power to you.

RocketDad
01-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Nicely done! I've seen less sophisticated maps in publications. Repped!

bartmoss
01-31-2011, 02:18 AM
Very nice. Immediately reminded me of the Space Hulk maps, you know, the ones in segments you could connect to each other. I'll follow up with some rep too.

wormspeaker
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Always nice to see more SF maps. Repped.

Erenthal
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Ok, was out of town for a while. Thanks for all the kind replies! Posting latest version here. As you can see, the floorplan is basically done. Now I have to work on some more details :)

The only thing I'm not quite happy with are the carpets, the purple and the blue ones. I think I'll redo those.

someguy
02-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Very cool maps.

A personal musing, but its funny how almost every underground map will have a round room in it some where.

Jaxilon
02-15-2011, 06:46 AM
It looks good.

It may be funny when you think about it but then honestly, most people who have lived underground didn't bother carving out square rooms (or did they?). Why would they, it's too much hassle for no real benefit? Kind of makes you start wondering why we build in squares at all. They stack nice I guess and are pretty structurally sound.

someguy
02-16-2011, 12:21 AM
It may be funny when you think about it but then honestly, most people who have lived underground didn't bother carving out square rooms (or did they?). Why would they, it's too much hassle for no real benefit? Kind of makes you start wondering why we build in squares at all. They stack nice I guess and are pretty structurally sound.Actually the vast majority of egyptian tombs are made up of squares and rectangles.

As for why, More usable space.

waldronate
02-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Kind of makes you start wondering why we build in squares at all. They stack nice I guess and are pretty structurally sound.

Plus, they perfectly pack the unused space in a grid road structure.

Jaxilon
02-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Well I do indeed stand corrected. I should have not been so lazy and double checked my super cool book I have here across the room from me: "Atlas of Ancient Archaeology" - It'd been so long since I've dug through it I guess I just remembered the odd ones that were NOT square, LOL.