PDA

View Full Version : January/February Entry: Lair of the Alchemist

Jaxilon
01-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Ok, well I wanted to try something new but I've been wrapping up one commission, starting another and trying to figure out what to do for final touches on my Current Monthly Challenge entry. I'm also reading three books and running a business.

But then Geamon asked me why I haven't entered....Soooooo, this is what I was sketching out in my sketchbook. It's completely freehand and done without any points of reference other than my eye. I also wanted to attempt twisting the view by starting out the entry at a different angle and then pulling the viewer in through the door and into the branching tunnels of the Alchemist's Lair. Next time I think I'll try using some reference points though. I imagine this being linked through a Wine cellar or something.

I have not been able to do much with it because I've been doing all these other things but I am starting in the back and working my way forward as I paint. I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to be able to complete this one on time. I know I will try just because I hate to let things go unfinished once I start. So I hope you are happy Geamon :)

Once again, I go in thinking, "Man, I hope it doesn't suck". Hahha.

### Latest WIP ###

geamon
01-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Hell ya I'm happy, deal!!

moutarde
01-30-2011, 01:37 AM
That looks like it'll be pretty freakin awesome if you get it finished :)

Gidde
01-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Once again, I go in thinking, "Man, I hope it doesn't suck".

I think we all do, lol ... at least I do :) Jax, this looks really good so far. I like the concept and I love this style of map. Hope you have time to finish!

jtougas
01-30-2011, 01:16 PM
"Man, I hope it doesn't suck". That is my motto :) Looks great Jax. I hope you finish this because I can't wait to watch it develop. :)

Jaxilon
01-30-2011, 06:21 PM
rofl - it's good to be quoted I guess. :)

lapada
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
ouuu , this I will be cool ^^

Jaxilon
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Got a bit more of the halls done and the first room with the secret entrance. If I get everything done I'll start putting in some furniture and whatnot, if not, it'll just have to be the layout.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Very cool.It kind of feels like a "storyboard" to me (which is awesome) :)

Jaxilon
02-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Man, work has been killing me lately. By the time I get home it's all I can do to get through my emails and some of the forums. To top that off, I figured I would have some time today to work on this but I spent half the night being ill which has me now feeling like a shell. I think I'll just totter off in a corner and passively watch some TV or something. I hope I wake up tomorrow filled with energy and drive so maybe I can try to finish this baby off. It's been slow going though. :(

Gidde
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I hate days where I feel like that, I sympathize. Here's some fingers crossed for a good energy-filled day of enthusiastic project-ing tomorrow!

jtougas
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Hope you feel better Jax. And don't worry it's pretty awesome the way it is.. :)

tilt
02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
looking damn good Jax, I hope you get to finish it :)

Steel General
02-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Jax I've been in a similar "rut" for nearly 8 months... Hope you come out of it much faster than I have.

lapada
02-13-2011, 11:50 PM
feel better man -- its just that season I guess :/

Jaxilon
02-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Well, I did get to work on this for a bit this evening. I still want to place more furniture and lighting but we'll see how the next day goes. Time is running out.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
02-14-2011, 04:28 AM
almost there... stay on target :) .... looking good indeed, love those muted colors :)

Jaxilon
02-15-2011, 05:39 AM
I think this is as done as I'm going to get it. I need some sleep after all :) Plus, the ol' hand is cramping on the mouse. I darkened it up because it's supposed to be underground and if it's too dark let me know as I can probably change that before the deadline.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
looks fantastic and not to dark imho. Like the secret door and the trap :)

Jaxilon
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks Tilt. My wife thinks it's too dark but I'm like, "It's underground, what do you want electric lighting?" Of course, if you go for actual realism you could save yourself at least half the drawing :)

geamon
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Awesome Jax I'm happy you completed it, we got ourselves another tight race I'm thinking.

Jaxilon
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Yep, going to have to start calling ourselves "The Map Pack". eh...now that I think of it, maybe only the old timers around here would get that :)