PDA

View Full Version : Ferric Tide Font

Gidde
02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
The first in my Ferric series, which I'll be basing off of several 1700-1720 maps I've collected images of.

Still need to do the kerning, so I'm not uploading the font just yet, but I've finished the glyphs (I think). This font is meant for labeling oceans and things -- I can't imagine anyone wanting numerals in it (especially since there will be numerals in the other Ferric fonts), so I didn't include numerals. But that makes me feel like a bad font designer. What do you guys think? Does it need numbers?

Edit 3/4/2011: Uploaded "beta" -- non-commercial use only, please.

RobA
02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
You are turning into a font machine!

(sniff - we've lost him^d^d^dher to the dark side...)

-Rob A>

Gidde
02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Well, the whole point here is to make fonts for my maps .... and for the rest of the Guild to use for their maps. Plus, I have two maps in progress getting regular updates, too :)

RobA
02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
So....

How hard would it be to make a set of symbol glyphs? Say if we had a contest to make map icons..... and all the entries were to be turned into a font pack...

(Thinking out loud)...

((In type))...

-Rob A>

Gidde
02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
That honestly wouldn't be that hard at all. It's just a matter of re-vectorizing them (the font is in quadratic beziers, and every other image-editing program I've seen/found is in cubic beziers -- they don't translate well so you have to redraw them). They'd have to be pure black/white though.

It'd be really fun and rewarding, too. I'd totally volunteer to make the font pack after the challenge. It really could all be done in one font, too. There's a LOT of space for symbols. It'd just be a wingdings font.

Ascension
02-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I can see the usefulness of numbers and punctuation because I use them for things other than maps. But that's up to you so just keep having fun.

Jaxilon
02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
(sniff - we've lost him to the dark side...)
-Rob A>

For some reason I thought Gidde was a woman....did I get you mixed up with someone else?

ravells
02-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Gidde! How are you doing this at such speed? This is amazingly fast and great work! Numbers probably are a necessity as people might want to use them for Lats and Longs, and the scale bar. I'm just about to start the uppercase with Blair Hand Italics, work has been been pretty busy this week so I've not had a chance to make a decent run at it.

Gidde
02-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Nope Jax you were right, I just get called "him" so often on the internet and xbox that I don't bother to correct it every time ;)

Ravs, this particular font went really fast because (a) I was able to find examples of every single letter on my reference maps, (b) it's small caps so all I really had to do with the lowercase glyphs was fix the line widths, and (c) it's an extremely geometric font, so once i learned its "rules" drawing all the glyphs was pretty darn easy. The next in the family will use non-extended versions of these caps and actual lowercase glyphs, so I think it will take some more time.

RobA
02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
For some reason I thought Gidde was a woman....did I get you mixed up with someone else?

I should have remembered that :oops:

-Sorry Gidde-

-Rob A>

Gidde
02-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Oh pfft Rob, no need to apologize. :)

FrancoisGoulet
02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
The font looks great! :) Can't wait to be able to try it on my maps ;)

Steel General
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Font Design = Crack :)

jtougas
02-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Nope Jax you were right, I just get called "him" so often on the internet and xbox that I don't bother to correct it every time

Not man not woman but FONTMACHINE.... Excellent work Gidde.. I would vote on numerals as well as like Ascension I use these fonts for other things as well. :)

Gidde
02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
@Francois: Thanks! I hope to get a working version out really soon.

@SG: It is indeed, lol.

@jtougas: Yeah, I'm starting work on the numerals. It's just really hard compared to the letters; no references so I have to guess what will look "right" with the rest of the font. Ah well, it'll be good practice!

jbgibson
02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh, crud, now you've done it, Gidde. Do you ever see this one element or feature, or FONT, that makes you want to start a new project, just so you can use it? That's Ferric Tide. It didn't help that I was already wishing I could emulate some of those 17th-18th century styles. And I want to not neglect my other (ok, ONE of my other) obsessions, the geofiction world of Aurora --- you know, that place a2area has introduced y'all to? So now I'm mentally rummaging around, Hmmmmmmmmmm <lost in thought>....

BTW, once you complete it, find an historic railroading or model railroading community to offer it to as well - it REALLY fits what would've been seen on 1860's-1910's railroad equipment. Long skinny equipment (http://mainetwofooters.fotopic.net/p19639091.html) called for elegant extended fonts.

Gidde
02-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks on several levels! The compliment made me blush and I had to repeat it to my husband; the tip on railroading communities is most welcome; and that pic of the railroad car just went a LONG way toward solving my conundrums on the numerals and the ampersand!!

Gidde
02-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Okay, I took a first pass at kerning and also at numerals. The numerals were really hard, so I've lost objectivity -- any critique/suggestions would be most welcome.

Coyotemax
02-10-2011, 04:17 AM
If you released it as is right now, i would so totally snag it and use the hell out of it :)

Vandy
02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
If you released it as is right now, i would so totally snag it and use the hell out of it :)

Hello, Gidde.

I've got to agree with Coyotemax concerning your font. It is certainly going to be a keeper!

Thanks for all your hard work in creating it.

Regeards,

Vandy

Gidde
02-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys! I hope to finish the last few glyphs it really *needs* before release tonight.

Tigon
03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Excellent font Gidde, can't wait to see it released and in action. In fact I was somewhat disappointed when I realised it was still a WIP, or at least I don't see/haven't found a released file, but then that's possibly just me...34082

Gidde
03-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Tigon :)

I'm still working on some polish elements, but I think I can put a "beta" up here for the time being. Adding it to the top post.