PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Finally, a new map.

HandsomeRob
01-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi all,
I have finally updated my site (http://sorol.wikispaces.com) with a new map, which is too big to attach but can be viewed here. (http://sorol.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/Kurnefala.jpg) For those who are interested, this map depicts the region of Kurnefala and its neighbors, which are part of the empire of Visarmayan. It is the region immediately to the east of the area which I most recently mapped (here (http://sorol.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/WesternJalaun.jpg)).

-Rob

mmmmmpig
01-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Do you have the Nat'l Geo style sheet? This is tight

HandsomeRob
01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Do you have the Nat'l Geo style sheet?

Nope. I do have access to all of their fonts, but I'd get in big trouble if I used them. The style sheet here is my own invention, but it pretty much follows normal cartographic standards.

-Rob

Eilathen
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow...just wow. One can only admire those maps. Like in a real Atlas. I'm looking forward to more...

Redrobes
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought this map was amazing, really amazing then it was put into the shadow of something more amazing. I just been to the site to see that this is one of many (what 27 ?) like it... So I just had to play ! Seriously cool stuff.

Edit -- actually I have a question. Is the map projection built into the maps or is it something that you apply to them. Or to rephrase it, are the maps vector types so that you could do different projections of the same map - like a Mercator or whatever or does it have to be viewed with the one you used because you have labeled stuff to fit with the projection.

pyrandon
01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Impressive as ever, Rob!

alucard339
01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
It's really great stuff your doing.

It so great that first I though it was a real map in which you change the name.

It must take a great deal of time to come up with all those names no?

Hope to see more of your work soon,
Alu.

HandsomeRob
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
So I just had to play ! Seriously cool stuff.
That's sweet!

Edit -- actually I have a question. Is the map projection built into the maps or is it something that you apply to them. Or to rephrase it, are the maps vector types so that you could do different projections of the same map - like a Mercator or whatever or does it have to be viewed with the one you used because you have labeled stuff to fit with the projection.
The projection is built into the maps. It would be great to be able to reproject the maps (it would definitely save me time!) but my software does not have that capability.

It must take a great deal of time to come up with all those names no?
No kidding, I am completely burned out on coming up with names! I need to find a good programmable name generator.

Thanks
-Rob

rlucci
01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I just got done going through your site and your work is absolutely amazing. I was glad to see you dabble in different styles once in a while, too (of particular interest to me was the city map of Jushalishuk (http://sorol.wikispaces.com/Jushalishuk) - very cool).

I think there's a lesson here for me and I think it's called Attention to Detail. My wife might call it something else ("insanity", "anal", "obsessive", etc.), but then, she has her own collection of obsessions, so we can't really use her opinion as any sort of measure.

Keep making your maps. We'll keep gawking in astonishment.

ravells
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I think there's a lesson here for me and I think it's called Attention to Detail. My wife might call it something else ("insanity", "anal", "obsessive", etc.), but then, she has her own collection of obsessions, so we can't really use her opinion as any sort of measure.

As one of my friends once said: everyone's a geek for something!

Baziron
01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Good gracious... you know, when I see this, I'd definitely want to tell you to take a map of mine to the next level of graphics - I'd do the naming.

However, I would certainly not be able to ever properly reward you for your business; but dreaming is fair, right? ;-)

Redrobes
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
The projection is built into the maps. It would be great to be able to reproject the maps (it would definitely save me time!) but my software does not have that capability.
I can reproject them to mercator type as long as the curvature is not too great so that would be easier nearer the equator. It would not be exact (as its doing a limited power curve fit) but it would be darn close. I was asking because I tried to stitch them together as is but they would not line up exactly due to the projection and again its harder nearer the poles. So I thought before I go off and try to get them squared up into vertical and horizontal grids it might be easier to ask if you have that capability. Once its square then its easy to get the grids to match and I can see that your software is definitely doing georeffing so I can tell that its an exact match under those grid lines. Id like to see this map stitched into one large array so ill take a pop at it. Its a bit tricky but I think it can be done. Its just awesome. God knows how many hours you must have been at it.

HandsomeRob
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I can reproject them to mercator type as long as the curvature is not too great so that would be easier nearer the equator. It would not be exact (as its doing a limited power curve fit) but it would be darn close. I was asking because I tried to stitch them together as is but they would not line up exactly due to the projection and again its harder nearer the poles. So I thought before I go off and try to get them squared up into vertical and horizontal grids it might be easier to ask if you have that capability. Once its square then its easy to get the grids to match and I can see that your software is definitely doing georeffing so I can tell that its an exact match under those grid lines. Id like to see this map stitched into one large array so ill take a pop at it. Its a bit tricky but I think it can be done. Its just awesome. God knows how many hours you must have been at it.

I have software at work that can reproject raster images, so my plan is eventually to reproject all of the maps into Plate Carree/Geographic projections and create a KML file so that they can be viewed in Google Earth as overlays. I'd like to see what you come up with too though.
There will be some mismatches along map seams; When I start a map that overlaps another that has already been made I simply rubbersheet in the existing info and match it up quick and dirty. So there can be a little bit of error in those areas.

-Rob

Redrobes
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
That sounds very cool. I will do that shortly. My HDD decided to HDD heaven today so I am running this box now in a life support / resuscitation unit with a freshly bought HDD from the PC shop. Once im up and zipping again ill produce a short movie of it.

Given that my little app can stretch any image in any way (to a small degree) then even if there are a few small mismatches then I can get it to warp them back in line again. The grid would then be out but hey I expect the text is going to look interesting when its warped anyway.

mmmmmpig
01-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Are you working in Illustrator? If so, you can at least export the line work as a dxf and then import that into ArcGIS. Edit the line work to map to an Earth projection. With a little editing it could easily become a full fledged alternate world GIS. That would be cool! Setting up a .tfw file would not be difficult at that point either. Heck, If I had the Lizartech plug in I would MrSid it for the compression. After that reprojecting becomes second nature.

Sir Alain
01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
No kidding, I am completely burned out on coming up with names! I need to find a good programmable name generator.

Have you tried TableSmith (http://www.mythosa.net/Utils.html)? It's fully programmable, and if you want a quick start, it comes bundled with a crapload of pre-made tables. You can also join the Yahoo group and download more. It pretty much solved all my naming problems.

ulanbatar
04-06-2008, 08:51 PM

I recommend a little program called LangMaker (http://www.langmaker.com/langmake/index.htm). It's actually intended for people inventing a whole new language, but it also works great for world building. It makes it easy to set up phonetic rules to generate names with their own distinctive sound for different geographical areas.

Sir Alain
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have LangMaker too. I am having a divil of a time getting it to run on Vista, and unfortunately the author no longer provides any support.. :*(

delgondahntelius
04-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Tablesmith is the bomb... i've been using it for years... :D

su_liam
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
LangMaker is now open source. I'm looking into porting it to java, so I can run it on mac. Hard going so far, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with the code. It's in VB, so there are whole chunks of automated GUI code globbed in with the meat. Confusing as all get out if you don't have the MS(spit) IDE.

If I come up with something that works, and the code isn't too embarrassingly kludgy, I'll offer it back to Jeffrey Henning. Never mind, I've put out embarrassing code before...

Sir Alain
04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
I downloaded the source too, thinking of giving it a shot. But my programming skills are woefully inadequate, so I ditched it LOL. If you have any kind of success, I would be interested in getting a working copy. I am working on a novel, and having this handy little utility would be a definite plus.:)

PokealypseNow
08-07-2008, 06:36 AM
So I may be more than a few months late to the party here, but dagum Rob, those are wonderfully impressive maps.

I hope to get in the neighborhood of your level of detail with my own work in time.

Very, VERY nicely done!

Steel General
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Utterly amazing!!

Can't imagine how many hours of work went into this, looks like it came right out of an atlas or encyclopedia.

HandsomeRob
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Can't imagine how many hours of work went into this.

Thanks.
I average about 8 hours per map.

ravells
08-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Handsome Rob's 'hours' are like 'bullet time' in the Matrix. :)

Steel General
08-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I probably had at least 20 hours in my "Arvaandor" map, and that doesn't have anywhere near the detail, etc. that this has.

Of course they are 2 completely different styles of maps.

Midgardsormr
12-03-2008, 11:33 PM
HR, is there a legend for your atlas available somewhere?

And a nice bump to draw the attention of new members to these fantastic maps.

isomage
12-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Rob, your maps are stunning. How do you do them? Have you ever written a tutorial (and if not, would you consider doing so?) Even some sketchy notes... anything...

Also, what is this for? Is it for a game, or is it just an experiment in world-building?

Edit:

Found a tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1577

HandsomeRob
01-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Rob, your maps are stunning. How do you do them? Have you ever written a tutorial (and if not, would you consider doing so?) Even some sketchy notes... anything...

Also, what is this for? Is it for a game, or is it just an experiment in world-building?

Hey gang,
I haven't been around here much lately... checking back in I see that there are some out-standing questions for me. Sorry about that!

First, I see you've found the tutorial. Hope it helps. Second, I am not a gamer (though I've been told that my world suits gaming quite well), just a world-building hobbyist.

HR, is there a legend for your atlas available somewhere?
Not yet. A few people have asked me for one of those also, so I'll need to throw one together soon. The symbology is consistent from map to map, however. For example, for settlements: A small black dot represents a town with 1000-6000 people, a white circle is a city with 6000-15000 people, a white circle with a small white circle inside it is a big city with 15000-30000 people, and a white circle with a small black dot inside it is a metropolis with over 30000 people. Settlements with fewer than 1000 people are not shown.

Also, if you check out the website (http://sorol.wikispaces.com), you will see that I have added quite a few new maps since I was here last. I think I'm up to about 46 at this point. I have also noticed that while it is easy for me to relate the regional maps to the world map, it is nearly impossible for anyone else. To aid in that regard, I have created a clickable world map which allows you to click to zoom in on regional maps. You can find that guy right here (http://sorol.wikispaces.com/Clickable+Atlas+Map).

Thanks!
-Rob

Ander
10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow, what wonderful work... Amazing.

Fransie
11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Awesome work.