PDA

View Full Version : Maps commission for CSG Studios

RecklessEnthusiasm
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
This is the first of ten maps I'll be doing for CSG Studios. It is my first attempt at a new style and I am drawing all the features by hand, which is pretty exciting for me: normally Ido most of my maps by manipulating interesting textures, so this feels more 'artistic.'

Displayed with watermark, with permission of CSG Studios. The names are all placeholders.

I would welcome any advice or ideas, as this is a new style for me!

Ascension
02-07-2011, 12:43 AM
The green lettering looks a little vivid, I'd add some gray to the color mix to mute it a bit but that's just a minor thing. The blue seems a little weird, maybe a bit o green in the mix. Illustration-wise I think it looks great.

RecklessEnthusiasm
02-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Awesome advice! I'll do both of those things!

wally-d-feed
02-07-2011, 04:48 AM
The map's (comic-)style is awesome. I am looking forward to seeing more maps like this

ravells
02-07-2011, 05:03 AM
I like the way the font choice adds to the 'cutsey' feel. Definitely with the big A on the bright green. Just a thought, but do you think you should run the labelling of the mountains down the mountain spine? Not sure if it look a bit odd in this context though. I like the cliff edge effect on the mountain coastlines.

RecklessEnthusiasm
02-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Wally - I appreciate it! I hope to make a lot more maps like this!

Ravells - Thanks! As for moving the labeling down the mountain's spine, I would normally do so, but these are for some type of browser-based game and I worry that might make it slightly less easy to read. Thanks for mentioning the cliff effect--apart from that, I feel this this continent looks quite flat. In the next few, I hope to imply more height variations within the actual landmass--ridges, highlands, lowlands, etc.

I have been really really inspired by some of the isometric-style maps that Torstan and Djekspek (probably my two biggest inspirations on this site) have turned out and, I really want to work in this style more.

Diamond
02-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Damn your awesomeness! Why can everyone draw cool mountains but me?!? *stamps off to practice more*

:D

Jaxilon
02-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Nice work RE - I knew you must be up to something :)