PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones Teaser / Trailer

ravells
02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5p18wIQEI&feature=player_embedded#)

And another one here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LW7a_NKMk&NR=1)

Sapiento
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Looks great! I hope they caught the atmosphere of the books.

ravells
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
If I had to ask for anyone to do the show it would have been HBO. I've just been looking at the 'making of' video on the HBO website and it looks like we are in for such a treat. Fantasy for adults (especially in films and on TV (not to be confused with Adult Fantasy of course lol) is so thin on the ground. Roll on April!!!

RecklessEnthusiasm
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm awfully excited about this! I wish the next book would hurry up and come out!

Gidde
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
LMAO Ravs, get out of my head! I ordered hbo a week ago, just finished rereading book 1, amd devoured every trailer i could find last night.

ravells
02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
LOL! I must be the last person on earth who's found out that HBO were makings this. I only discovered it today. RE: I read a comment on one of the you tube trailers: 'At the speed that George RR Martin writes his books, the scriptwriters will have to finish the story for him'.

Gidde: It's funny, but I always like it when I've half forgotten a book when the film is made. I must have read the first book over 8? years ago. Perfect for me as the film will spark little memories, but I can't remember so much that if they decide to do something slightly different I'll notice it.

jtougas
02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I am SO not worthy to call myself a fan of Fantasy.. I had never heard of these books until I saw the trailer.. (off to amazon I go.. ) :)

ravells
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Ohhhhh, you're in for such a treat, jt!!!!! Enjoy!!

Gidde
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
All I can say jt, is buckle up, you're in for a helluva ride!

Actually Ravs, reading it now is sorta doing the same thing for me ... I retain very close to nothing when I read a series, so 3 months from now when the series starts I'll have forgotten most of it. I'm only really rereading now, because I got my mom to read the series and I can't talk about it with her because I keep remembering things out of order.

example (spoiler free)
Mom: I just started the series! It's really good, I'm almost done with book one!
me: Cool, how'd you like the Wedding?

LonewandererD
02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I think i speak for all fans of the book when i say, IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME! Anyone know when the show is being aired in Australia?

-D-

ravells
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM
example (spoiler free)
Mom: I just started the series! It's really good, I'm almost done with book one!
me: Cool, how'd you like the Wedding?

lolol! very good.

Jaxilon
02-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't suppose HBO shows reruns on their website? You know, like most of the regular networks do? I seldom can be sure to be at a TV at a certain time every week on a given day. I probably will have to wait until it's out on DVD or whatever exists at that time.

Gidde
02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
If you have hbo, it might go up on On Demand or whatever your cable/satellite company calls it, not sure. Get thee DVR! I can't even imagine watching a show live at this point. Although I probably will with this one ;)

Steel General
02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm so looking forward to this, but unfortunately I don't have HBO... :(

Diamond
04-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Anybody catch the 15 minute preview on HBO tonight?

It. Was. AWESOME.

Ascension
04-04-2011, 12:25 AM
I saw a tidbit in an ad for HBO while watching sportscenter last week.

Jaxilon
04-04-2011, 01:38 AM
When does this begin, I'm seriously thinking of getting HBO just for this.

geamon
04-04-2011, 02:00 AM
It starts Apr 17 from my recollection. You can check out the 15 min preview here (http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/category/inside-the-series).

tilt
04-04-2011, 02:26 AM
oh... definitly gotta watch that later, looking very much forward to watching the series ... but as most people I also wonder if the can manage to finish the books before the script writers catch up? Then again, now he should be extra motivated :)

Ryan K
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
This series looks like it is full of the win.

ravells
04-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I just can't wait...

greytale
04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I would like to say my decision to take my cable providers deal with HBO deal wasn't swayed by the fact that Game of Thrones was right around the corner. It was, well that and Boardwalk Empire. :) Oh Happy Day.

Diamond
04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
When does this begin, I'm seriously thinking of getting HBO just for this.

That's exactly why I got HBO. :D And a good deal too, 6 months for only an extra $10/month.

Ramah
04-18-2011, 05:41 AM
How about this then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHYH-91VvM&hd=1

Nice map. :)

I guess our american members have already seen the episode but it doesn't air here in the UK until tonight, and then only on stupid Sky Atlantic which is a Sky only channel. We have Virgin Media. :(

Ah well, I'm getting my brother to record it but not sure when I will be able to see it.

EDIT: Linked to a HD version which is much better quality.

ravells
04-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Oh gads, I thought it was on Sky1....I've got virgin media too... :(

Ramah
04-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh gads, I thought it was on Sky1....I've got virgin media too... :(

Yeah, annoying ain't it?

Still... what did you think to the opening sequence? I reckon it's amazing.

ravells
04-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Opening sequence? You mean on the trailers and teasers? They just look fantastic. The sets are mindblowing too.

Ramah
04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
No, I mean the opening sequence that I linked on youTube. It shows the opening credit sequence from the program along with the main music theme of course. Fantastic stuff. Go up a few posts and clicky linky. :)

Jaxilon
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
The 3d growing out of the map is really cool.

Ascension
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
I thought the buildings were more like gears, thus steampunky, but the map was nice and simple. Had political intrigue, duplicitous princes, swords, and dancing girls so I can't complain. Never read the books so I'm experiencing for the first time.

ravells
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Bugger the youtube intro has been removed ... copyright violation..... ah well, maybe best to wait for the boxed set dvd.

I've begun to realise that if you live your life about a year behind new releases, everything becomes much cheaper and there's still so much to watch...:: cries ::

Valtharius
04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Last night's 'Game of Thrones' opening credits were phenomenal! Talk about cartography taken to the next level. The show itself was very well done. The characters look much like what I pictured them to be. Here is a link to the opening credits.

Game of Thrones Opening Credits - Cartographers Dream! (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/18/game-of-thrones-opening-credits-video/)

I've read the books twice over the last few years. Martin writes a good story but he has been SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW with finishing up his story. The final book is complete and will be out in a few months. If you haven't read them, do so. Good story!

~Val

DevinNight
04-18-2011, 09:16 PM
final book? or just the next book?
I'm going to check the credits now.

Diamond
04-18-2011, 11:01 PM
It was so much better than I thought it would be, and my expectations were already sky-high. Based on this first episode, it might be in the top three TV shows or movies I've seen in my life.

The actors, every one, just perfectly nailed each character. They were all just as I imagined they'd be. And Peter Dinklage was just. Damn. Awesome. The Imp rules!

Jaxilon
04-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Hehe, I'm with you ravells. If you skip watching movies for a couple months it's like you can never catch up and you always get to watch them on the cheap. Lately I try to decide if it's the kind of movie that would be better on the big screen or not. Sometimes you just gotta go to the theater for stuff like Star Trek and so on but a lot of stuff it's really not necessary.

Ascension
04-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Movie theatres - I take my nieces for kiddie stuff, everything else is pay per view. PPV is 5 bucks, theatre runs about 80 bucks. I may not be current with what's hot, being 6 months behind, but it doesn't bother me and it saves a lot of cash.

Valtharius
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Supposedly, it is the last book as stated back in 2008. I doubt it though. He changes his mind all the time. I'm truly hoping he has raised the bar with "A Dance With Dragons" and has used the last 4-5 years to work out all the loose ends. The book will be released, so he says, July 12, 2011. He has given out dates since 2007. Let's hope this time the book is released. *crossing my fingers*

~Val

deanatglobe
04-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Unfortunately, not the final book, just the next book. Hopefully the pace will pick up a bit. He wrote himself into a corner he wasn't quite sure how to get out of, which is why the last book took so long.

I thought that opening credit sequence was a beautiful way of laying out the geography for the audience.

Diamond
04-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Not to sound like an HBO shill, but I'm telling you guys (in the US), this show alone is worth the price of HBO every month. Plus, there's True Blood also, my guilty pleasure. :D

ravells
04-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Oh well, my neighbours two doors down have SkyAtlantic (which shows all the HBO stuff) and they have recorded the first episode for me. I can't ask them to do this every week though! I'm going to have to try to find another solution like someone who has a Skybox and who record the episode and burn it onto a DVD for me....that requires a geek friend I think.

Ramah
04-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Ok Ravs, here's another link to the opening credits and it seems to be an official HBO channel so this shouldn't be removed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

I must have watched this about 30 times now... can't wait to watch the actual show. Hehe.

ravells
04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
oh yummy! (I still think Tear's Westeros map looks better though!)

RobA
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Merged threads.

-Rob A>

Valtharius
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Pay channel progamming - Band of Brothers, The Pacific, True Blood, Game of Thrones, Camelot, Spartacus, Boardwalk Empire, The Borgias, Big Love, The Tudors, just to name a few... well worth buying the HBO, Starz, and Showtime channels. Quality programs that don't skimp on the budget to bring the story to life.

Now you're seeing quality shows like The Walking Dead and Justified on cable. Seems like the old Big 3 are afraid of what Hollywood is calling 'heavy programming' and instead stick with blah sitcoms and run of the mill cop-dramas. Same-o, same-o. Good to see fresh ideas and more mature takes on drama.

Just my .02 cents

~Val

Master TMO
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
YouTube link already killed. Anyone know where I can get a download of the intro credits? It'd be a marvelous inspiration for my Gryphii map, where I'm slowly working on building detailed map regions out of sections of the whole world atlas. While I have no intentions (or ability) to duplicate the animation, the change from flat atlas to 3 dimensional representation will help me do the same in my head, and hopefully result in better local maps.

Ramah
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I won't bother posting any more links as HBO's lawyers seem to be chasing them down when they get posted. But if you search for "Game of Thrones Opening" there is still one up at the moment.

ravells
04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
The title sequence is on HBO's own website now: Link Here (http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/about/video/ep-1-title-sequence.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA== )

Ramah
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM
It's officially been renewed for a second season! \o/

LS-Jebus
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
It better be renewed for five seasons. The series has scored very highly with most critics, and fans of the genre and book series. I thought the first episode was very well done. Good pacing, clear introduction of characters, short glimpses of other characters we are yet to meet, good costumes and set, good camerawork, and good dialogue. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough, and I have to wait to see the next episode.

Steel General
04-20-2011, 06:54 AM
It seems that the New York Times panned it, and took quite a bit of flak for their review.

ravells
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I've now seen it and IMO it's virtually faultless.

greytale
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough, and I have to wait to see the next episode. Man I can't agree more, especially since I caught the fifteen minute pre-release. After the hour I was puzzled how movies can still be made 90 minutes long. I guess Martin was right that there really was no way to make them into movies.

I have to say the level of detail is just phenomenal and the scenery is spot on. The first episode really lives up to the book.

Wow between this and the first production video by Peter Jackson on the Hobbit blog, it has been a great couple of weeks for fantasy fans.

Diamond
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
It seems that the New York Times panned it, and took quite a bit of flak for their review.

It's the New York Times. Nuff said.

Clercon
04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
I must say that it looks really promising. I do hope that it succed so we in the future will see more tv-shows based on fantasy books.

Steel General
04-21-2011, 07:08 AM
HBO has announced that it has been renewed for a second season already.

Port Paladine
04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Just to put it out there, Game of Thrones is a new show on HBO, but most of you probably know this. The begining credits is all done with the map of that world and looks killer! The show looks very good and deserving of our support. Check it out.

geamon
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Thread already started here. http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13472-Game-of-Thrones-Teaser-Trailer

RobA
04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
merged.

-Rob A>

Kiarelle Alaisdair
04-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I loved the books and the show seems to be living up to it, very beautifully visually done and great casting. There were a few small things that were slightly off from the books but that's to be expected and they certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment of it. I loved the map in the opening, it was gorgeous.

ravells
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Just watched episode 2....it's just getting better and better. I think I might just have to watch it again!

Ryan K
04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Has HBO ever made a show that wasn't awesome?

LS-Jebus
04-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes. But I can agree that shows on HBO are of a far higher quality than any other channel.

I watched the first episode twice, and I'll do the same with the second. If the quality keeps up, I can put this series on the shelf alongside my other 'good' rated films (I am a harsh critic. The Godfather and pretty much every top rated film on IMDB didn't make it to my shelves. Over-rated they are.)

geamon
05-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Is it me or did anyone notice that the locations change in the opening credits corresponding to the setting for that specific episode (i.e. Pentos vs Lekh Dothraki)?

ravells
05-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Yes, I noticed that too. It's a good way to give people who haven't read the books an idea of the geography without wasting time. I'm also watching 'Camelot' the Starz production - which has beautiful production values but....seems to be missing something.

Ramah
05-10-2011, 04:22 PM
<VERY slight spoiler here so don't click if you haven't seen episode 1 at least... >

Genius! - http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4707/gameofthronesvertical3.jpg

LOL!

Ascension
05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
That's cold. Heh heh.

ravells
05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Very good!

Dygash
05-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Best show this year hands down, can't wait for Friday, well Saturday for me, with the show being uploaded for those of us outside the states.

Midgardsormr
05-19-2011, 10:54 PM
The opener for HBO's new Game of Thrones series is an incredible piece of cartographic animation. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8&feature=player_embedded#at=21

edit: Wow, I have so not been paying attention!

Diamond
05-21-2011, 09:18 PM
This is very quickly becoming my favorite show. Ever. I can't wait until season 2 of AMC's Walking Dead starts; my brain will explode with a combination of zombie and fantasy goodness every weekend. :D

tilt
05-24-2011, 08:15 AM
evil joke Ramah :) ... and what a great show... been a few years since I read the first book but it looks like its staying reasonably true to the story :)

Ascension
06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Damn, we have to wait a whole year now.

Ramah
06-20-2011, 03:24 AM
I have to wait a few days to see the last episode. I hope they made the last scene as good as it is in my head. :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
06-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Oh, they did!

Diamond
06-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh, they did!

Yes. Yes they did. Although....

***SPOILER***

In the book, I thought all her hair got burnt off?

LS-Jebus
06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
It did, in the book. But in a way it could be better the way they did it. As she said earlier in the season, "fire can not hurt a dragon".

RecklessEnthusiasm
06-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Oh, I'd forgotten that bit! Oh well. I really enjoyed revisiting the story, as I read the original when I was still in High School. I have the new book on preorder and can't wait to dive headfirst back into that world.