PDA

View Full Version : Stillmeadows

Piscivorous
02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
I've started on the city of Stillmeadows.

I'm hoping to complete this by month's end. I don't have my compass up yet, but the right side of the map is due north. The city is the namesake of the trail to Bluerock and into the Theocracy further west.

I'll update as I complete areas. I'm looking to improve upon the terracing.

Gidde
02-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Looks like a cool layout! You seem to have a tiling effect in your grass texture that's a bit distracting, though.

Piscivorous
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Looks like a cool layout! You seem to have a tiling effect in your grass texture that's a bit distracting, though.

OK, I think I corrected the grass texture tiling problem. At least it doesn't look like it has seams in this iteration:

Gidde
02-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes, that's much better now. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :)

jtougas
02-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Another good start. :)

Piscivorous
02-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Got some work done today. Added the cliff faces from the trail to Phaelin's Wall and along the eastern terrace between the towers [bottom of map]. Added the cliff face at the top of the map. I also changed the triangular keep and added the buildings around it. Finally, added the West Bench [fancy housing], but not it's paths. Above that, the Light and Heavy Infantry base. Oh and trees, trees, trees!

jtougas
02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Looking good. I really like the feel of these. They feel like I could actually find the things on the map :) Mind your shadows on that bottom row of buildings though they sort of look like they are floating :)

Gidde
02-13-2011, 12:16 AM
This is coming along nicely!

Piscivorous
02-14-2011, 12:56 AM
OK guys. Last night and today, I went through Mark Oliva and the Vintyri Projects FM8 tutorial. At least as far as figuring out layers in FM8 as well as shadows on buildings.

After adding another section last night, I wasn't happy with the built-in shadow tool in FM8. Some of the buildings can't take the FM8 shadow tool, while others lose some crispness. I went over the Vintyri shadow maker. It is a bit cumbersome at first, but by the time I was done, it was a quick piece of cake. So, I have redone all of the structure shadowing with the exception of the outer towers and walls which I built specific to this map and which use the shadow tool quite well. Don't think them buildings are floating anymore.

Anyway, here is how far I got today:

jtougas
02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks great. :)

Piscivorous
02-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Don't worry, I haven't slowed down much!

I've added a bunch of buildings. I want to put in all of the buildings, roads and vegetation, then I'm going to go back and spend a day or so on the shadow layers.

I've got the Lake in and the mayor's keep as well as quite a few other buildings. I also need to plot the outliers [farms mostly] on the bottom of the map. I also have to figure out how I will represent the arena that will go on the first tier in the bottom right of the map. Here is my WIP map:

Ascension
02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't make it a big arena, it's not that big of a town to support it, stock it, or build it in the first place. Maybe a tournament grounds for jousts and arrow-shooting and some melee contests.

Piscivorous
02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Maybe a tournament grounds for jousts and arrow-shooting and some melee contests.

You're much too civilized. ;) This will be a gladiatorial arena.

Piscivorous
03-15-2011, 01:49 AM
OK, I worked on this over the weekend and finished it this evening. Once I got the rest of the buildings in, it was all shadowing and labeling while adding some foliage and the fields and orchard.

Do I move this to finished maps or simply add a new post in finished maps with the attachment?

Steel General
03-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Create a new thread in the Finished maps forum and up-load the final version.

jtougas
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
This turned out really good. :)