PDA

View Full Version : February 2011 Entry: Perpetual Stair

pindercarl
02-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm coming into this one pretty late, so I don't know if I'll time to finish. I only have a few pieces in place so far, but the idea is that it's a spiral staircase that slowly turns while the party descends--like walking down the up escalator. There will also be a couple of extra surprises at the bottom.

###LATEST WIP###

LonewandererD
02-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Oooh, now that's an interesting idea. Like to see this develop.

-D--

pindercarl
02-11-2011, 10:52 PM
As it turns out, I had a little more free time today than I thought.

###LATEST WIP###

waldronate
02-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Unless you've got a way to recycle the top stairs back the bottom, it's still a fixed number of steps down no matter how fast you spin it. An escalator is a continuous belt of stairs - you never run out of stairs when going the wrong way. Otherwise it looks like an interesting idea.

ravells
02-12-2011, 04:34 AM
What waldronate said, but I still think it looks absolutely stunning.

I believe the son of DJspeck has arrived!!!

RjBeals
02-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I tried to tell you - that Mars map was amazing. This guy needs to be watched! He may win both the lite and the standard challenge this month. Double Win!

pindercarl
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Unless you've got a way to recycle the top stairs back the bottom, it's still a fixed number of steps down no matter how fast you spin it. An escalator is a continuous belt of stairs - you never run out of stairs when going the wrong way. Otherwise it looks like an interesting idea.

You're right that it wouldn't really work. I really just wanted to do a Wyle E. Coyote style blueprint with a bunch of gears.

Ascension
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
You need an Acme rocket and some roller skates. :)

Talroth
02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
The other option would be to have the stairs act like a folding fan, and tuck into a single vertical stack rather than a nice and useful spiral stair.

You know, half way down a flight of stairs, and suddenly the stairs all draw back and you have a 100 foot drop into an open pit?

ravells
02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
And then you get that top down view of Wylie with the puff of smoke at the end!!! It would be a nice touch to have ACME in there somewhere :)

jtougas
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I really just wanted to do a Wyle E. Coyote style blueprint with a bunch of gears.

And that is enough.. :) Very very cool !!

lapada
02-17-2011, 11:43 AM
HOly smokes -- makes me wanna sign up XD awesome technical details