PDA

View Full Version : My new logo

ravells
02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I thought I might take a crack at this. I've narrowed it down to 3 contenders:

Here are my thoughts:

'Arty Charty' - Meant to be fun (with the obvious resonances in the title). Pros: Looks cheap and cheerful. Cons: Looks cheap and cheerful, a bit too oblique in its reference to maps?

'Chartistry' - Clean and more mature looking. Pros: Looks upmarket and professional. Cons: Looks expensive and the rhumblines get lost at smaller scales.

'Earthworks' - Has an Industrial 2000 AD sort of feel to me. Pros: Comic feel (is that good?) Cons: the jigsaw pieces look a bit fiddly and don't really scale well. Suggests worldbuilding more than mapping?

What do you guys think? All advice gratefully received!

Gidde
02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Those are really cool! Ravs, it looks like I should hire you for my logo, those look great compared to what I've come up with ;)

ravells
02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Lol! Thanks Gidde, there are much more talented people out there like this guy (http://www.visualrevolt.net/) (scroll down for videos of him going through the process).

I think I'm leaning towards Arty Charty (perhaps Arty Charts sounds a bit better?). I do this for fun and the title isn't as pompous as Chartistry. I might make the logo a bit less cartoony....dunno. Let's see what other people think. Do you have a favourite out of the three?

ravells
02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Ah, I think I've got there. New idea. It covers both historical and fantasy cartography and gets away from the sphere motif. The logo is scalable, and works in any colour and shouldn't interfere with the map. Should be good for search engines too, hopefully.

Gidde
02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Ohh, I like that. And thanks for the video link, off to watch it now!

tilt
02-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I leaned more towards Chartistry - but I like kthe HbD logo - the bottom line is a little light, gotta be carefull in printing and against "messy" backgrounds :)
... if anyone is interested here (http://www.catapult.dk/logoer-catapult.htm) are some I made :)

Gidde
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Nice, tilt, I didn't know you do logo design as well!

ravells
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Holey Moley, tilt, those are fantastic!

ravells
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Had a little play....made the bottom text heavier.

Jaxilon
02-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I also liked Chartistry best but then you made the HbD one and that's very nice as well. Plus, it's just a cool name if you can snag control of it. It's almost like the first one who created an actual "widget". Anyway, really nice job. I'll have to think more about mine now.

TheRedEpic
02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Designs are nice and branding is always cool, but you could always just go with your name. If you want to get fancy than fancy it up with glyphs and stuff, but i always thought having a name that someone can read on your map is a good thing. But it can go both ways honestly.

ravells
02-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Cheers, I've always just used my name before, but this looked like good fun to do!

Ascension
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm all in for Chartistry. Looks very professional but if you want to tone down the high-class feel maybe throw a thin outline of a continent over the rhumbs or maybe a sailboat. Earthworks is exactly what you said, world-building and for that it's perfect. Arty Charts look kinda kid-oriented.

Edit: Here's another idea for the rhumbs...thicken them up a tad and put a fleur-de-lis on the north-pointing line or maybe a big one in the center.

ravells
02-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Argh....Ascension's come up with the goods, I've redone Chartistry following big A's advice, I really like it and now I'm really conflicted between the two...

I really like both the names. Chartistry leaves a wider field.....I'm leaning towards Chartistry now, and I'm begining to like the design of the HbD less.

arrgh. I think I might set up a poll.

edit: geamon - my apologies for jacking your thread...do you want me to split this off?

torstan
02-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I like Chartistry. Perhaps bump the A up to the Caps height? What would you do for a thumbnail version of the logo - just the 3/4 rose?

tilt
02-12-2011, 03:39 PM
well, as mentioned earlier I like Chartistry - and the name covers wider ground - however I really like the HbD logo with the "bulge" in north-west - have a nice feel to it :)

and thanks Gidde and Ravi for the nice words :)

ravells
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I was going to say that if Torstan, Ascension, Jax and Tilt thought the Chartistry was better, then it's a no brainer. But my wife (who works a lot with branding) says 'HbD' is more 'me'. Great.

I think a poll may be too self indulgent. I might just sleep on it.

torstan
02-12-2011, 04:05 PM
One way to decide would be to have a look at the domain names that are available? Best to brand yourself with a site you can get.

Gidde
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Not to contradict your wife, but I like Chartistry too. Although that's such a cool title that Torstan's advice is extremely relevant. It may not be available.

ravells
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Great idea Torstan...

chartistry.com has gone (but I've bought .co.uk and org), looks like .com has been bought by a carpetbagger from typing in the email address, I might put in an auction bid for it later.

herebedragons.com and .co.uk have both gone. hbd. everything also seems to have gone.

Looks like chartistry it is then!

Jax, if you want 'Here be Dragons' please be my guest (not that you need my permission).

Thanks Torstan!!!

Lol! I feel like I'm about to start some new multi-million pound business rather than feeding my hobby, but this is fun.

RobA
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I liked Chartistry, so glad you went that way.

Jared- I was going to just use RobA but it is way too common... and my last name, Antonishen is way too long, hence coming up with Cartocopia.

-Rob A>

ravells
02-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Cheers RobA & Gidde, you've just put any lingering doubts to rest. I love it when a decision is taken out of my hands by things I have no control over!

Tell the truth, I didn't want to do anything with derivatives of 'Cartography' as I felt I might be stepping on your toes.

ravells
02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Well that's that then. What do I do now...it's either the big city or the font....ugh.

I have website to build!

I might have to get Serif's Webplus (which they've been trying to push on me for ages). I'll have to haggle hard <g>.

jtougas
02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Here Be Dragons is just cool it sums up everything in a neat package. :)

ravells
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh....no...no...no...don't bring those lingering doubts back!!!!! (you horrible person!).

I've offered it to Jax (not that I have any ownership or anything) but if he doesn't want it, then you have my second blessing, jt!

Gidde
02-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Well that's that then. What do I do now...it's either the big city or the font....ugh.

I have website to build!

I might have to get Serif's Webplus (which they've been trying to push on me for ages). I'll have to haggle hard <g>.

Eew ... Web-development software is *usually* (i'm sure someone will post an example of one that's really not at all, really!) just vector software repackaged with a few canned "effects" that make your page look like a lot of other pages out there. You already have the tools you need to make cool pages.

jtougas
02-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Well thank you very much :) I have been toying with the idea of creating a logo for myself as well.

Jaxilon
02-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Which is a very gracious offer imo.

I do however already have my website 'Rivengard (http://www.rivengard.com)' so what I really need is to make a logo for that. I haven't really worked on it because I'm still working on getting all the legal stuff done. It just costs money to register stuff and all that baloney that goes along with it. I've only got so much I can spend on what amounts at this time to a part time hobby. On top of that I use a Pseudonym 'Jaxilon' which means I would be adding yet another name to the list....seems too crazy even for me. :)

Once again the helpful attitude of folks in this Guild continues to be amazing. If JT can't really use the name I have an idea for another use of it but I'm happy to let it go wherever it can do the most good for someone. (not that I have a hold on it anyway) :)

ravells
02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
:x:xWell one of us better use it soon!

Who knows who might be reading!:o

Steel General
02-13-2011, 09:59 AM
@Ravs - Of the first 3 I liked 'Chartistry' & 'Earth Works', but 'Here Be Dragons' is really cool as well.

@Tilt - Nicely done.!

ravells
02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I've trying to settle on a final design for the logo....A2 and C2 are my favourites so far. I really like the bottle of ink logo, but the Compass C looks quite good too. C1 has a more Victorian signage type feel and I can do more with colour with the Cs and the Bs. I think I prefer the square B2 to the rectangular B1.

Do any of them look better or worse to you? (Or do they all look crap? lol!).

Gidde
02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I like the A's and the C's ... my favorite is A2. The B's don't do much for me.

tilt
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
now you're talking... very nice - and I like the 3rd column with mini-logos. I like A2 the most - although the compass arrows look bend under the C. I also like C1 - but don't think the bottle conveys ink and thus may be more confusing than good is. Also C1 does give me associations to something edible with that bow - like jam.. or sausage *lol*

torstan
02-14-2011, 03:38 PM
A2 with A3 as a mini-logo. That looks great.

ravells
02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Cool, thanks all! That's settled then!

Ascension
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Yep, A2 and A3 for me as well.

RobA
02-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I also like A2. Can you create a rounder C though? (or pick a rounder font)?

-Rob A>

jtougas
02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
A2 & c2 :)

Rythal
02-14-2011, 10:08 PM
A1 and A3 for me.

kimey
02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
A2. A1 is very nice, however I think there's a slight optical allusion going on with the cap "C" I wonder whether as it's close to the compass it's making the "C" baseline look higher than the rest of the type.

rdanhenry
02-15-2011, 03:10 AM
I'd kind of like to see A1 with the fleur-de-lis solid as in A2.