PDA

View Full Version : Regional something using Paint.NET... in progress

PeaceHeather
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm back into mapping again for the first time since... oh, 2009, I think. My preferred prog, Paint.NET, has updated since then, there are lots of new plugins to enjoy, and I'd forgotten a lot since the last time I was here. So most of my noodling around is about experimenting and re-teaching myself how it's all done. Here's my most recent thing:

If it were you, apart from rivers and lakes, what would you do next?

Cheers!
Heather

Ascension
02-12-2011, 07:09 PM
I would tone down the really bright spots. Otherwise, looks great.

PeaceHeather
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah... I was going for sunlight on snow on clouds with the very top layer of the image. It looks fine without it, but for some reason I like my satellite pictures of nonexistent places to have atmosphere. :D

jtougas
02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Looks very good. The coastline spatter is awesome :)

PeaceHeather
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Many thanks, and aw shucks! Um.. coastline spatter... you mean the color or the irregularity?
<=noob in disguise

jtougas
02-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Many thanks, and aw shucks! Um.. coastline spatter... you mean the color or the irregularity?
<=noob in disguise

LoL sorry I tend to just make up my own words.. I meant the irregularity it's just about perfect :)

PeaceHeather
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm glad you think so, since of course I spent DAYS lovingly hand-crafting each pixel and placing it with care... *cough*
Threshold. It is teh awesums.

I finally gave in and downloaded Wilbur last night, which I have virtually no idea how to use, just so I can craft some plausible rivers without having to *actually* hand-craft each pixel. Wish me luck with that..

Ascension
02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Make sure you read the Wilbur tuts; they're buried way back in the vault but are invaluable.

PeaceHeather
02-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Welp, I've managed to get my map into Wilbur and kinda sorta add waterways, then bring it back out again. (Yes I know about those curiously straight rivers; I plan to ignore/redraw them depending on whether I bother to keep the landmass on the left.)

So, um, now I'm stuck. I've got a blue layer with rivers, and allll lthe rest of my picture without, and how to merge them without it looking hideous is beyond my awareness and/or my abilities at the moment. Nargle.

euio
02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I would just trace the rivers on a new layer above your original map (but below the clouds, of course), and then fool with colours and opacity till it blends. They ought to come out just fine if you're zoomed in enough while you trace.

PeaceHeather
02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey! A fellow PDN user! Maybe you can tell me if there's a way to get lines to taper and squiggle and all that good stuff, to make rivers whenever and wherever I want to.

euio
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Best way I've found is to use the paintbrush tool, 1 pixel to draw your rivers. If you zoom in to about 300-500%, you can control exactly where you want them to go. To make them wider, retrace just a little to the side with the same brush width. The little gaps and irregularities you'll get this way make t look more natural and give the appearance of current. Then, to taper it off less than one pixel, say, at the source, the a circular transparency gradient where you want it to start and it will look to be very naturally shrinking.

Really the main thing is to zoom in really far to be able to control in perfectly.