PDA

View Full Version : Longtime lurker firsttime poster LONG

lostatsea
02-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Where to start? Lets see I have been a Member for about 2 years now.I followed a link from RPG.net .I am More of a skulker than a lurker. Since being a child I have had a need to create however being very left-brained it has always been hard. With the advent of modern art software it became a bit easier( it is almost impossible to erase through digital paper, I have come close though) :) I have spent a great deal of time collecting tutorials from the excellent posts here. I also have a large collection of maps saved for inspiration. As my name (lostatsea) insinuates I have little direction to my "artwork". I sort of go with the tide so to speak. Anyways I have a basic direction in which I want to go but I am still developing the techniques to get where I want to go. I think you'll find my technique a bit different then what is typically used. An anti technique if you will. I once saw an art student cover an entire canvas with solid charcoal and then with only a gum eraser, a finger and a smudge stick, pull out an extremely detailed still life of a wicker chair a teddybear a throw and ballet slippers. I don't have that kind of talent but I work alot in the negative space and a colud brush and the eraser are my favorite tools. For those still reading this I'll throw in an easter egg. I was sorting through files found a picture of scrolls "photoshopped" a couple of my own WIP into it and set it as wallpaper on my desktop. You should be more careful who you let join!! :) Cheers

jtougas
02-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Welcome !! (And it's a good thing they're not particular otherwise I'd have never gotten in..) :)

Jaxilon
02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Welcome aboard. Don't worry about how you do things. It's often the best way to find something totally different.

Redrobes
02-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Welcome, I am curious about your techniques now. I use some pretty unusual ones myself. Post em when your ready to share.

PeaceHeather
02-12-2011, 10:28 PM
My own opinion is that the willingness to just wing it and see where it takes you is a crucial element in creating art. My maps might be noob-level, but I also work as a henna artist - and have managed to make (lunch) money with a surprisingly large proportion of improvised designs over pre-drawn patterns.

Go forth, and wing. :)

Gidde
02-13-2011, 12:25 AM
I sense a kindred spirit, as I too am a naturally non-artistic person who with a LOT of determination, will, and reading of these boards has learned to create some passable stuff :) Welcome!!

ravells
02-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Welcome to the guild, lostatsea! When I first saw your picture I thought you'd used the reference picture I worked off (cut out from a magazine) to make this ships compass (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13367-Ships-Compass).
But the reference picture I have has the needle pointing to about 340 degrees and yours is pointing to 160 ish. Must be more than one picture out there!

Steel General
02-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Welcome Aboard!

jbgibson
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Welcome, lostatsea . "...Different techniques..." Yay! Variety being good, and my own knowledge being deficient, more ways to do stuff is stellar!

As for that being a long post; nope, un-unh, no-way, nohow, not true. You owe us another several kilobytes just to get up to moderate length :-).

-jbgibson,
the often very verbose

NeonKnight
02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the Guild!